Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup,

I took a pretty good tumble today. Those of you from the MD-DC area will know that they've been resurfacing I-270 for the past couple weeks. One lane will be ground down into deep grooves and the next lane is resurfaced, with a 2 inch transition between surfaces. This makes it damn near impossible to change lanes. Usually, though, the ground up portion ends abruptly in a lane so you hit the bump straight on. But, today I was in one of those cross over lanes from the local section to the through section and the cross over lane was ground up and the through section was resurfaced. So, I had to try to hit that section at an angle. Well...I tried. I lost all control and took a pretty nasty spill going 55-60 mph.

Fortunately, I was able to roll onto my back during the slide, so the padding in my jacket took most of the abuse, and fortunately, I was able to roll onto the shoulder without anyone running into me. All things considered, I came out pretty well. I was wearing a Joe Rocket Super Ego jacket, with some of the leather zipped off (exposing mesh underneath). The jacket tore at the seam of the mesh and the leather, and I ended up with a small section of road rash on my left arm. I was also wearing kevlar lined Draggin Jeans. They tore just above the knee where the seam for the kevlar section is, so I got just a small scrape on my left knee. I've got a pretty deep bruise on my right calf and my right shoulder is pretty sore and stiff (though I'm sure that would have been much worse without the padding in my jacket).

So, all in all I'm doing pretty well. Thank God for good equipment.

The bike didn't fare so well. Pretty much everything on the left side has been stripped off. The windshield came off, the headlight and speedometer were broken, the fenders were mangled, the gas tank dented and scraped and the fork is pretty jungled. From what I could tell, though, there was no major structural damage and the engine and drive shaft looked OK. So, I'm not sure if they're going to total it, given that it's a 2006. It would probably be better if they did.

Anyway, I guess I won't be finishing those floorboards any time soon!

Be safe out there.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
WOW, Bill :doh:
Glad you're mostly uninjured!! Another testiment for wearing safety gear!! Those road elevation changes can certainly be tough to negotiate safely. Especially at that speed.
Sorry to hear of the condition of the bike.

Be prepared for alot more soreness and stiff joints tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Hey, Bill - I work in Rockville and know that 270's yucky when it's not being resurfaced. I'm amazed at how well you fared, given that it was...well, 270! And 270 being resurfaced! Probably good that it happened this week, too, when traffic in the DC area is a little lighter than usual.

Glad you're mostly ok, though, and ditto what Hyper said about patin tomorrow. If I were you, I'd think about getting some ibuprofen in me about, oh, a couple of hours ago...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry to hear about your tumble. I was stationed in DC back in 1983-1985 and I know the roads are never good. Glad you lived thru that with only bumps and burns I hope. Did you get checked at the hosp? If not you should because later you may suffer more from this when you're older. Sorry about the bike but it can be replaced - just can't replace you. Here in Hawaii you see too many folks riding around in tank top, shorts and shower shoes and of course no helmet. I get some weird looks sometimes because I'm dressed out in leather and helmet. It's hot but I'm alot safer than they are when the unexpected happens...

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts
'm glad you're...well, mostly ok. could have been a lot worse! good thing you were wearing your gear! you can buy the best gear in the world, but, if you're not wearing it, it's still no good! i try to wear as much as i can all the time. i always wear a helmet and yes, i get those looks too! better safe than sorry.
as for the bike, well that's why we have insurance.

·
239 Posts
Really sorry to hear about your accident, Makes me think about getting some good gear sooner then later, Hope you feel better soon.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Good testament to safty gear. Glad you are doing good.
The bike can be fixed or replaced, don't wory about that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank the Good Lord above that your ok. Sorry about your bike and the abuse you took, I wish you well on a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm glad you're OK man.
Like CC said, your bike can be replaced but not your life.
I wish you a fast recovery man....

·
Registered
415 Posts
Bill first and formost I'm glad you're okay. (Mostly). Sorry to hear about the bike. Let me guess was it exit 6? I've been back and forth to Rockville on research Blvd for a couple weeks now and have had to contend with that damnable bump. Scares the he77 outa me. I get far left and make as sharp a right as I can to get over that bump. I've made the trip 3 or 4 times and it jars me every time.

Lemme know if there is anything I might be able to do! I'm down in Southern Calvert Co. Come on down one weekend for some R&R at our lake beach.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok especially dumping it @ that speed. Health first--bike second. Hopefully your insurance company will take care of your bike without any hassle. Get well soon.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Sounds like you know how to roll very well. Good to see that there were no major injuries.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bike...Happier to hear you were mostly OK.

At that speed in that traffic, I bet you threw out a great big "Thank you God", huh?

Thanks for the report- it has inspired me to move forward with appropriate safety gear. I guess for all the times we sweat wearing the appropriate riding garb and don't need it, the one time we have it on and its needed, its all worth it.

Take it easy the next few days!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. As predicted, I'm quite a bit more sore today, but still very thankful that it turned out as well as it did. I've been trying to reconstruct in my head exactly how I went down. When I tried to get up on the higher surface the bike started shaking pretty violently. I'm pretty sure I ended up taking a high-side fall to the right, which explains the pain in my right shoulder and right calf, where I think the bike fell on it. Then I think the bike flipped over me and I tumbled a couple times before being able to get onto my back.

