Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I have a '99 750 that was left over winter with about 1/2 gal of untreated gas in it. It won't idle and won't run w/o the choke on full. I tried seafoam and thought I was making progress but when I tried to ride it, it stalled when I pulled up the kickstand and raised it to a riding position. Any suggestions?

P.S. I've never taken a caarb apart and am afraid to do it; should I be?

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
My guess is that the idle (pilot) jet is varnished from the old gas. If the Seafoam doesn't work, you can try filling it with carb cleaner. There is a thread here that explains how to use the carb drain. I don't have the link, but a quick search ought to turn it up. Barring that, removing and giving the carbs a good soak in solvent is probably warranted. I was just at the same place you are in now. In my case the Seafoam did the trick. I was reluctant to pull the carbs, however, since I have been doing a lot of work on my bike, I am leaning towards pulling them in a couple of weeks to give them a thorough cleaning. Just my $.02! The more experienced folks will chime in I am sure. BTW...If you don't already have one, pick up the service manual. I have the Clymer's manual, and it has been invaluable. Also, there is a downloadable Kaw service manual in PDF format at www.tocmanufacturing.com. It's not a bad idea to have both around. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts