Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in Aug. of last year I had my first and hopefully last wreck when I under-corrected on a turn and went off the road at about 50MPH, I ended up with a fractured Ulna and shattered all the bones in the back of my wrist, the bike has a nice big dent in the tank and to be honest i have no idea how that happened since its on the side that DIDN'T hit the ground and my elbow or knee never had any pain from impacting anything, speedo, tach, cluster are busted and handle bars bent a bit.

My main concern is the transmission, soon as I partly got over the shock of what happened I called my dad and had him come out since I was only a few miles from the house and had him ride the bike home for me. He was able to easily without an issue shift down into first gear and start the bike up, but after he took off it wont go past neutral. There's no grinding or any other noise when trying to shift, it just goes from first to neutral and stops, he thinks its because the shift lever is slightly bent from the wreck(that's the side it went down on.) Now I'm inclined to think the same thing based on the fact it was able to shift down through all the gears, if it was able to shift one way, why not the other right? Its been sitting since the wreck and I'm to the point now where I want to get it fixed up and get back on the road but before I dump a bunch of money into it(considering i just totaled my car by having a TREE fall on me driving home from work in a storm :doh: and now need a new car) kind of wanting a second opinion on this. What do you guys think? Like I said, there is no grinding or any other noise when trying to shift up, it just goes from first to neutral and wont go up any more, it seems like there is a normal amount of play in the lever when trying to shift... opinions?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Try moving the shifter a spline or two

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
The internal shift rod is pretty delicate. If bent, once shifted down, it may not be long enough to shift up?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Sounds like the positive neutral finder linkage is jammed. That would explain why it won't go past neutral.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
A bent shift lever won't cause problems unless it is hitting part of the engine or frame. If so, Doc's suggestion to adjust it a spline is solid.

It is possible that either the internal shift linkage has been bent as Spockster suggested. If you remove the engine from the frame, you can pull off the cover over the shifter pawl on the left side of the bike to see if the travel of the shift linkage is sufficient. If the shifter linkage is bent, you'll need to split the engine case to replace it.

This bike does have a 'positive neutral finder' that prevents the transmission from going into second gear unless the bike is in motion. It's possible this has gotten messed up and is preventing upshifting past neutral even when moving? I wouldn't know how to test or fix that. Anyone else?

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
I wrote about the PNF and then deleted it. As I understand it, the PNF works with check balls that move into place once a certain speed is reached. I suppose one or more balls being stuck could cause it, but it seems like a longshot.

If the foot lever is damaged at all, I'd bet on the internal linkage being damaged too. But it can be bent without damage to the foot lever too.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
So, if you've got something like a dentist's mirror, you can drain the oil, then pull off the cover (clutch cover?) on the right side of the bike and peer into some very small holes in the main case to see if the shift linkage is bent ...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'll try moving the shifter up a spline or two, it does come in contact with the frame when shifting up, hopefully that's all it is, but I'm betting it's the linkage, if it is how massive of a project would it be? Would I have to take the whole engine apart or just split the case and unbolt a few few things, put the new linkage in and good to go?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also is there anything that i can do that will say that its the linkage other than it not shifting past neutral? The play in and out on the shifter is the same as its always been as well as the play up and down are the same as its been before the wreck aswell....

·
Registered
90 Posts
The shift knob, w/ the spleens on it, that comes out of the bike case. See if you can move it now, out or into the case.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
If the linkage were BROKEN, you could tell because the shift lever would be floppy. With a bent shifter, it's harder to tell since the symptom could be caused by a couple different things (bent or worn shifter pawl, neutral finder, etc).

Once you split the case the linkage is readily available. Splitting the case, however, is a pretty major undertaking, requiring removal of the engine from the frame and the cylinders from the engine. If that's "all in a day's work" for you, then it's an easy job.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The shift knob, w/ the spleens on it, that comes out of the bike case. See if you can move it now, out or into the case.
yea it has the same amount of play going in/out and up/down as it did before the wreck. the only difference now is when all the way in(or what seems is all the way in) it rubs against the front bolt of my platform/peg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the linkage were BROKEN, you could tell because the shift lever would be floppy. With a bent shifter, it's harder to tell since the symptom could be caused by a couple different things (bent or worn shifter pawl, neutral finder, etc).

Once you split the case the linkage is readily available. Splitting the case, however, is a pretty major undertaking, requiring removal of the engine from the frame and the cylinders from the engine. If that's "all in a day's work" for you, then it's an easy job.
the most extensive work i've done on the bike is the ear shave and a new exhaust and replacing the impeller mechanical seal, haven't had the pleasure of pulling the engine yet and i've never had any small engine experience... should be a fun job.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
I'll try moving the shifter up a spline or two, it does come in contact with the frame when shifting up, hopefully that's all it is, but I'm betting it's the linkage, if it is how massive of a project would it be? Would I have to take the whole engine apart or just split the case and unbolt a few few things, put the new linkage in and good to go?
If it hits going up, move it one spline in the other direction

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
yea it has the same amount of play going in/out and up/down as it did before the wreck. the only difference now is when all the way in(or what seems is all the way in) it rubs against the front bolt of my platform/peg
Might have to buy a new shifter or bend yours, in a vice,not on the bike

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Maybe use some heat

1 - 17 of 17 Posts