Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
if it will crank over and not start and run, check your plugs for gas, wet, dry, condition, if they are completely dry you may not be getting fuel into cyl., if they are wet you may not have spark.. that would be a good place to start. with air , spark and fuel, it should, start and run.

·
Registered
154 Posts
yes, there is a switch on the kckstand that prevents the motor from running when the kickstand is down....can you bypass it just to see if that is the problem??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How is it possible to bypass it i've tried to disconnect it and connecting both wires together and its still the same...

·
Registered
387 Posts
The switch on the kickstand prevents you from starting the bike in gear without the clutch lever pulled in. It will also shut off the bike if you put it in gear and try to ride off with the kickstand down. It should have no effect if the bike is in neutral.
And what you did is what he meant by by-passing.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
If nothing at all is happening, then I'm with Kanuck - double-check all of your connections, and check your voltage on your battery. Could be enough to light things up, but not turn the starter. You might also check your fuses - someone the other day posted that the 30amp fuse leads to the coils; maybe take a look and see if that one's blown.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Does the kickstand switch work with the clutch lever switch with the trans in neutral?

It's one wire somewhere that's not happy.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
On a VN750, is there easy access to jump the starter solenoid with a screwdriver to make sure the starter will work?

Also, try holding in the clutch lever (I don't think this will make any difference on your bike though) - I have to do this on my 95 VN750.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not being funny but I have issues with my '86 when the Key is not in exactly the right position I get the same symptoms. I keep turning the key with the start button depressed until the starter cranks. Unlikely to be your problem but hey its worth a shot - I mean my bike is 20 years old and has done 50k miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've tried to jump start it with another battery (-)to the frame and (+) to
the engine with ingnition on, the engine turned over 3-4 times and then
the starter just started to turn freely... Did i break anything?

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
The starter clutch may have bought the farm. You should be able to get more than 3-4 cranks out of it before any damage occurs. That and any damage from long term cranking will be to the starter motor itself, not the rest of the componants.
You may also want to check and see that the starter is still fully seated in the engine as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts