Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled all the spark plugs to see what condition they were in and they looked, smelled, and felt perfect. I put the plugs back in and plugged the wires back on and it fired right up... Except that I forgot to reconnect the rear right plug wire and it fired right up... I tried grabbing the wire by the plug boot and got a good ol shock.
I turned the bike off and reconnected the wire and then it wouldn't fire up, unplugged it again and it fired up...

I know I should be putting 2+2 together but I'm getting 5. The only thing I could think of is that maybe its shorting out or something.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also noticed that when the bike tries to turn over the battery starts making a boiling sizzling sound. I don't remember this happening to my Sportster. could this also have something to do with it? bad voltage regulator maybe?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts
Does it do it with the plug wIre off? Check to see if the plug wire is grounding out

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The battery is charging now, I'll try it in a little bit.
Would the wire grounding out cause the battery to 'boil'?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I had it on the trickle charger for about 3 hours, the battery is sitting at 11.5V and the starter relay just keeps'll klicking without turning the bike over.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Test #10 I switched all the spark plugs with new ones of the same type and tapped up the spark plug wires to make sure they were not grounding out. Still nothing, barely wants to turn over.

Test #11 I bypassed the starter relay and the starter didn't want to turn the engine over.

Test #12 I then hooked jumper leads from a car batter to the starter and it is still reluctant to turn the engine over. It sounds like the starter doesn't even make a full revolution.

So at this point I'm assuming the starter is bad... If I am wrong I would love for someone to point it out before I order a new one.

I appreciate all of your time for helping me so far.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see they are not making anymore new starters but they do continue to make starter rebuild kits for my bike. Would this be a good choice?

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised that during your testing with the plug wire connected you overheated the starter creating a 2nd separate problem.

A friend of mind burned out his starter after trying to start his truck after a car wash.

Can't help with your 1st problem (no start with plug wire hooked up).

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im going to try the overnight trickle charge, but even hooked up to a car and not being able to charge I think its a deeper problem. I'm going to get the starter rebuild kit and new spark plug wires, see if that does the trick, if not then I will work back from the starter by testing the coils.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts
Don't use the starter for more than 5-8 seconds and give a few seconds break so as not yo overhead it

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More trial and error...

So after trickle charging my battery all night I figure the charger is going bad as my battery level went from 11.5V to 10V.

I noticed the Electrolyte level was pretty low so I refilled it with distilled water.
I then took a risk of charging the battery with jumpers from my jeep while it was on. With the new Electrolyte levels the battery held a charge at 12.5V.

The bike started right up being connected to the Jeep while it was on, first try even. Disconnecting the jumpers and trying to restart the bike resulted in the battery draining after 3-4, 5 second attempts to start the bike.

Now I know there is an issue with the vn750's having a terrible electrical setup, having huge draining issues through the lights. Now I am also thinking either a couple cells in my battery could be bad or maybe I should get a no-maintenance, higher cranking, higher voltage battery.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts