Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a question for those of you who are MUCH more gifted in this area than I. Looks like I am going to end up re-wiring from scratch using Slimvulcan's simplified diagram.

Would you put everything into a single OEM style harness? OR....separate your different areas for easier troubleshooting down the road....for example....

Ignition harness...heat shrunk into a single run and a separate accessory run? Effectively, the two would run parallel routing wise, but would be separate for ease later on? Any cross-connection necessary between the systems would happen near a common connection, rather than midstream. Might take a bit more wire...but could be a little more logical for the wiring noob like me!

Ready, GO!

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
That's exactly how I would do it. Making sub harnesses just makes sense from a diagnostic standpoint. Plus as a bonus you can make it fit better against the frame and if one section messes up its easier to just replace a few wires instead of the whole shebang.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Gotta vote with M_Angell on that one. separate wire bundles but keep you wire colors consistent.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
If you don't use colors make sure you invest in a decent wire labeller system. They make tags and collars to label wires.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely will be using colors. Labels would drive me crazy I think. Great for quick look, but I would rather pull a diagram back out and check. Thanks for for all of the encouragement and confirmation. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
i agree with the theory...it certainly would make more sense in troubleshooting.

I guess the only concern I have would be the space for routing bundles.

I am sure making 3 seperate bundles with heat shrink would take up more room than a single bundle with one larger heat shrink.

Let us know how it works out....take PHOTOS!!!

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
when I did mine, I zip tied common wire locations... IE. Handlebar switch wires, headlight wires, dash wires, ignition system and so forth into their own perspective bundles, then ran the bundles through split wire loom. I used 3/4" loom for the main harness, and 3/8" loom for the smaller runners. This way I have a main harness, but in the event I need to go fix something, I can remove just the single wire.

I still soldered all of my connectors and fallowed up with heatshrink.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts