Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm a newbie on here as well as the cruiser scene so please bear with me. I'm looking to buy a rear luggage rack for my '06 VN750. There are two black aluminum pipes on both sides of the passenger backrest that look like they accept maybe an OEM rack. Just got the bike and I haven't done any homework yet. Any and all assistance would be much appreciated, especially if you have one!:smiley_th

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
The kawa rack actually slides under the tool box and bolts into a frame under seat, you will see 2 bolt holes where it bolts straight down.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Luggage Rack

The OEM rack is no longer available. You will find one once in a while here on this forum or on E-Bay. A good one goes for $150 or upwards. There are some members of this forum that have made a rack that works and looks pretty good.

Mcneuby

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
I know I'm a newbie on here as well as the cruiser scene so please bear with me. I'm looking to buy a rear luggage rack for my '06 VN750. There are two black aluminum pipes on both sides of the passenger backrest that look like they accept maybe an OEM rack. Just got the bike and I haven't done any homework yet. Any and all assistance would be much appreciated, especially if you have one!:smiley_th
Let us know where you are from although MASSrider could possibly be a hint. There may be a few Vulcan owners near your city. Are the two aluminum pipes you are referring to horizontal or vertical? They may be something added by the PO and not something that will work unless custom fabricated to fit. A few pictures would help but you need to post a few more messages before you can do that. Do a search for rear luggage racks and you will find what a few other owners have built and used due to the high price and limited availibility of OEM racks.

Good luck.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
good luck finding the kawi rack. I really wish I could find a practical solution for my rack to incorperate a toolbox. I am still working on it and believe I am pretty close to making it work ( ok it works but I think it looks like crap so I wouldn't feel good about selling it). But I have had nothing but positive reviews from the few members who have my rack. Just wanted to give you more options than the hard to find ( and expensive) kawi rack.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
@M_Angell: Just curious about your rack that you have made for your ride. I have been pondering a solution since the luggage rack seems so scarce and expensive when found.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Well what do you want to know?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
What's it look like? any pix?

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
of course I make a panel that covers where the tool box goes. Due to the shape of my rack you lose the stock tool box. I am still working on a replacement box that looks good ( I have a prototype done but it looks gnarly).

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I remember seeing this in another post. Didn't remember who had made them. Looks like it works though. That is part of the adventure for me, trying to dream something up to make mine just a little different.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
yeah my rack has been in a few threads ( lol ). It works great and will hold more than you would ever want to load onto it. Put it this way, if I can put all of my weight on it and it won't flex you would never have a problem ( I weigh 255lbs btw ). You would have a better chance of shearing the bolts off before my rack moves. I am actually anticipating a new thread to pop up about the last one I just shipped out.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
My cheap rack

This is my cheap rack two alluminum peices about a foot and a half long. If you can find the right size to slip into the pipes you saw under the seat they will slip in. You can see I still have the tool box incorperated with the rack.
The metal strips are strong tighs and I bent them to go around the alluminum tubing and screwed them to the tubing. Bought some platic caps to go over the ends of the tubing. You can see that I had to beat on the alluminum tubing so the tool box would go back on. The tool box holds the rack on, or you could drill holes in the black pipes under the seat and put a screw in to hold the tubing in the black pipes.

Attachments

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
I noticed that my stock rack was waggling when I was at the Hocking Hills Poker Run. With Ruger and Denny's help, I discovered that one of the support bars hidden under the saddle (behind the trunk) had snapped. Considering the fact that a replacement is so hard to find, I will have someone weld it for me. I like putting a lockable trunk on it!

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
yeah my rack has been in a few threads ( lol ). It works great and will hold more than you would ever want to load onto it. Put it this way, if I can put all of my weight on it and it won't flex you would never have a problem ( I weigh 255lbs btw ). You would have a better chance of shearing the bolts off before my rack moves. I am actually anticipating a new thread to pop up about the last one I just shipped out.
Sounds more like a frame extension than a luggage rack accessory. lol :smiley_th

~~C8>

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
maybe but frame extensions don't look this sexy...

·
Registered
5 Posts
weh44att, that's ingenuity. I wud not mind such a rack for my bike if it will always be hidden by something that will sit on top of it, like a luggage or a top case. I will try that for my bike soon. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That looks pretty sharp. With a little tool roll somewhere on the bike and a nice filler panel, this would be a good option to the OEM rack

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi M Angell, I am interested in buying a rack that works with the toolbox installed. If you have perfected one, plz let me know, or send me a photo of the gnarly one so I may decide. Plz respond to my email at [email protected] Thanks,Larry

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
This link to Sloppys thread and pictures shows how Ma Kaw's Fire and Steel rack is mounted. :smiley_th
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showpost.php?p=167084&postcount=46

1 - 20 of 35 Posts