Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on a ride with a local group yesterday for about 140 miles. It was a dice roll run. It was fun until we went through a heavy rain and I had no windshield and no face shield and we were traveling about 60 miles per hour. Finally we come through the storm and stopped at our 3rd stop.

When I went to get off the bike and leaned the bike over to put on kickstand my wife told me that gas was pouring off the bottom of the bike. So I looked to see if the bike was leaking gas from the petcock or the overflows from the carbs. And they were not.

Then as I smelled the liquid under the bike I realized it was water. I went to talk to one of the mechanics that rode with us and we went back out to look at the bike. When he smelled the liquid it didn't smell like antifreeze and since he was cool about the situation he could think straight and was able to ask the right questions like was the bike over heating.

No it never over heated, then we realized the water under the bike didn't have antifreeze in it. After thinking this over we finally discovered what happened.

Since I didn't have a windshield to deflect the rain it hit my body and ran down to the engine and settled on top of the transmission case between the two cylinders. When I leaned over it dumped all the water off. My wife seeing it but not knowing what to look for only thought the worse. So it wasn't really any concern.

There was a second vn750 on the ride which no water collected on his bike because he has a windshield. On the way back we really were able to open up this bike and blew out the cobwebs. I was taking curves at 70mph with no problems.

Man these bikes are wonderful. I need louder pipes as I can't hear my bike riding with the Harley's.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
Dice runs are fun.I like poker runs too

·
Registered
151 Posts
Seems like you got a great deal for $35 and a few hundred for repairs. I'll get these saddlebags to you soon. And glad too see that mug running so good.

As for the curves...she'll do just fine in em. I have just about scraped my peg screws on some of the back roads here.

Sold her today and honestly. I think I'm gonna miss her. Super reliable...even though I only had it three months. But she was always on time. And rode like a champ. Maybe this 1500 will be just as good.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
Seems like you got a great deal for $35 and a few hundred for repairs. I'll get these saddlebags to you soon. And glad too see that mug running so good.

As for the curves...she'll do just fine in em. I have just about scraped my peg screws on some of the back roads here.

Sold her today and honestly. I think I'm gonna miss her. Super reliable...even though I only had it three months. But she was always on time. And rode like a champ. Maybe this 1500 will be just as good.
Different but you'll like it fine

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
I'll never get anything under 1200. The power is just so nice to have and my sporty is so fast. Like 9secs on the quarter mile.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,733 Posts
I went on a ride with a local group yesterday for about 140 miles. It was a dice roll run. It was fun until we went through a heavy rain and I had no windshield and no face shield and we were traveling about 60 miles per hour. Finally we come through the storm and stopped at our 3rd stop.

When I went to get off the bike and leaned the bike over to put on kickstand my wife told me that gas was pouring off the bottom of the bike. So I looked to see if the bike was leaking gas from the petcock or the overflows from the carbs. And they were not.

Then as I smelled the liquid under the bike I realized it was water. I went to talk to one of the mechanics that rode with us and we went back out to look at the bike. When he smelled the liquid it didn't smell like antifreeze and since he was cool about the situation he could think straight and was able to ask the right questions like was the bike over heating.

No it never over heated, then we realized the water under the bike didn't have antifreeze in it. After thinking this over we finally discovered what happened.

Since I didn't have a windshield to deflect the rain it hit my body and ran down to the engine and settled on top of the transmission case between the two cylinders. When I leaned over it dumped all the water off. My wife seeing it but not knowing what to look for only thought the worse. So it wasn't really any concern.

There was a second vn750 on the ride which no water collected on his bike because he has a windshield. On the way back we really were able to open up this bike and blew out the cobwebs. I was taking curves at 70mph with no problems.

Man these bikes are wonderful. I need louder pipes as I can't hear my bike riding with the Harley's.
back on track.......this is a great post, thanks for sharing. :rockon: the best rides are always an adventure. :motorcycl:pepper:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
still have to pull the plugs to see if she is burning better. Hopefully I will get better results. Still can't figure out why she won't crank if I ride for about 20 minutes and then shut it off and then try to crank it back. If I let it sit about 20 minutes it will crank up but if I try to crank it within 5 or 10 minutes it won't crank and I never have to choke it.

Any clues?

·
Registered
609 Posts
still have to pull the plugs to see if she is burning better. Hopefully I will get better results. Still can't figure out why she won't crank if I ride for about 20 minutes and then shut it off and then try to crank it back. If I let it sit about 20 minutes it will crank up but if I try to crank it within 5 or 10 minutes it won't crank and I never have to choke it.

Any clues?
Have you done the pick up coil mod? Made a noticeable hot start difference in my VN. Easy to do too.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah that is one of the first things I did. Not convinced my orange spark issue isn;'t the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts