Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
87 VN750 Lookin Good
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only 13v AC from my stator leads and my volt meter goes down to 10 volts as the engine warms up. I ordered the heavy duty stator and a rectifier/regulator and gaskets. You have to be kidding me I have to remove the engine to replace the stator???? HELP!:doh:

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Yep gotta pull the engine. Since you have it pulled you might consider the tuxedo stator plate mod.

·
87 VN750 Lookin Good
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I was hoping the stator mod could be put in without removing engine LOL I have 27666 miles on it now. New stator(H.D.) and rectifier should last another 27666 miles.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
It can be put in w/o pulling engine. However, the process is only a few steps away from pulling motor anyways.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
And IMHO its safer to do with the engine pulled. More room to work and you don't have to worry about your bike tipping over onto you.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I shyed away from doing an engine pull also, to do my upper cam chains....Im sorry I did...shouldda pulled it in autumn....now, I may end up being late for riding season (a little)....at least these bikes have the removable frame section to allow for easier removal...60's and 70's bikes didnt have that, and it was a real chore....these tend to be 10x easier from what Ive been told...

Good time to do yer splines too....btw....

·
87 VN750 Lookin Good
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh well...

I ordered the parts and will pull the motor, I just wonder how to disconnect the driveshaft or front part by the engine case to disconnect it; I think it is the front bevel?? Will I need more gaskets? I will lube the shaft, I may be able to disconnect it to get the engine out.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I ordered the parts and will pull the motor, I just wonder how to disconnect the driveshaft or front part by the engine case to disconnect it; I think it is the front bevel?? Will I need more gaskets? I will lube the shaft, I may be able to disconnect it to get the engine out.
New Rider instructed me through it. I forget the details. I;ll let New Rider explain.

:smiley_th

·
Waitin2Ride
45 Posts
to remove your driveshaft, you need to remove the front bevel gear. Unbolt it and slide it out and forward a bit. should come out smoothly. You will probably need new gaskets, but it will be cheaper to buy gasket material and make your own. When I made mine, I used line chalk (blue) and dusted it over the areas that needed a gasket and then placed the part on the gasket material and applied a bit of pressure. The chalk leaves a nice outline on the paper for the new gasket.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
............ New stator(H.D.) and rectifier should last another 27666 miles.
Good luck with that. I bought the Ricks "HD" stator and it lasted 400 miles before the cheap Chineese wire melted together in the case at the stator itself. Second replacement the engine case got the Tuxedo mod! Never did get my replacement or money back from Ricks. Guess they lost it in the mail.:loser1:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
to remove your driveshaft, you need to remove the front bevel gear.
I just unbolted the engine and spun it to the right and it disconnected. Lined it back up and spun the engine back straight to put it back in. Spun the rear tire just a tad to line the spline up.

·
87 VN750 Lookin Good
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re replacement @ 400 miles

I ordered mine from racetech electric with triple insulation high output with a voltmeter they have a lifetime warranty and epoxy coated

·
87 VN750 Lookin Good
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Chuck

Great Chuck, I ordered the gasket for it, I worry about the simplest things LOL:pepper:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
to remove your driveshaft, you need to remove the front bevel gear. Unbolt it and slide it out and forward a bit. should come out smoothly.
HEADS UP WARNING HERE
Sliding the drive shaft out the front of the swingarm shaft tube only allows you to examine the female splines in the coupler.

Follow Fergy's directions in this link to pull the rear wheel so you can examine, clean and lube the pinion splines on the final drive where it fits into the driveshaft coupler too.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26

You should also follow wib714's instructions starting somewhere around post 40 for separating the final drive from the wheel hub and examining, cleaning and lubing the wheel drive hub.

While the wheel is off, it is a good time to check, clean and lube the drum brake components on the other side of the wheel too. :smiley_th

·
Hoser
118 Posts
You might as well pull the engine completely. It seems overwhelming, but if you read the manual and keep everything organised, it really isn't that bad. I would recommend that you change the rubber counterbalancer bushings and internal shift linkage while you have it open. Also, have a look at the valve seals. These are cheap preventatives that you will not regret later.

This is also a great time to clean everything you can reach with simple green and a rag. It will look like a different bike when you're done.

·
87 VN750 Lookin Good
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
shifter rod

It is pretty clean already, I had the shifter Rod inside the motor rewelded last fall when it quit. So putting in the stator should be the last thing and rectifier for a long time. Everything else was good , rings valves ect. Thanks steve

·
87 VN750 Lookin Good
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got somewhere

Finally got engine pulled and stator in and rectifier with relocation done now waiting on cheapcycle parts.com to send the gaskets, what a chore to pull engine especially with the air box and wiring harness. good thing i did it at work in my automotive bay!

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Finally got engine pulled and stator in and rectifier with relocation done now waiting on cheapcycle parts.com to send the gaskets, what a chore to pull engine especially with the air box and wiring harness. good thing i did it at work in my automotive bay!
Might consider doing an ear shave which eliminates the air box altogether. Plus, it'll give the bike a few more ponies to boot.

·
87 VN750 Lookin Good
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Concidered it

I have a 1987 and it is getting to be a classic, I am doing things that can easily be reversed to keep it original and don't want to rejet carbs ect. ect. and I just got brand new K-N filters it runs pretty good basically stock. Engine was rebuilt last fall. Thanks, Steve

1 - 20 of 21 Posts