Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's a long shot that anyone has a set to sell, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway, looking for a set of MCCTs or ACCTs that have been converted to manual.

There's MCCTs on eBay for $49.99 each shipped, or the TOC Manufacturing ones that are around $115 shipped for both, but if at all possible I'd like to save a bit if anyone has a set they can sell. $100+ is a bit steep for me right now, but the bike is making lots of noise. Already tried the Grambo trick, didn't work much.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I know it's a long shot that anyone has a set to sell, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway, looking for a set of MCCTs or ACCTs that have been converted to manual.

There's MCCTs on eBay for $49.99 each shipped, or the TOC Manufacturing ones that are around $115 shipped for both, but if at all possible I'd like to save a bit if anyone has a set they can sell. $100+ is a bit steep for me right now, but the bike is making lots of noise. Already tried the Grambo trick, didn't work much.
Have you considered building your own ...Hardware store, $10. - $15.00.

Ceal, here is info which I have Copied & Pasted from others...

ACCT to MCCT conversion video
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18235

ACCT to MCCT Conversion Thread created by wib714
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

There are a couple of threads on here on how to convert a ACCT to a MCCT. I know one members said he'd get a video put up here, but I went ahead and did a video of the MCCT I created.

Supplies needed: (for each mcct)
1. 1 each -6mm x 40 bolt
2. 2 each -6mm nuts
3. 1 each -6mm Locking Washer
4. 1 each - #12 x 5/8 bonded washer

Parts not needed:
1. Sleeve
2. Spring
3. Flat Washer

I did this on my bike yesterday to the rear cylinder and front cylinder, and they both quit knocking after the conversion. I took the front one off to do this video. I love that we are able to do this conversion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY4IEHVqtoY

:smiley_th

·
Registered
128 Posts
MCCT conversion

Really, with the video and typed instructions this is something anyone can do. The only thing is remember you are working with aluminum, so do not over tighten the assembly when you put it (them) back on the bike, A little blue Loc-tite is what I used. Areal $$ saver.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Unless the deal is that you don't want to tear apart your current set of ACCTs for whatever reason..

Still, it'll be cheaper to covert the ones your have then it would cost for shipping alone. (Well, OK. I'm guessing there. I've never shipped anything South of the border.) Plus, as long as your careful with the disassembly, it's a snap to put them back together in the original configuration.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I kinda busted the thread on a previous ACCT's plug screw, so I'm a little uneasy about it... Also, I don't know the names in Spanish of some of the items I need.

I think I will try it anyway. Maybe I'll look for some cheap ACCTs on eBay first just so I don't end up with a parked bike again if anything goes wrong.

The materials list and links do help a great deal though, thank you WilliamTech!!

Now to research how the hell those parts are named in Spanish... u_u

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok... just saw the video... so the "bonded washer" acts like a gasket? what material is it made of?

Is there anything special about the locking washer or is it just a regular flat washer?

I'm gonna have to describe them at the hardware store, cause well, everyone's an idiot here. So I gotta know these details so I don't get the wrong stuff.

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
The bonded washer is meter on one side and rubber or dome other type of material on the other.

I did this on my front cylinder and it worked great... the parts for both sides cost me a total of $3....

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ok... just saw the video... so the "bonded washer" acts like a gasket? what material is it made of?

Is there anything special about the locking washer or is it just a regular flat washer?

I'm gonna have to describe them at the hardware store, cause well, everyone's an idiot here. So I gotta know these details so I don't get the wrong stuff.
No a lock washer has an offset split in it or has teeth going around the circle

Just Google image lock washer and you'll see what I'm talking about

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I believe the serrated one is called a "star washer"...

I use a neoprene washer, topped by a nylon washer, then a regular nut followed by a NyLock nut. Havent lost a drop of oil in over 3k miles.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Here's some examples:

Bonded Washer

Lockwasher

Nylock Nut

Star Washer

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the pictures. I'll try describing them and see if I can get them locally.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. I'll try describing them and see if I can get them locally.
Bro,,
Worst case, if you cant find anything you need in Mexico, just tell one of us what you need and we can get it and mail it down to ya.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bro,,
Worst case, if you cant find anything you need in Mexico, just tell one of us what you need and we can get it and mail it down to ya.
Yea, WilliamTech was already kind enough to volunteer. Thanks guys, your help is greatly appreciated!

I'm gonna see if I can find the parts this weekend though so I don't make anyone go on a errand for no reason if the parts are available here. Again, thank you!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yea, WilliamTech was already kind enough to volunteer. Thanks guys, your help is greatly appreciated!

I'm gonna see if I can find the parts this weekend though so I don't make anyone go on a errand for no reason if the parts are available here. Again, thank you!
No worries man, just let us know if you need anything.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I kinda busted the thread on a previous ACCT's plug screw, so I'm a little uneasy about it... Also, I don't know the names in Spanish of some of the items I need.

I think I will try it anyway. Maybe I'll look for some cheap ACCTs on eBay first just so I don't end up with a parked bike again if anything goes wrong.

The materials list and links do help a great deal though, thank you WilliamTech!!

Now to research how the hell those parts are named in Spanish... u_u
You don't need worry about the stripped out threads at the top for the plug screw if you do what I did to create an MCCT from a stripped ACCT that was given to me. I got the idea from Wolfie. :)
JB weld a 6 mm nut up inside the ACCT. That will be a hundred times stronger than the original threads in the aluminum ACCT body.

Here is a link to some pictures of various types of lock washers, ie. split, internal and external toothed washers that have many tiny edges or points that bite into the metal when tightened down.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n:16410901

Hope this helps. I can provide more info and links if you need them.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You don't need worry about the stripped out threads at the top for the plug screw if you do what I did to create an MCCT from a stripped ACCT that was given to me. I got the idea from Wolfie. :)
JB weld a 6 mm nut up inside the ACCT. That will be a hundred times stronger than the original threads in the aluminum ACCT body.

Here is a link to some pictures of various types of lock washers, ie. split, internal and external toothed washers that have many tiny edges or points that bite into the metal when tightened down.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n:16410901

Hope this helps. I can provide more info and links if you need them.
That's a great idea! And I still have stripped ACCT stashed upstairs somewhere lol. It was way too easy to strip those threads, so this idea seems awesome. Don't know much about "JB welding" but hey, I'll give it a shot!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
JB Weld is a two part steel reinforced epoxy glue.
http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-weld/

JB Weld is good stuff.
As I remeber the story, slimvulcanrider had to fix the thermostat housing on a truck in the army and used 7 packages of JB Weld to create a new one overnight for temporary service until they could get a new one shipped in. At the time he told the story the "temporary" JB Weld fix had been in service for something like a year in combat conditions and was still working perfectly, and the new part was still on the shelf. :smiley_th

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow I knew about it but didn't know it was so tough... I actually used it once to plug a leak on a coolant tube for my mom's minivan, but I didn't quite leave a very smooth finish on it lol

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I patched a large hole in my gas tank with it....still no leaks...that was about 4k miles ago....good ju ju...
And I add the nut on the inside whether the threads are stripped or not....the stock purpose of the threads was just to hold the cap screw. When you convert to MCCT, there's now camchain pressure on it....the inside nut soves any future problems (or can be used for a stripped thread fix)...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts