Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK my fan will turn on, on its own while the engine isn't hot and it will do it in the middle of the night. So when I am not around the fan will turn on and run down my battery.

So if I am correct the wire that is connected to that switch on the bottom of the radiator is a thermostat switch that when it gets the right temperature it will switch connecting that wire to ground thus causing the fan relay to energize and turn on the fan, is this correct?

Since I have never seen a relay energize on its own I am thinking the thermostat is the culprit in this case. If I am right I will have to replace that and go through the whole water refilling process, correct?

So if that is the case, I think I would rather put a inline switch in the BK/Y wire to kill the power going to the fan and make a note to turn the switch on my bike until it is a habit. Right now I am unplugging the wire at the radiator and I have a little difficulty getting up off my knees so this isn't an option right now.

So this brings me to this question. Is there a place I can access that power wire higher up on the bike so I don't have to mess with putting an extra wire around the engine or radiator to put that switch in.

Thank you!
Richard

·
mayor of Narnia
248 Posts
Why not just switch the thermostat wire to ground ? that is what the bikes thermostat switch does

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Thinking there's a bullet connector on the BK/Y (ground wire) about halfway up the frame tube on the left side, or somewhere.

I'll bet those fan switches can be found in auto parts, just like I found the oil switch for 1/3 the price of OEM. Myself, I would probably unscrew the switch, hold my thumb over the hole, get the new one threaded quick, top off the radiator, instead of draining the whole system.

But yes, just throw a switch on the BK/Y and hope you remember to use it. At least it's a ground and can't let the magic smoke out of the harness. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts