Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son-in-law has left his 2003 VN750 in my garage for several months with the petcock on and fuel in the tank. We have drained the tank and replaced the petcock with a non-vacuum model. We cleaned the tank and put seafoam in it with the new fuel. Now it will start but when the fuel in the carb is spent the engine dies. Is this something in the lines or do we have a vacuum issue?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Have you confirmed there's fuel getting to the carbs? After it dies open the bowl drains and see if there's fuel in the bowls. You could also remove the lines from the petcock and see if fuel flows out.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
My son-in-law has left his 2003 VN750 in my garage for several months with the petcock on and fuel in the tank. We have drained the tank and replaced the petcock with a non-vacuum model. We cleaned the tank and put seafoam in it with the new fuel. Now it will start but when the fuel in the carb is spent the engine dies. Is this something in the lines or do we have a vacuum issue?
You say it will start. How is the fuel it initially starts on get into the carbs? My point is that fuel must be getting there through the petcock and the fuel lines. Do a search on POOGS and the ways to fix/prevent that. Also do a search on cleaning your fuel cap vent system. You could pull the fuel lines at the carbs once it stalls and see if the fuel is flowing but I would guess it is. Let us know if you discover anything after checking those things.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Could also be on the other end of the spectrum and may be flooding out.check the spark plugs to see if they're wet.the float bowl needles may be dirty.look up Wolfie's backblow method.it should be a sticky in the carb section.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts