Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just got everything back together but wont start. does the exhaust have to be hooked up to start? was just checking to see if it would fire. got the pipes on but not the goat belly. didnt have an extra hand at the time. put iridium plugs in, cleaned all electrical, seems to be getting fuel. pickup coils test on the ohms meter showing around 44 while not running of course. it will try to run for a couple of seconds but dies almost immediately. any advice welcome. i did coaster and plugged the vent line from the carb that went to the emissions thing under the seat.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Should at least run without goat's belly.see if it'll run on starting fluid.check to see if the vacuum line is hooked up to the petcock.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's what i was afraid it was cold today so as soon as it warms up i guess i will recheck them. its gonna suck to have to pull the engine again. but next time will be easier lol.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Make sure you're checking it right- if you were reading 0.44 Megaohms- that would be 440 ohms, or about right. Also, if you do need to replace one pickup, you can solder one in just by removing the stator cover.

Pull the spark plugs and crank it with the electrode near a cylinder head- if you hear an audible pop and see a spark, there is likely no problem with the pickup coil or ignition for that matter.

Check your float level, too. When our CVK carbs sit they tend to gum up.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so if i have to solder one i would just clip the wires solder and heat shrink? is there a special type of heat shrink i should use due to heat and oil. i was hoping i could do that but was afraid it wouldn't stay insulated due to the heat. or would an epoxy work like what is used on the stator wires. sorry lot of questions at one time.

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Yep, just solder the wires together. At a minimum, you would want to use a polyolefin heat shrink, which is fuel resistant and suitable for 275F applications. There are heavier duty hest shrinks, but not required. I think you can get the 3M stuff at Napa.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
before you go rewiring things.....make sure you didn't reverse the locations of the pickup coils.
It will not run if they are in the wrong locations.
Excellent KC !

:smiley_th

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it is finally alive!!! "moonshine chug" don't know why but it fired right up today. guess it was just to cold last time i tried. rode around the trailer park everything good so far. next is acct to mcct. hopefully it will do just as good on the highway. CAN'T EXPRESS ENOUGH the THANKS for everyone's help. you guys have saved me a lot of money and headaches. thanks again

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
must have since it started couple days later. just glad i didnt have to pull the engine again. which would probably be easier the second time but still wasn't looking forward to it. hopefully everything works now. glad i was down through the winter and not all summer. lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts