Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner of a 2005 VN750. No idea about electrical stuff so please excuse my ignorance.

My bike has a fully charged working battery. When the key is turned on the signal lights work and the horn but the headlight does not come on and the bike wont crank at all when the start button is pushed. The red oil light is also on when the ignition is turned on. Any ideas what is going on and where to start?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
The headlight should not come on until the motor actually cranks. The bike has a few safety features that will prevent it from starting. Make sure it’s in neutral. You didn’t mention the green light over the oil light. If it’s in gear it will not start without the clutch lever being held in and the side stand up. Verify the basics before you start troubleshooting any possible electrical issues

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The headlight should not come on until the motor actually cranks. The bike has a few safety features that will prevent it from starting. Make sure it’s in neutral. You didn’t mention the green light over the oil light. If it’s in gear it will not start without the clutch lever being held in and the side stand up. Verify the basics before you start troubleshooting any possible electrical issues
Yeah the green light is on over the red light like normal. Bike is in neutral.

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
Did it start before?
A battery can be strong enough to light up lightbulbs but not enough to turn the starter.
You can try jumping it with a car battery and see if that does anything. (Don’t have the car running)
Do you hear anything when you hit the starter button? Could be the button itself.
Am sure someone more versed in the bikes wiring can give you some advice on what and how to check the pertinent parts here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it started before. Does not make any noise or anything when the button is pressed. Ill try and jump start it.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
In stock configuration the bike won't start if you're in gear with the clutch engaged. Try starting it with both the transmission in neutral and with the clutch lever pulled in, just to see if your particular bike needs them both to be open (indicates a bad wire. unlikely to help, but easy to try).

The starter circuit relay in the junction box often goes bad, but can be bypassed. Search for the 2-wire mod. Be aware that you also need to do the blue-wire mod in order to get your headlight working again after doing the 2-wire since the headlight relay shares some circuitry with the starter interlock circuit, and is effectively deactivated after the 2-wire mod is performed.

If the 2-wire doesn't help, then you're looking at a dead starter relay (near the start motor, not in the junction box), a dead starter motor (the relay would click, but no motor movement), or a broken wire to chase down.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The sidestand switch could be broken as well. I don't know exactly what I'm saying but like someone above said, check the quick stuff before going into the electrical. I get a monthly magazine from a parts maker and they run a story each month about someone making stupid mistakes, costing them all kinds of unnecessary money and time. LOL

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Need to check if there's power going to the kill switch and work from there. Usually an orange wire but one diagram shows it as red.

Could even be a bad ignition switch, the last guy with lights, no power at kill switch, and no crank had a bad ign. switch. About a week ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts