Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone has any experience with something like this for a cruiser. Since the 750 is under the weight rating.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I have one, and it's gotten me out of a pinch once, and I also took the bike with me on an extended haul to a mountain vacation. If I had the cash, I'd buy a trailer instead.

My hitch is pretty high, so it's a real pain to get the bike up and down off of the trailer. Definitely a two-person job to do safely, one-and-a-half person job for 'that was sketchy', and 'wtf was I thinking" as a one person job. I would only use one with a solid-floor ramp, not the ladder style. The built-in front chock on mine doesn't really work as intended, as you can't push the bike over the rocker from the ground, so you have to unbolt it, push the bike into place, and hold it in place while re-bolting the chock.

There's quite a bit of wobble between any hitch and anything you attach to it, so you have to be sure to use a hitch stabilizer, which is just a little collar with a bunch of bolts you can tighten the joint with. The trailer probably comes with one.

Strap the FK out of your bike. in addition to the loops on the trailer I ran straps from the top of the bike to the tie-down points in the bed, which made everything feel much much more stable.

You have to be sure your hitch is rated for the load. I have an IV, and I don't think the III is rated for our bike's weight, even though the trailer is. Double check me on that as it's been a couple years since I looked into it.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good feedback, thx. I rented a house for vacation towards the end of the summer so I have time to do my homework. There’s plenty of open road out that way that would be a nice change of pace and would get me away from loud pre-teen kids!
If I had adequate storage I’d get a trailer in a second but inner-city living isn’t known for having the luxury of extra real estate.
The tongue weight for my truck needs to be verified. the minimum rating for an expedition is 600lb so the bike and carrier could be right there.
I was more worried it would be a 2 person job which would be an issue for the return trip. Maybe the u-haul trailer is the way to go. I’m not so sure I trust those other hitches that you only load the front of the bike and you tow it on the rear tire. I feel like that can’t be good for the bike or suspension etc

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey mmart im gonna keep it short and sweet... i look at this situation kinda like i look at lending someone money... Dont lend ANYONE any $$ that your gonna be upset over if they dont pay u back... basically: dont mount your cruiser to something that was not specifically designed to carry your cruiser unless your ok with looking in your rearview halfway into the trip and noticing you started the trip with a vn 750 on the back and now it minus 7500$$ outta your pocket quz the bike is sitting on the road a few towns back...lol .. . I'm honestly not trying to be smart Jess speaking personally. I'm in love with my by and if anything happened to it it would be like losing a loved one to me so risking strapping that thing to a inch and 1/4 piece of tube steel that slides into my research and counting on that to hold my baby while traveling 70 miles per hour plus on the inner state is too risky for me. The stress alone would calls me a stroke

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I rented a U haul trailer when my stator crapes out on me. They have motorcycle specific ones. Even if I keep it the whole week I’m away it won’t cost as much as one of the “good” carriers.
Appreciate the input folks.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,892 Posts
I too vote for the way of the trailer (buy or rent).

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Second question on this topic, what’s the overall opinion/trust level of the single wheel chocks that attach to the hitch and basically tow the bike on its rear wheel? Is that just beating on the rear suspension? I’m slowly exploring all my options

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Myself, I wouldn't unless it was a short distance at lower speed. It will be spinning everything from the trans to rear wheel, and the rear tire mileage will probably suffer.

At least it would be almost warmed up when you get there.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m not surprised by that response, figured I’d put it out there.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I plan to rent a UHaul trailer when I finally take my bike up to the Dragon now that I finally have a pickup. They're not too expensive from what I've seen. Something like $15-20/day (probably with some surcharges)

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I put a wheel chock on a Harbor Freight trailer rated at 1150lbs to haul a VN700 about 150 miles pulled by a Dodge Neon. Worked great. Now I have a cheap trailer to use around to house and camping.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,892 Posts
I put a wheel chock on a Harbor Freight trailer rated at 1150lbs to haul a VN700 about 150 miles pulled by a Dodge Neon. Worked great. Now I have a cheap trailer to use around to house and camping.
VN750 weight is around 500lbs., so that was no problem for that trailer. even with plywood and a wheel chock.

·
Registered
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
139 Posts
VN750 weight is around 500lbs., so that was no problem for that trailer. even with plywood and a wheel chock.
Yep Yep. Notice that the bumper hitch has a dirt-bike on it. Under 300 lbs. No, don't use it for 500+ lbs.

U-Haul has a "garden" trailer you can get for few bucks a day, just roll 'er up the rear gate which doubles as a ramp, and then use your Quality tie-downs two at the front and two at the rear, and you can rock and roll. Then you don't need a wheel chock, which needs to be fastened to trailer bed to make it functional.

U-Haul does have the covered trailers if you want to spend more, up to you.

That hitch creature on your truck's bumper doesn't allow the proper angles for tie-downs to stop extensive torque that tries to topple the bike backward/forward on acceleration/braking.

That weight on the rear bumper of your truck would unweight the front tires enough to affect the truck's handling negatively. With this hitch you could make it work if you drive extra cautiously and be on high-alert and nervously pray to the road gods, which would not be fun if your trip distance is long. Thorn bravely did that and I think he said it wasn't too much fun.

With the trailer and tie-downs, you can get on down the road.

I ran this setup at extreme speeds (but I shouldn't confess that) with a bike weighing "only" 450 lbs.

But anyway, I think you got all this info already by now. I'm just bored so I'm posting here. Hope u didn't get bored reading it, haha.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
If you're thinking about going with the HF trailer, check availability right away in case you need to place an order. When I looked yesterday, the page said not currently available in WV, PA, and a third state.

They do have two models, both reasonably priced.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Appreciate the heads up, I still haven’t decided whether or not to take the bike on the trip. I’m knee deep in a bathroom remodel job right now and haven’t thought too much about my August plans. I did however check out Uhaul a few weeks back. The have the motorcycle trailers for like $14 a day.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,892 Posts
Appreciate the heads up, I still haven’t decided whether or not to take the bike on the trip. I’m knee deep in a bathroom remodel job right now and haven’t thought too much about my August plans. I did however check out Uhaul a few weeks back. The have the motorcycle trailers for like $14 a day.
I hear ya. welcome to my world! the wife and I have been working on our bathroom since March! we plan on working on it every weekend, but life (and death(s)) keep getting in the way of those plans. BLAST! we hit it hard this weekend, but the weather looks just too good to not to take a little spin.

$14 a day, for a motorcycle trailer is cool in my book.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts