Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I was in a wreck a couple nights ago, this lady pulled out in front of me and I had no where to go so I had to slam on brakes and then ditch the bike before I hit her SUV. She had said she did not see me. I'm OK just a bit of road rash, I managed to ball up pretty good. Anyway the bike looks like it was pretty lucky, the saddle bags and the cover to the intake on the left side along with the clutch took most of the damage. My question is generally how much does it cost to realign the front wheel? Also It does not look like the forks are bent but if they are what would be the labor cost be to fix or replace them? I'm new to the area and don't want to get ripped off at the garage I took the bike to.

Thanks,

- Hutch:motorcycl

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Glad you are OK. Thinking back, would it have been better if you'd ridden the brakes all the way to impact, vs. dumping the bike?

Don't know if the wheel can be fixed, might be better to get a new one. I'd have the forks checked at a shop rather than eyeballing it, make sure there's no hidden damage.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay, that's the important part.

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
Ok so I was in a wreck a couple nights ago, this lady pulled out in front of me and I had no where to go so I had to slam on brakes and then ditch the bike before I hit her SUV. She had said she did not see me. I'm OK just a bit of road rash, I managed to ball up pretty good. Anyway the bike looks like it was pretty lucky, the saddle bags and the cover to the intake on the left side along with the clutch took most of the damage. My question is generally how much does it cost to realign the front wheel? Also It does not look like the forks are bent but if they are what would be the labor cost be to fix or replace them? I'm new to the area and don't want to get ripped off at the garage I took the bike to.

Thanks,

glad u are alright ... to alllign the front end there are four bolts on the tubes losssin slightly and straighten back like an old bmx bike... ride and if its still a little off adjust accordingly ... whre u from hutch?

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
My question is generally how much does it cost to realign the front wheel?
Glad you're OK. If the rim is bent, I don't beleive it can be safely realigned. It's cast aluminum and you would need to replace it. Usually some on ebay.

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Typical mantra... "I didn't see you"
To me translates to "I WASN'T PAYING ATTENTION".
I'd have had to give her door a good kick.
Screw her, and I'm glad you're okay.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Great news it was not as bad as I thought, the shop was able to align the wheel no problem and the forks are fine they checked them out...no damage! In reply to EQPlayer I would probably be in the hospital right now if I had tried that and the forks defiantly would have been bent. By doing what I did I some what took control of my self, I would rather hit the ground and try and roll rather than hit into a SUV. As far as the bike is concerned it was just lucky that it was not worse.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys do you know if when you order the front fender from CheapCycleParts.com if it comes painted, I would think it would not be but I am not sure why there are different colors listed with the part number (CC, RED). Like the following:

35001-1110-HR FENDER-ASSY-FR CC,RED $88.32 $88.32

Does anyone know if it does come painted?

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Glad you're OK, Hutch! I just had 10 stitches removed from my elbow today after my crash several weeks ago (which I've replayed in my head ad nauseam and have described in a separate thread ~ http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13057~ you might want to skim it and absorb see some of the wise counsel given to me). I'm still a bit shaken up, but will get back on the road when I'm ready. Hope you will too, and may both of us learn from for the bad experience.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Hey guys do you know if when you order the front fender from CheapCycleParts.com if it comes painted, I would think it would not be but I am not sure why there are different colors listed with the part number (CC, RED). Like the following:

I don't. But you could email them or call and find out.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Great news it was not as bad as I thought, the shop was able to align the wheel no problem...
Hey there, Hutch. What exactly did the shop do to "align" the front wheel? These wheels can't be trued if they're out of true, since they're cast aluminum. You would need to buy a new rim. Hope they didn't charge you for truing them.

Also, glad you're ok. Coulda been a lot worse, especially if you hit the SUV. What gear were you wearing at the time?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

I don't. But you could email them or call and find out.
X2 to fc, contacting the supplier is probably the quickest way to find out.

But I recall from looking at the downloadable Kawi manual at http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/Files for Download/VN750 Manual and Parts.pdf , that they have different model years of the fuel tanks, ( and I assume the other tins as well,) with the various colors of those years identified with unique part numbers. You might get lucky and be able to order a fender with factory oem paint matched.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

Thanks,

Glad you are OK. Thinking back, would it have been better if you'd ridden the brakes all the way to impact, vs. dumping the bike?
Don't know if the wheel can be fixed, might be better to get a new one. I'd have the forks checked at a shop rather than eyeballing it, make sure there's no hidden damage.
Great news it was not as bad as I thought, the shop was able to align the wheel no problem and the forks are fine they checked them out...no damage! In reply to EQPlayer I would probably be in the hospital right now if I had tried that and the forks defiantly would have been bent. By doing what I did I some what took control of my self, I would rather hit the ground and try and roll rather than hit into a SUV. As far as the bike is concerned it was just lucky that it was not worse.
Hey Hutch, I`m glad to hear you came through this crash with no more damage to you and the bike, than you did.

