Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys I am back again.

So the other day I was riding down a back road, when I came to a stop sign I heard a slight grinding sound towards the front of the engine. I was very worried so I took it really easy and was headed back to the house when I came up on a really old truck going 35 in a 55. He put his hand out of the window and signaled for me to pass him. I went to pass him. No downshift or anything and maybe got up to 5-6k rpms. Then suddenly my bike lost all power. I could still Rev the engine but not a single one of the gears would engage. Left me stranded on the side of the road and blah blah. Trailered it back home and bought new clutch plates, I knew I was going to need to replace them anyway and I thought that might have something to do with it. Well I just replaced them and fired her up. Put it in first and it sounds like it is trying to engage in but cant. Slight grinding sound when the clutch is let all the way out in all of the gears.

Please please tell me I just haven't adjusted the clutch right or something and it's not the transmission!

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
what condition are the splines at the rear of the drive shaft in? (the ones that connect the drive shaft to the rear gear).

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
with clever searching and some luck, 200 bucks should get you everything (used drive assy of course, some people go for new coupler, some people get lucky and find a used one)

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
If you go on ebay right now you can pick up a final drive and a driveshaft with coupler for like $140. gasket is less than $20

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you go on ebay right now you can pick up a final drive and a driveshaft with coupler for like $140. gasket is less than $20
Would you mind linking me to this?

I finally got a chance today to get it apart. The splines are completely toast and rusted. I've been reading about this moly 60 as the gear lube. Where do I buy that at?

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
that link by newrider is a driveshaft and coupler. (you need coupler).

you also need a rear gear assy (final drive, differential (yea, some people call it that), and a gasket.

the driveshaft link by newrider contains the coupler and a driveshaft. you only have to replace the coupler, but its sometimes easier to replace both as a unit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
that link by newrider is a driveshaft and coupler. (you need coupler).

you also need a rear gear assy (final drive, differential (yea, some people call it that), and a gasket.

the driveshaft link by newrider contains the coupler and a driveshaft. you only have to replace the coupler, but its sometimes easier to replace both as a unit.
If someone could link me to this gasket I will have everything I need on the way!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts