Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. Just got my 92 750 last week. It's my first bike, and man, did I have a great week here in the SF Bay Area hills. I rode the damn thing every day; put about 300 miles on it. Then I went out of town for the weekend, so it sat for two days.

Now it won't start. The starter will chug away until the relay starts clicking but it won't catch. After recharging the battery, which was down to 11 volts, we found out that it was pulling 2.5 amps just sitting there, ignition off. So we're thinking it's a short somewhere, and I'm not looking forward to trying to track it down.

Does that sound right? And if it does, do these babies tend to short in certain places where I should start looking? I spent some time in the electrical forum and the Vulcan Verses (very nice resource, btw--you guys have a great thing going here) but I didn't see anything that quite applied. It had been starting OK, although it would sometimes die once or twice when cold, but that was a matter of choke/throttle--it would always start. I believe the guy before me had just had his mechanic put a new starter in.

So like I said, this is my first bike. I've worked on cars some, but you may have to talk real slow and use big hand motions...

Cheers,

Aram

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Here is a quick way to locate a draw.

1. Put a amp meter on the batt to tell what the draw is at a rest.
2. start removing fuses one at a time untill the draw drops.

When it drops that is the circuit that there is a problem with.
2.5 amps ia alot of draw.
that will kil a batt in 2 days yes.
To get the proper draw you need to remove the neg termnal and hook the amp meter up between the terminal and batt. dont turn on the ignition will draw alot and can blow your meter if it is not capable of that kinda load.
Hope this helps

Reactions: fergy

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
That is how I fix cars, thay have alot more circuits to deal with and if you can narow it down to a small section really helps.
When it is your job you can loose alot of money if it takes you to long.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh hey, sorry, should have come back. See the rest of the saga in my new post, "Replacing r/r--battery, too?"

Thanks,

Aram

1 - 7 of 7 Posts