Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've replaced the whole charging system and still nothing it'll run for a few minutes and then it'll die out but it won't charge at all

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
What voltage do you get? Engine off and engine running. A bad or shorted battery can pull voltage down.

If you're sure all the components are good, then I'd suspect wiring. The Junction Box is a problem spot.

You could start by taking the positive wire on the RR and run it directly to the battery positive.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
When you say you burned up a regulator, what do you mean? Was that before or after changing all the other parts?
Did you replace the stator, R/R, and battery?

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
What voltage do you get? Engine off and engine running. A bad or shorted battery can pull voltage down.

If you're sure all the components are good, then I'd suspect wiring. The Junction Box is a problem spot.

You could start by taking the positive wire on the RR and run it directly to the battery positive.
This is something I am planning to try...run the positive R/R wire directly to the battery. My issue is that the bike doesn't produce nominal charging voltage. The voltage is just a little low (i.e. 12.2V at idle, 12.7V at 3K RPM). But I read that a fuse is a good idea between the RR and the battery. Any idea as to the appropriate fuse size?

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
30amp, but the mosfet kits use a maxifuse or circuit breaker.

12.2 is below the level of a dead battery, makes me think something is shorted.

Is the RR plug melted?

If you can get the positive wire released from the RR plug, you can test the positive rr terminal by itself.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
30amp, but the mosfet kits use a maxifuse or circuit breaker.

12.2 is below the level of a dead battery, makes me think something is shorted.

Is the RR plug melted?

If you can get the positive wire released from the RR plug, you can test the positive rr terminal by itself.
Nah, my R/R is not melted at all. The new one I got passes all the R/R tests. I'm reading 12.2V @ idle, 12.4V @ 2,000RPM, and 12.7V @ 3,000RPM. Next I'm going to look closely at the Junction Box and possibly route the R/R directly to the battery like you suggest. I have the wire/in line fuse/battery terminal connections...picked it up from Autozone yesterday on the bike. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts