Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided to make some floorboards. For the past week I have been using some preliminary boards made from 3/4" red oak. These were shaped based on Knifemakers demensions. After a week of riding around on what had to look to others like I just grabbed a couple scrap pieces of wood and drilled them on, I have decided I like the difference and Im now making what I hope to be a permanent version. This par is being made out of 1 inch red oak. This time I started with KM demensions and made so mods. Now they look more like a diamond shape. While Im writing this the first layer of paint is drying. After the 4th coat of paint they will be mounted and the non stick surface will be applied, stuff I got has a yellow reflective strip about 1cm that should give a little unique look to it. Here is a pic of them before paint went on.

Big thanks to KM for posting the layout of his boards without that I probably never would have tried this. KM if you would like I am willing to pay an copyright fee if ya wanna call it that. I really do appreciate the pics you posted on yahoo.

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Sounds/looks cool. So you're going with a paint instead of a stain? I think a good stain would really give her a unique look. Good luck with it.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
There was a guy here about 8 months ago that made some wood floorboards, but he never posted pics and I believe has since gotten rid of his Vulcan.

Looks good so far Tirrell. :smiley_th

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah that post was kinda where I got the idea from. Not that Im a cheapskate and dont wanna buy Knifemakers. Im just really getting to like all the things I have done to the bike and as I find more things searching around here the more I wanna find out if I can do it too.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Looking good, making it your own is the fun of riding.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here they are as of now. 3 coats of flat black. Was gonna do 4 but Im lazy and reasoned that top will be covered, bottom is outa sight, and I may use some aluminum tape around the edges so wth did I paint it to start with. Gonna let the paint dry over night and put em on tomorrow. Also decided to drill my pipes. 4- 3/8 holes in each pipe. Spaced out so if I want to add more I can. Heres new pics.

Attachments

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
hehe... I just made my own floorboards today outta 3/16 aluminum diamond plate. Cost me $15 for mounting hardware and enough al to do it (from scrap metal place). I too used a variation of KM's design - he aughta have a "donate here for design" button on his website ;-).

Once I have the passenger set done as well I'll have to post pics too (in my own thread of course ;-))

Looks good Tirrell - definitely interested in seeing pics once you have em mounted. Such fun making your own things - often not as perfect as if ya bought it - but way cheaper and gives ya the pride of doin it yourself.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Boards are now done and installed. Decided for now just to leave sides black. If I wasnt in the middle of a noreaster Id go for a ride.

Attachments

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
They look good and wood is definitely easier to shape and work with than aluminum.
My only concerns are..
Durability
Holding up to the elements, road spray, rain, humidity and.. what happens when you scrape a peg?
I'd also be interested in how the vibrations are transmitted, whether the wood 'softens' them or amplifies them. Floorboards do pick up more of the engine vibrations which is why they usually have the rubber (that and the gripping factor of the rubber for footing)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not yet sure about durability, but for cost can easily be replaced if needed. As for scraping that could cause a problem, but for that matter I have never scraped the pegs on any bike, not saying it wont happen sooner or later but that concern never crossed my mind. Vibration wise they arent anymore noticable to me over stock pegs. I rode about 160 miles on friday and tested up to about 95mph, and that was on 3/4 inch instead of the 1 inch being used now. As I give them some use Ill update on any problems I find.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Looks good man!

I'd half considered wood floorboards, but I do live in northwet oregon - so for me it woulda been dumb to do.

Amazing how floorboards change the feel of the ride!

Off to make my passenger boards...

·
Super Moderator
11,928 Posts
hehe... I just made my own floorboards today outta 3/16 aluminum diamond plate. ...... he aughta have a "donate here for design" button on his website ;-).

Send those checks to:

Eric Steinert
1173 Winter Park Drive
Fenton , MO. 63026

Seriously, I am glad to see others using my design. I wish I could sell my boards cheaper. I had thought of using wood myself but as Dianna said. had concerns about durability, especialy in wet conditions. (I would have used Teak myself instead of Oak..) Instead they are machined out of 3/8" thick aircraft grade aluminum plate , and have a pretty good wearing synthetic rubber pad for a non slip grip...so, they ended up being fairly industructable,even those that dumped their bikes at speed noticed the peg will shear off, but the boards remain intact.... but as you say, given the cost of the wood ones , not a worry there.
But I will accept any donations, but would greatly prefer you make it to the Gathering and buy me a beer..

Knifemaker

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Send those checks to:

But I will accept any donations, but would greatly prefer you make it to the Gathering and buy me a beer..

Knifemaker
HEHE... but if only the gathering wasn't 2000 miles from here...

Now if ya'll organize a gathering 2000 miles from you...

Love your design KM. Loved having my driver floorboards, and we'll see how my wife likes her floorboards.

·
Super Moderator
11,928 Posts
I'm surprised no one has made some out of Lexan yet. Laminate 3 or 4 thickness of 1/8" Lexan with epoxy resin and you would have something at least approaching the strength of aluminum, not to mention the waterproofness. Easy to drill and shape also.

KM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts