Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have noticed since owning my bike that anytime I get on it full throttle and I try to shift from 1st to 2nd, I always land in neutral and revving the motor pretty hard. Is this a normal characteristic or am I running into tranny problems? Bike is 2003 with roughly 18.5K miles on it.

Thanks!

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Sometimes if I do not shift decisive enough, the positive-neutral finder or whatever it's called will pop it into neutral instead of second. It's common for it to happen, but not EVERY time.

If it is happening every single time then the positive-neutral finder or whatever it's called is acting up?

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sometimes if I do not shift decisive enough, the positive-neutral finder or whatever it's called will pop it into neutral instead of second. It's common for it to happen, but not EVERY time.

If it is happening every single time then the positive-neutral finder or whatever it's called is acting up?
It is not every time. Only when I shift quickly from 1st to 2nd. All other gears operate normally. If I hesitate just a bit before shifting into 2nd, it'll go right in. Otherwise, it's neutral.

The above conditions only happen when during hard acceleration.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
It is not every time. Only when I shift quickly from 1st to 2nd. All other gears operate normally. If I hesitate just a bit before shifting into 2nd, it'll go right in. Otherwise, it's neutral.

The above conditions only happen when during hard acceleration.
It sounds like the positive neutral finder. Some have issues with it more than others, most likely due to riding style.

I wouldn't think that you have issues, but just happen to trigger the PNF at the most inopportune times (like I tend to do).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sometimes when I just start out riding, my bike will shift back into neutral while under throttle. I have found that I was not shifting it all the way into first. By being a little more aggressive when shifting into first, it does not do it anymore.

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
If there is room between your toe and the shift lever, you could try rotating the lever counter-clockwise one tooth. I did this when I stoped wearing my steel-toes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts