Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased 2 VN750's (a'93 and '94). Both have a slow starter issue, but both starters check out to be good and run the same on the bench test. I even rebuilt one with a kit, even though it didn't really need it just to see if the the bench test rpm's improved, and it made no difference. The starters will usually turn over the engine until compression stroke, then solenoid begins clicking. I can bump the button a couple times until it gets past the compression stroke and then it will turn the engine until the next compression stroke. The battery is new and I don't believe either starter is bad. So.....what next?

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
The starters will usually turn over the engine until compression stroke, then solenoid begins clicking.
You have a loose connection, or the battery doesn't have enough cranking amps (weak/defective).

A load test is needed to check the battery.

Check/clean all connections, pay attention to where terminal ends are crimped onto cables, they can get loose there.

Check the grounds on the engine as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,567 Posts
You have a loose connection, or the battery doesn't have enough cranking amps (weak/defective).

A load test is needed to check the battery.

Check/clean all connections, pay attention to where terminal ends are crimped onto cables, they can get loose there.

Check the grounds on the engine as well.
+1. clicking solenoid is the key clue here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts