Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My speedo is not working and we have determined that the sending unit thingee down on the front wheel is shot.

Wondering if anyone has an extra lying around they would like to sell. If not, can these be rebuilt?

I want to get this fixed ASAP as NY requires a working speedo for the bike to be legal (and not to mention its kinda handy knowing how fast I'm going) ;)

Thanks all!

·
Registered
83 Posts
DMAG said:
My speedo is not working and we have determined that the sending unit thingee down on the front wheel is shot....
If you've just had a new front tire mounted, your thingee may just be "tweaked" instead of "shot". Some tire machines have a cone on the center bolt to help hold the wheel during the tire removal/installation process. The cone can flare the little "tinnie" piece of metal out that is inside of the wheel hub, and then the prongs won't catch the slots in the speedometer gearbox unit correctly. (The tin piece will spin around outside of the notches.)

With the front wheel off of the bike, look closely at the brass-colored piece of metal inside of the hub. If it looks "flared out", simply bend it back inward with a pair of needle-nosed pliers until it looks cylindrical again. The tin piece sort of "floats" around in the hub, so don't be alarmed if it appears "loose". It's loose to self-center onto the speedometer gearbox. I think it's made "tinnie" so it will fail in case of a speedometer gearbox lockup, to help avoid a front wheel lockup. Just my opinion.

Mount the wheel back on the bike, spin the wheel, and see if your speedometer comes back to life.

CD in Frederick, OK

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ol Poop said:
DMAG said:
My speedo is not working and we have determined that the sending unit thingee down on the front wheel is shot....
If you've just had a new front tire mounted, your thingee may just be "tweaked" instead of "shot". Some tire machines have a cone on the center bolt to help hold the wheel during the tire removal/installation process. The cone can flare the little "tinnie" piece of metal out that is inside of the wheel hub, and then the prongs won't catch the slots in the speedometer gearbox unit correctly. (The tin piece will spin around outside of the notches.)

With the front wheel off of the bike, look closely at the brass-colored piece of metal inside of the hub. If it looks "flared out", simply bend it back inward with a pair of needle-nosed pliers until it looks cylindrical again. The tin piece sort of "floats" around in the hub, so don't be alarmed if it appears "loose". It's loose to self-center onto the speedometer gearbox. I think it's made "tinnie" so it will fail in case of a speedometer gearbox lockup, to help avoid a front wheel lockup. Just my opinion.

Mount the wheel back on the bike, spin the wheel, and see if your speedometer comes back to life.

CD in Frederick, OK

I wih I saw this yesterday...I ordered a new one. Wasn't too bad though, only $53 frm Ronayers.

But, this is great info because I am having new tires installed in a week or two. I may end up with this problem. Thanks for the info!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.