I really can not say enough about my equipment. The leather on my jacket is pretty scuffed up, but never failed. Only that one small section of mesh tore on my left arm. If I'd been wearing all the leather on the jacket, I'd have had no road rash at all. Considering the way I think I fell and the pain in my right shoulder, I'm pretty sure that without the soft armor in my jacket, I would have shattered several bones in my shoulder on impact. Aside from a very small tear in the Draggin Jeans, they held up extremely well. They are scuffed quite a bit, but did not fail. Oddly enough, there's not even a scratch on my helmet. I'm at a loss to explain that. I had black construction-style boots on. They got a little scuffed on one of the ankles, but otherwise look great.

Bottom line is, my equipment seriously saved me. If I'd been wearing shorts and a t-shirt like I see a lot of guys do, I'd have no skin left on my body right now and would probably have a few broken bones, too. I know it's hot and it's expensive, but it's well worth it if you ever go down.

RE insurance: I've got progressive and so far they have been very responsive. I should be getting an estimate either today or tomorrow, so I'll let you know what they have to say. One note, I don't even remember doing this, but I got the medical insurance with the insurance for the bike, and it's a good thing. Apparently my regular health insurance would not have covered my medical bills for going to the hospital. Something for you all to think about with your policies.

Foxhound: the crash site was a little north of the bump you're talking about. I know that one too, and have tried to avoid it. I was coming off of 370 (exit 9) onto 270 and then going from the local lanes to the through lanes. That cross over section was the part that was ground and the right most lane of the through lanes was already resurfaced. I tried exactly what you described, getting as far over in the lane as possible and then taking the bump at as steep an angle as I could. Didn't work out so well for me. In retrospect what I should have done was to keep going in the cross over lane until I was on the shoulder and then gotten into the next lane, because the ground surface ended at a 90 degree angle where the shoulder began. But, at highway speed it all happened too fast and I didn't think of it.

Looking back now, a lot of really bad things could have happened. I could have veered into other lanes of traffic and been hit by a car. I could have veered the other way and slammed into a jersey wall. The doctor at the hospital was pretty amazed that I wasn't more seriously injured and I can see why. Things could have gone much differently.

Anyway, thanks again for all your good thoughts. To those of you who are still considering the investment into good equipment, please do it. As several here have said, you can replace the bike, but you can't replace your body. A big part of the reason I was not injured more seriously was luck in not getting hit by a car, but the equipment I was wearing was not luck at all and it did make an enormous difference.

Be safe.

Oh, and Foxhound, thanks for the invite. I took the kids down to Calvert Cliffs a few weeks ago to look for sharks teeth and they loved it. They're begging to go back. If we do, I'll give you a shout.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow! Glad you came out of that reasonably injury free. I've driven that area before and would really have to doubly consider riding down that way with all the traffic. I think it's more amazing that you didn't get hit by a car!

Yes, another testament for riding with gear. Yesterday it was real hot here, and I went for a ride up to a friends house, but I wore everything- mesh pants, mesh jacket, full face helmet, and gloves. I'm too ugly to get any uglier!

Hopefully the insurance co will do the right thing for your bike, and I hope you heal up fast.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Bill first and formost I'm glad you're okay. (Mostly). Sorry to hear about the bike. Let me guess was it exit 6? I've been back and forth to Rockville on research Blvd for a couple weeks now and have had to contend with that damnable bump. Scares the he77 outa me. I get far left and make as sharp a right as I can to get over that bump. I've made the trip 3 or 4 times and it jars me every time.

Lemme know if there is anything I might be able to do! I'm down in Southern Calvert Co. Come on down one weekend for some R&R at our lake beach.
Hey, Foxhound, if you're on Research, swing by my office so I have an excuse to get away from my PC!

Bill, I'm still amazed at how reasonably well you fared. That section of the road is for s--t, and the drivers in Montgomery County haven't a clue about anybody riding two wheels. Maybe you should go buy a Powerball ticket for tonight, 'cause you're definitely "in" with Lady Luck right now.

More ibuprofen.... :D

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
ditto

I want to echo the comments already posted. You are profoundly blessed to be (mostly) well, and the bike can be replaced. Thanks for the testimony about the wisdom of wearing protective gear always. And I hope Progressive Insurance stands by you ~ be sure to tell us "the rest of the story."

Side note: Maybe I'll see some of you DC riders in late October when I'm in town for the Marine Corps Marathon!

·
Registered
125 Posts
All that matters is that your ok.....forget about the bike....

Good luck with recovery!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bill,

Very good to hear you're alive and mostly unscathed - but working off of a very similar personal experience, I urge you to hit the ER and get the shoulder checked out.

I had a very similar crash last year. Shoulder hurt, but hot tub and some Icy Hot helped. Then, after almost a week, I woke up in agony - I ended up driving to ER that same night. Wrecked rotator cuff, plus some damage to cartilage that started crumbling - it took me almost a year of therapy to get back to full shoulder functionality, something that would've been far easier to achieve if I went immediately.

Go see a doc. They still don't make cybernetic shoulders.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts