Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm working on removing my engine so I can replace the cylinder base gaskets over the winter. I've got everything ready for removal except the 3 yellow wires that go to the alternator. As I understand it the wires should come apart at the connection in the posted picture. They won't budge, and I don't want to do any damage. Does this look the way it's supposed to or is this something a previous owner did, or am I just thick and don't understand what I'm doing here. Can I snip these and solder them after I reinstall the engine? I've read that I can connect any of the yellow wires to one another. Is this also the case? And wow, those look terrible up close in this photo.
Automotive tire Wood Gas Rope Metal

· Super Moderator
2003 VN750
11,044 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm working on removing my engine so I can replace the cylinder base gaskets over the winter. I've got everything ready for removal except the 3 yellow wires that go to the alternator. As I understand it the wires should come apart at the connection in the posted picture. They won't budge, and I don't want to do any damage. Does this look the way it's supposed to or is this something a previous owner did, or am I just thick and don't understand what I'm doing here. Can I snip these and solder them after I reinstall the engine? I've read that I can connect any of the yellow wires to one another. Is this also the case? And wow, those look terrible up close in this photo.
View attachment 55434

Yes, just cut and re-solder. they connect any which way.

Look like they've been hot. Are they still yellow? Give them a close look all the way to the RR, might want to replace some.

· Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, just cut and re-solder. they connect any which way.

Look like they've been hot. Are they still yellow? Give them a close look all the way to the RR, might want to replace some.
Great. They are still yellow as far as I can see but they’ve been taped up in parts so I’ll have to take it off and have a look. They’re also very brittle.
Thanks for the help. This is going to be an adventure. I’ve never done it before so I’m nervous and looking forward to it at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
2003 VN750
11,044 Posts
Great. They are still yellow as far as I can see but they’ve been taped up in parts so I’ll have to take it off and have a look. They’re also very brittle.
Thanks for the help. This is going to be an adventure. I’ve never done it before so I’m nervous and looking forward to it at the same time.

That brittleness is probably from age and heat, they're just about shot I'd guess.

Good luck!

· Super Moderator
2003 VN750
11,044 Posts
Thanks man! I’m taking my time so hopefully I won’t destroy or forget anything.

You're welcome.

Take pictures, it can really help if you forget anything. Engine mounts are one place people tend to forget.

You'll be going pretty deep to change those gaskets. Don't even take the cams out unless you have to, don't want to mix them up. The cam journal saddles too.

Your stator was working alright? Good time for any work there, and the damper bushings too.

· Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're welcome.

Take pictures, it can really help if you forget anything. Engine mounts are one place people tend to forget.

You'll be going pretty deep to change those gaskets. Don't even take the cams out unless you have to, don't want to mix them up. The cam journal saddles too.

Your stator was working alright? Good time for any work there, and the damper bushings too.
I take so many pictures. No way I could remember everything without. The coolant was seeping out of those gaskets pretty bad by the end of summer so I figured it was time. Thanks for the advice on the cams. Hopefully I wont have to take them out. I haven’t had any issues with my stator. It’ll probably go out a few days after I get my engine back in the bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts