Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pulled off my brakes as I am re-doing the front end on the bike and I noticed that the front wheel wobbles. I didn't notice it before I guess because the calipers were holding the wheel straight with the rotors. I pulled apart the hub and it was disgustingly dirty, rusty and in a nutshell AFU. However I didn't see anything missing or a possbile cause to the wobble in the wheel. I assume that the front wheel with no brakes should spin straight and not have any free play. I am at a loss to what could have caused it. The only thing abnormal I noticed was the speedo reciver being slightly bent. I have ordered replacement bearings, speedo reciever, and other parts, etc. Now I am just curious what the play of the wheel is on other 750's.

Thanks

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Mine spun freely and str8. I would say wheel bearings is a great place to start.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bearings look pretty thrashed in terms of rust and goo, otherwise mechanically they "look" ok. I am going to get the new ones later this week and if that doesn't shore up the problem I will post again.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
My first guess would also be bad bearings.
When you get the new ones, even if you're told they are pre-greased, fill them with grease anyhow.
Even pre-greased ones rarely have much in them.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
My first guess would also be bad bearings.
When you get the new ones, even if you're told they are pre-greased, fill them with grease anyhow.
Even pre-greased ones rarely have much in them.
FWIW I have used grease with molybdenumdisulfide ((MSO2) aka MOLY) for front wheel bearing for 20 years or so on my cars and trucks. I would recommend it for the bikes also, as the pressure and heat generated will actually contition a microscopicly thin layer of metal as the moly penetrates it. I have seen evidence that this conditioning will continue to protect metal surfaces for some time, even if the grease is displaced later on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about "Green Grease"? I bought a tube for something different but thought maybe I could use it on the bike as well, anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.greengrease.net/

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
What did you use the Green Grease for, and how long ago? Is it standing up to the job?I`ve never heard of it before and there is no mention of moly, but they say it is waterproof and the video clip shows them greasing a boat trailer`s wheel bearings. If it has been around for the 20 or 25 years they claim, I wouldn`t be afraid to try it.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
If the bearings are indeed shot, you may want to check the races as well. I know on a car if you replace the bearings, you have to replace the races at the same time since they wear together. They (the races) drift out easily on cars anyway. I don't know about our wheels though. Just a thought.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
If the new bearings turn out not to be the prob then your wheel could be warped. But I'd bet on the beaarings. Worst case scenario - I have a good condition front wheel from my 96 I'll let go cheap (cheaper than a dealer anyway)...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am certain from the posts now it was the bearings... The wobble was not during rotation (although I suppose it would have if I rotated it) I noticed it when I turned the bars and then all I had to do was just wiggle them and it would have side to side free play.

What are races? I didn't see that listed in my manual or on any parts list for the wheel bearings.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
I am certain from the posts now it was the bearings... The wobble was not during rotation (although I suppose it would have if I rotated it) I noticed it when I turned the bars and then all I had to do was just wiggle them and it would have side to side free play.

What are races? I didn't see that listed in my manual or on any parts list for the wheel bearings.
Our bearings do NOT have races, they are a one piece sealed design. If your bearings are bad you could have worn spots on the axle, also check your spacers for end play. Loosen the bolt on the lower right fork at the axle tap the fork with a block of wood and hammer to remove end play then tighten bolt to spec. this might help. :beerchug:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Our bearings do NOT have races, they are a one piece sealed design. If your bearings are bad you could have worn spots on the axle, also check your spacers for end play. Loosen the bolt on the lower right fork at the axle tap the fork with a block of wood and hammer to remove end play then tighten bolt to spec. this might help. :beerchug:
I didnt figure they had races, but as my profile name suggests I am new to this :p. BTW I think the axle is fine, the entire wheel is apart for sanding and painting awaiting new parts, etc and I dont see any wear on the axle itself. I will make sure that I use your suggestion after reassembling if there is an issue with wobble with the new parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts