Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
87 VN750 Lookin Good
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys After installing a small windshield on my bike and having the engine rebuilt and shifter inside the motor rewelded, I thought what a great place for a voltmeter to mount without drilling any holes. I bent an old bracket to fit on the windshield mounting bolts, mounted the volt meter to the windshield and ran the wires to the inside of headlight: Now where is the best place to wire up the meter, and guage light? and what guage and color are the wires? Looks great,above and between the tach and speedo. Just need to wire it up so it only comes on in run position.
Thinking I can wire the light to the speedo bulb (color of wire?) but what to tap into for the meter and what color wire? Ive got an 87 vulcan that is really starting to look brand new and runs like a top!:):)

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
there are two wires inside the headlight bucket that go nowhere one is power one is ground you will have to check to see if the power wire is switched or constant i am not sure on this but you can use the ground for sure and you can use the power wire off of the front coil right behind the neck cover if you wanted i know it is switched power

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
The power leads in the headlight bucket are a constant hot. Most people have wired the volt meter direct to the battery so as tro get a true reading via a relay which can be triggered by almost any ignition powered lead.

·
87 VN750 Lookin Good
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys now for a switched ground

I think I will go directly from battery, as suggested (mechanic told me that also today ) Now all I need to do is find a switched ground in the headlight bezel, wich wire color? (no manual yet) Thanks:smiley_th

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I think I will go directly from battery, as suggested (mechanic told me that also today ) Now all I need to do is find a switched ground in the headlight bezel, wich wire color? (no manual yet) Thanks:smiley_th
there are no switched grounds !
(except radiator mounted temp. sensor for cooling fan)

WilliamTech :smiley_th

·
87 VN750 Lookin Good
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys

:smiley_thThanks new rider 9984 there are no switched grounds so your suggestion worked out fine. I jumped the bulb light to the speedo light and the same ground behind the lamp. Now all I need is a crash bar!

·
87 VN750 Lookin Good
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks I luck out again

I happen to be looking for books and found the manual at the local thrift stoe $1.00!!!---- Also found a guy last month trading in his 96 750 on a new bike and he swapped seats with me !! looks like new and the dealer got the ripped seat,:carryflag

1 - 9 of 9 Posts