Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where to find any earshave and coaster kits since sherm's is out now? Just looking for fast way of getting every thing all together before getting it piece by piece.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have just become the proud owner of a '91 vn750. Its a USA version (I live in the Netherlands btw.) and I also would like to do the ear-shave. I also would like to get my hands on a complete jetting kit with coasters. The K&N's I can order at a local car parts dealer. So if anybody has an idea please let it know. I guess there are much more people looking for this. For the VN800 parts are widely available :(:(

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I have just become the proud owner of a '91 vn750. Its a USA version (I live in the Netherlands btw.) and I also would like to do the ear-shave. I also would like to get my hands on a complete jetting kit with coasters. The K&N's I can order at a local car parts dealer. So if anybody has an idea please let it know. I guess there are much more people looking for this. For the VN800 parts are widely available :(:(
Welcome to the Forum. A lot of great info available here. The Verses have it all.

Here is a Copy & Paste of Re-jet info.
Hope it helps....

:smiley_th

Originally Posted by knicol
I'm also going to do the ear shave, and wanted to know if there is a full kit I can purchase? I read in the VERSES forum about a kit, but I also read that company went out of business. If there is NOT a kit out there, does anyone have all the parts PN's and a link to a thread with a description on what to do?
No kits!
Parts:
1 Mikuni Needle Shims Item# Price: 009-396 $6.95
2 Keihin 99101-393 Main Jet Size: 142 $13.90
2 n424-22 Pilot/Slow Jet sizes: 42 $13.90
I purchased these from: http://www.pjmotorsports.com/keihin-jets.html
2 Emgo Crank Case Filter $14.95 each
I purchased these from: http://www.phatperformanceparts.com
/...ode=14%2D20900

You don't NEED these but they look good.
2 Coasters $31 pair (1500 cc) I purchased these from: http://www.shermscycleproducts.com/coasterpage.html
Purchase link -- no longer available
…remove the reed valves and install coasters. Remove vacuum valve. Remove vacuum line from right carb. Plug right carb vacuum port. (Later / Calif. Models) there are two tubes at the base of the gas tank: remove the one on the right side and plug the port at the tank. Remove the canister and related crap from under battery tray. Vent left side of gas tank to free air via rubber tube and let it hang unobstructed behind trans and make sure the end can't get blocked.... that's about it..........

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply.

Above you say a 142/42 jetting configuration is used but I noticed many use a 140/40. I'm at sea level, what would you advise??

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply.

Above you say a 142/42 jetting configuration is used but I noticed many use a 140/40. I'm at sea level what do you advise??
Stock muffler's ?

I have not performed this mod.........yet !
Other forum readers will need to answer this question.
sorry

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
I spotted these filters on Ebay, they aren't K&N, probably just Chinese knockoffs. The flange size is correct, but I'm not sure yet if the 8" overall length will work.

The ad says "4 x 38mm 39mm 40mm AIR FILTER..." and "Quantity: 4 pcs", but I still sent a message to find out if that's four pieces to make up one filter or four filters. If it's four filters, that's a really good price if they actually function as air filters. Haven't gotten a response yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261146312437?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

edit: As posted by Wolfie in post #14, the carb is 34mm but the intake flange is larger than that, about 54mm.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Ok, heard back from China on the filters.

Dear Sir,

Happy new year there!

This would be sent 4 filters together,and you will get 4pcs same filter!

Any more questions please let me know timely!Thanks

Regards
Violet
Smokin' deal if they fit lengthwise and are any good as air filters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think I'd better stick to the K&N filters. Those will fit anyhow. But I still wonder about the jetting size. Should I go for 142/42 or 140/40. I have even read some use a 142 in the rear carb and a 140 in front??

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Just a note on using the pod filters. Depending on frequency of riding and riding conditions, you may need to change them more often since they are exposed. I bought the cheap ones at $6.99 each, and change after about 8 months, but I have a lotta dirt/manure roads around here too...
UniFilter has some available that have a washable thin foam outer shell. I may try them next. Theyre about $12 ea.
Fitting them is not a problem on the right (brake) side...the left however will point towatds the bottom rear of the fuel tank and will actually be halfway under it, so you need to watch the length there. Or you can put a slight bend (22 deg maybe) just before the filter to angle it down some. A piece of radiator hose works well. Then you can use the longer ones.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Those Chinese filters probably won't fit right anyway, but the carb size is 34mm. I had read somewhere previously that it was 38mm, which is incorrect. The carb is a Keihin CVK34.

edit: As posted by Wolfie in post #14, the carb is 34mm but the intake flange is larger than that, about 54mm.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
If you want to cut your own coaster plates.....use the reed valve cover as a template and cut your own like I did.

Aluminum stock available at Home Depot or your local hardware store 2" wide. 1/4" thick.
cut and file to fit...drill holes and you got your own plates for a LOT cheaper than ordering them......plus the satisfaction that you did it yourself.

Remove the reed valve cover (with the pipe end on it) and replace with your plate. keep the valve in there so the bolts don't bottom out. use a high temp gasket silicone to seal it up nice.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
but the carb size is 34mm. I had read somewhere previously that it was 38mm, which is incorrect. The carb is a Keihin CVK34
Yes, the carb is a 34mm...Harleys use the 38 and 40 CVKs (some parts are the same though)....but that number doesnt designate the intake opening, thats the carb bore....the intake opening is closer to 54mm....measure it....even in inches, then convert...

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20917

BTW, the Keihin CVK 34 is also used on ArcticCat snowmobiles....helps when needing parts sometimes....

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up for me, Wolfie. I'll put a note in my earlier posts.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,193 Posts
Just a note on using the pod filters. Depending on frequency of riding and riding conditions, you may need to change them more often since they are exposed. I bought the cheap ones at $6.99 each, and change after about 8 months, but I have a lotta dirt/manure roads around here too...
UniFilter has some available that have a washable thin foam outer shell. I may try them next. Theyre about $12 ea.
Fitting them is not a problem on the right (brake) side...the left however will point towatds the bottom rear of the fuel tank and will actually be halfway under it, so you need to watch the length there. Or you can put a slight bend (22 deg maybe) just before the filter to angle it down some. A piece of radiator hose works well. Then you can use the longer ones.
i raised the back of the tank with a spacer to clear air filter.don't know if that will work on stock seat,my seat is from a sporty.and i used 142's on mine about 1000 ft above sea level and degoated with screaming eagle mufflers.might copy The Deuce on my new vn750 and try 150's

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry to take so long to respond to yalls past but thanks for all the info. Just been so busy with work and the bike..

Thanks again.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,193 Posts
Sorry to take so long to respond to yalls past but thanks for all the info. Just been so busy with work and the bike..

Thanks again.
we all know that feeling,brother

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,193 Posts
k&n rc 2340 filters work.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,193 Posts
If you want to cut your own coaster plates.....use the reed valve cover as a template and cut your own like I did.

Aluminum stock available at Home Depot or your local hardware store 2" wide. 1/4" thick.
cut and file to fit...drill holes and you got your own plates for a LOT cheaper than ordering them......plus the satisfaction that you did it yourself.

Remove the reed valve cover (with the pipe end on it) and replace with your plate. keep the valve in there so the bolts don't bottom out. use a high temp gasket silicone to seal it up nice.
and by making them outta aluminum you can polish them and make them all purdy and stuff.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts