Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tore my check valve attempting a POOGS fix and it leaks like a sieve. Lmk what you have, TIA.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The orange silicone umbrella valve inside. It's leaking from the overflow line at the bottom of the frame.

·
Registered
450 Posts
It's leaking cause the tank has to much pressure, means it is working-it's good. Take the hole valve out anyway if I where you.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
It's leaking cause the tank has to much pressure, means it is working-it's good. Take the hole valve out anyway if I where you.
are you saying that if i take the orange thing out it will stop the poogs?

but will it spit gas out on a hot day?

·
Registered
450 Posts
The gas cap has several functions, I won't mention all, but most. The poog problem is due to the alluminum corrosion from gasoline and water in the air. The way the cap works, It is suppose to keep the fuel in and also allow the tank to breath in and out due to temps atmospheric pressures etc. The valve in there is the part that tries to keep the fuel in even if tank was upside down due to a accident. The smallest parts of the vent line from tank to vent tube under bike is in the cap at just under 1/16 inch (valve is even smaller with several holes) If the corrosion gets in the valve it will render it useless. You have to remove the valve completely to make a good effect to the poogs. Like I said before the line is small and can still be blocked sometime but not nearly as possible. I opened up those lines more on mine to prevent any issues later and even included an filter to prevent some contamints.

The valve opens and closes on whichever side the air needs to breath. You can think of the valve as a sypon or check valve if it doesn't work at times. Air is compressable, liquid is not. If you open the line more it will breath more and the fuel in a sense will fall into the tank in such a splash inside. The fuel will not beat gravity, the cap is higher. You could get a couple drops but not much motorcrossing(Ever notice the much higher vent tube coming out of their caps?), Normal road riding, about nil.

·
Registered
450 Posts
are you saying that if i take the orange thing out it will stop the poogs?

but will it spit gas out on a hot day?
Don't just take the orange flapper out, take the hole plastic valve out underneath it. No it will not leak on a hot day, it will only vent the air in the tank.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll take your advice and remove it completely. It was leaking after I filled up and after I got back to the house. I always fill my tanks as full as possible so it's easier to duplicate every time for an accurate mileage. The valving was submerged after I filled up the tank with cool gasoline and rode home in 100 degree heat.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Good deal, try it. What do you have to loose, you already planned on buying a new one right? You will be fine with it completely removed though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts