Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new here, and I hope you won't mind if I post questions about my 1985 VN700, since its effectively the same bike...:)

I had a stupid new rider problem a couple of weeks ago, in which I thought "Pri" on the petcock was for Primary. So gas flooded the carbs and got into the crankcase. My basic symptoms was that it would not start when warmed up. I changed the oil (and filter) and cleaned the screen. I idled it a couple of minutes to fill the oil filter and topped it off.

I took the wee beastie out today after this, after letting it sit for a couple of hours. She ran a little bit better after this, however I've still got a couple of hanging on problems. When I started it several times today, the bike started right up, but as soon as I turned the throttle, it would die. Either that or application of throttle would make it rev, but not come back down to idle. There is no rhyme or reason to this. In fact, a couple of times, I actually had it die when riding (hitting the start switch was enough to bring it back to life).

The other thing I noticed was a clattering sound from the bottom of the engine, at low RPMs. (Clattering might not be the right term, but its the best I can come up with.) I'm not sure if this is normal, but in the event that it is not, I wanted to bring it up before I damage anything.

All of my riding today was in my subdivision, mainly riding cul-de-sacs, speeds 30 MPH or less, 2nd or 3rd gear.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
--Storm16

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
One problem with the stalling could be the battery. Alot here go with the maintenance free ones. More $$'s but better performance.

The clattering could possibly be the ACCT (Auto Cam Chain Tensioner) spring.
I just changed mine and no more Rattle Rattle Rattle !!

I'd also change the oil & filter atleast one more time if ya know gas got into it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hyperbuzzin said:
One problem with the stalling could be the battery. Alot here go with the maintenance free ones. More $$'s but better performance.

The clattering could possibly be the ACCT (Auto Cam Chain Tensioner) spring.
I just changed mine and no more Rattle Rattle Rattle !!

I'd also change the oil & filter atleast one more time if ya know gas got into it.
Thank you! Someone on the kawasakimotorcycle.org forums said that it could very well be the rod bearings, and to stop riding it immediately. However, I didn't see how that was possible since the previous owner had the crankshaft and connecting rods replaced and new seals/gaskets intalled in 10/05. and it had a tank leak, so has only been ridden for a couple of hours this year. (I've only put a total of 8 miles on it.) This sounds not only more reasonable costwise but [hopefully] more likely.

Very cool that you have done Skyline Drive. I live about 20 miles from it down in Virginia, and as I gain some confidence with the bike (my first), I plan to make that one of my first long rides.

--Storm16

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Hopefully it isn't the crankshaft or anything else more indepth !!
The ACCT is just a possibility, having not heard the "clattering" myself.

Are ya familiar with the poor mans engine stethescope ?
Get a long (10" or so) screwdriver, place the end of the handle against your ear and the tip against different parts of the engine (while it's running). You should hear the noise louder as you get closer to it. This may help narrow down the potential problem.
Just watch out for the hot engine & exhaust !!! :doh:

Skyline is an awesome ride, as well as the Blue Ridge Expressway (which doesn't have the restrictive 35mph speed limits which make mountain roads not~so~much fun !!)

Just take your time with riding. Always be aware of EVERYTHING that's around you. And never be over confident in your abilities.
Over confidence is not the same as experience.
The first can lead to accidents, as the second can lead to a way out of an accident.

Enjoy your ride, and I hope ya get everything straightened out.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Here's a thought - I've heard this one over and over. If you had it on Pri, then there's a possiblity that some crud got into your carbs. They say to run Seafoam through it (the product, not foam from the sea) - like about 3 oz to a tank of gas. The other fix would be to take your carbs out and clean them. The symptom of revving the engine, but not having it go back to idle sounds like something stuck in the carb - seeing how the carb controls the engine speed. Before taking the carbs apart, try dumping the fuel in the floats and cleaning the little needle valve in there. I've been told you can get Seafoam at most auto parts stores.

Having never done it, how do you get gas in your crankcase?

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Gas can get into the crankcase any time gas flows freely through the carbs - such as when parked with petcock on pri AND the float needles don't seal. In that case, gas will run down the intake and usually into the cylinder - from the cylinder it will leak past the rings into the crankcase.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cegodsey said:
Here's a thought - I've heard this one over and over. If you had it on Pri, then there's a possiblity that some crud got into your carbs. They say to run Seafoam through it (the product, not foam from the sea) - like about 3 oz to a tank of gas. The other fix would be to take your carbs out and clean them. The symptom of revving the engine, but not having it go back to idle sounds like something stuck in the carb - seeing how the carb controls the engine speed. Before taking the carbs apart, try dumping the fuel in the floats and cleaning the little needle valve in there. I've been told you can get Seafoam at most auto parts stores.

Having never done it, how do you get gas in your crankcase?
I have SeaFoam in the gas tank right now. I'm just a little leary about running the bike lest something important break. :)

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I think I'd change the oil again to make sure your gas is all out of there. It's so hard to diagnose a noise that only you can hear, but I'd think that there may be other members not to far from you that might be able to give a listen and compare it to theirs.

It sounds like your float needles need replacing, and as a matter of fact, your carbs sound like they need cleaning. Sounds like your pilot circuit needs cleaning. The revving at idle is generally a sign that the pilot circuit is clogged.

Well, anyway, you've come to the right place to get help. Welcome and good luck getting her back up and running!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fergy said:
I think I'd change the oil again to make sure your gas is all out of there. It's so hard to diagnose a noise that only you can hear, but I'd think that there may be other members not to far from you that might be able to give a listen and compare it to theirs.
I thought about that...The other thing I thought about was recording it on the laptop an creating an mp3 that I could upload. But I am not sure if it will be good enough. I was thinking about making recordings from the front (at the wheel), and from both sides.

It sounds like your float needles need replacing, and as a matter of fact, your carbs sound like they need cleaning. Sounds like your pilot circuit needs cleaning. The revving at idle is generally a sign that the pilot circuit is clogged.

Well, anyway, you've come to the right place to get help. Welcome and good luck getting her back up and running!
Thanks...Though you make it sound like my work is cut out for me.

--Storm

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
The sound file would be a cool thing to try.

Carbs aren't hard to work on. They're more difficult to take off the bike and put on than to clean, really. If you've never messed with carbs, of course there's a first time for everything, but if you don't want to, there are options. http://wgcarbs.com/ is a friend of mine and he's a real carb guru. Really knows his stuff, so he's there if you need him.

I've rebuilt many carbs, starting with trucks, jeeps and cars I've owned over the years, to the previous two bikes I've owned, both with 4 carbs. I wouldn't call myself any expert, but I had to start somewhere.... Good luck!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fergy said:
The sound file would be a cool thing to try.
Let me see what I can come up with. I don't think the mic on the laptop will cut it, but I'll see if I can get something more decent. I have a headset, but it will probably be marginal at best.

Carbs aren't hard to work on. They're more difficult to take off the bike and put on than to clean, really. If you've never messed with carbs, of course there's a first time for everything, but if you don't want to, there are options. http://wgcarbs.com/ is a friend of mine and he's a real carb guru. Really knows his stuff, so he's there if you need him.

I've rebuilt many carbs, starting with trucks, jeeps and cars I've owned over the years, to the previous two bikes I've owned, both with 4 carbs. I wouldn't call myself any expert, but I had to start somewhere.... Good luck!
Thats good, but I would rather have someone with the experience my first time. I have done no work on carbs, in fact, the I haven't owned a carbuerated car in over 20 years. Everything has been fuel injected. That said, I do enjoy doing my own maintenance...

--Storm

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Have you ever asked 'why' the bearings were replaced?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.