In reading through this thread my attention was drawn to the lines I have put in bold type face. My thoughts returned to David Hough`s book, "Proficient Motorcycling", and his observation, that almost always you can slow a bike (and rider) more by keeping rubber on the road, with brakes applied to maximum traction available, than by laying the bike down.

You haven`t given much detail of what happened, and I wasn`t present at your crash, so will not presume to second guess your actions. I will however suggest that you try to get hold of Hough`s book, and read it through, and especially notice what he has to say about situations, like the one you found yourself in. Perhaps there were warning signs several seconds before the crash, that, had you recognized them, may have allowed you to avoid the crash.

I have had 16 months to think about my crash, while my broken leg is healing. A single vehicle, my bike, was the only one involved. By much reading in various books and online forums, and pondering my newbie mistakes, I have come to a much better and fuller understanding of my mistakes, and hopefully how to avoid repeating them in the future.

Keep on enjoying the ride, but keep your head on a swivel, and watch that 12 second bubble out in front of you and the bike. At 40 mph that is almost 700 feet. At 30 mph it drops to 528 feet of roadway for you to monitor and act upon what you see. If traffic, lights, signs and "road traps" get too dicey at whatever speed you are travelling, slow down 10 mph or more until you are able to process what your senses are telling you, and take appropriate evasive action, before it becomes an emergency. :rockon:

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Ok, I know I talk about flying too much but there's SO many similiarities between it and riding a bike. One is particularly applicable here. My first instructor, a guy with over 16,000 hours in the sky, would say time and time again: "Stay ahead of the ship." I'm not joking at all, if I had a quarter for everytime I heard that I'd have my own heli.

This was about 7 years ago but there's no WAY it'll ever get out of my head. It wasn't until a few months ago, after 7 years of flying, I actually figured out what he means. He means use your 'operator workload', however big or small (depending on riding experience), to your advantage. Actually operating the machine, any machine, should be automatic if you're on the road and if its not, back to the practice area with ya.

While evaluating your workload, take it a bit back so you have room to always keep extra wits about you. Don't see the cager doing something stupid as it happens. Leave yourself some room by using 'operator workload management' (which is entirely up to the rider) to see it before it happens. If you feel your workload is at its max, back it down a little so you can keep yourself out in front of the machine. If your confidence in riding that day is 90%, chair ride until its 100. 100% means you're relaxed but alert. Just take everything one step at a time.

Reflecting on the ride can be helpful too. It will indicate the places you may have been a little more cavalier than you'd like. "Next time I'll file in behind the semi instead of gunning it to beat him to the exit."

We've ALL seen cagers who are not only not in front of there machines but not even in them. These are the people on their cell phones putting everyone in danger so they can sort out there weekend plans. Grrrr. "Staying ahead of the machine" is basically the opposite of this. Its just a level of alertness beyond looking around and operating the machine. Its active awareness.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Glad you're OK and the bike was fixable.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The " stay ahead of the ship" mantra is an excellent awareness builder, LP. I like your explanation of how to make it work for you. Conceptually it says about the same thing as Hough`s 12 second bubble to watch actively, and respond to appropriately.

Reflecting on the ride just completed, or "debriefing" yourself, or constrictively criticizing your tactics and decisions, are different ways of saying the same thing, but all lead to a better prepared and more skilled rider.

Thanks for sharing this. I will add " Stay ahead of the machine", and "Active Awareness", to my riding mantra or positive affirmations, along with such goodies as "Focus on the eccape, not the obstacle", or "Look where you want to go".

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts

All factory tins come painted. :beerchug:

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
The " stay ahead of the ship" mantra is an excellent awareness builder, LP. I like your explanation of how to make it work for you. Conceptually it says about the same thing as Hough`s 12 second bubble to watch actively, and respond to appropriately.

Reflecting on the ride just completed, or "debriefing" yourself, or constrictively criticizing your tactics and decisions, are different ways of saying the same thing, but all lead to a better prepared and more skilled rider.

Thanks for sharing this. I will add " Stay ahead of the machine", and "Active Awareness", to my riding mantra or positive affirmations, along with such goodies as "Focus on the eccape, not the obstacle", or "Look where you want to go".
These are great too, thanks Hoss. :motorcycl :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts