Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
I am having an issue with fuel leaking into the sump. I am not technical or motor minded when it comes to repair but here is what i have done. Having looked at some posts (most helpful) I repaired the petcock with a kit and done the vaccumm test - the tap seems to be doing what it supposed to do. Could the problem lie wth the float in the carb ?The bike has been having trouble starting lately and with repeated turning of the engine i presume that fuel has been over filling carbs / carb and finding its way past the piston/s down to the sump. Any help on where to go from here will be much appreciated guy's as i have little knowledge on carbs.
Thanx advance
Tanx

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Hi Guys
I am having an issue with fuel leaking into the sump. I am not technical or motor minded when it comes to repair but here is what i have done. Having looked at some posts (most helpful) I repaired the petcock with a kit and done the vaccumm test - the tap seems to be doing what it supposed to do. Could the problem lie wth the float in the carb ?The bike has been having trouble starting lately and with repeated turning of the engine i presume that fuel has been over filling carbs / carb and finding its way past the piston/s down to the sump. Any help on where to go from here will be much appreciated guy's as i have little knowledge on carbs.
Thanx advance
Tanx
You might have a stuck open float, a hole in the float, or an improperly adjusted float. I would also check to see if your choke is adjusted right. If your petcock is working right you will not get any gas to the carbs unless the engine is cranking and creating a vacuum. Make sure you have a strong battery and good spark plugs to burn the fuel. If your bike is like mine ( 2001 ) it has an off position on the petcock. If so, you can start the bike with just the fuel left in the float bowl and let it run and die. If you can do this you will know that with the petcock open you are putting too much fuel into the needle valve and the engine is being flooded.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,193 Posts
sounds like your float or the float needle could be dirty and not closing.try Wolfie's back blow method.drain all gas out of the float bowl.hook up a hose to the drain and blow through it.might have to refill bowl and try again.if that don't work,might have to remove carbs and clean them:(if the float is closing properly,it shouldn't matter if the gas is on because once the bowl fills up,the float needle shuts off fuel to the carb when working properly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts