Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

I'm looking for some advice!
I have a Vulcan 750 "86" It was imported to the UK from the US back in 1998, I have done some work on the bike it now has straight through exhuast and I have done away with the Emmission control system as we dont need it here in the UK.
The problem is with the electrics, sometimes it wont turn over somtimes it does, lights work and don't work and when I have looked closer the wiring loom just abover the coils look as though they have been cut in to and wires added with scotch blocks it does'nt look good
I managed to find a loom on ebay again in the US, when it arrived it had the very same "repair" as such its been tested and is of no use.

you cant buy a brand new loom any more so I want to make one up from scratch.
Thats the problem, I dont have a clue how to ?

Somebody said to me that I should scrap the bike I cant afford to its my only bike I have spent money on it that I cant afford to waste and apart from that I still really love the bike!

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Well it sounds to me like you have two harnesses with good connectors. If I wanted to make a new one identical to a stock one I would snip the connectors and properly splice new wires to them one at a time. You can order all of your wire from local auto shops or online. Be sure you use the same color coding to make this go as smoothly as possible. I don't think it should cost you too much, but it is going to be time consuming as hell.

Keep in mind that most mass produced wiring harnesses aren't as clean as you'd expect them to be. I have run across factory harnesses with little more than heat shrink and tape holding crude terminations.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Hi

I'm looking for some advice!
I have a Vulcan 750 "86" It was imported to the UK from the US back in 1998, I have done some work on the bike it now has straight through exhuast and I have done away with the Emmission control system as we dont need it here in the UK.
The problem is with the electrics, sometimes it wont turn over somtimes it does, lights work and don't work and when I have looked closer the wiring loom just abover the coils look as though they have been cut in to and wires added, it does'nt look good
I managed to find a loom on ebay again in the US, when it arrived it had the very same "repair" as such its been tested and is of no use.

you cant buy a brand new loom any more so I want to make one up from scratch.
Thats the problem, I dont have a clue how to ?

Somebody said to me that I should scrap the bike I cant afford to its my only bike I have spent money on it that I cant afford to waste and apart from that I still really love the bike!

There are built in (factory) two wire pigtail for accessories (usually) located on the rightside ...in the area of the batterybox.
Could this be what you are viewing ?

IIRC...They are ignition switched.

:smiley_th

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Maybe you should post a pic or two to see if those aren't normal for the bike.

The problem you refer to at first, could be a faulty ignition puck... nothing to do with the wiring.

·
4,508 Posts
Maybe you should post a pic or two to see if those aren't normal for the bike.

The problem you refer to at first, could be a faulty ignition puck... nothing to do with the wiring
x2 !

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeh the engine is black, the log book says Vulcan 750

I think who ever registered it in the UK did so as a 750 not 700 maybe

·
Super Moderator
12,094 Posts
yeh the engine is black, the log book says Vulcan 750

I think who ever registered it in the UK did so as a 750 not 700 maybe
Well not sure how the UK does it....but taxes and insurance are based on displacement here. So you might be paying more than you should have to.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
The 1985 is a 700. The 1986 is a 750. Both kept the black attributes though.
On the steering neck of the bike, right side, should be a sticker that tells ya all...date of mfg, VIN, etc.
When it comes to wiring, especially on an older bike that may have corrosion, its critical to disconnect all the quick connectors and clean them, and any splices should be soldered then sealed. Also, check ALL of your grounds. If you need a hi-res wiring diagram, PM me your email and I'll send to you.

·
Super Moderator
12,094 Posts
The 1985 is a 700. The 1986 is a 750. Both kept the black attributes though.
On the steering neck of the bike, right side, should be a sticker that tells ya all...date of mfg, VIN, etc.
Ooooops. That is correct. Not sure why I got it screwed up. The tariff was lifted in 1986. Guess I was thinking the 86 model came out before the tariff was removed.

Sorry :)

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
And if ya wanna get REAL picky, my 85 was made in Oct 84, lolol....thats why I suggested he check the date of mfg sticker...if its a Canadian/Euro model though, its def a 750...but ya, both the 85/86 has the black engine and wheels...overstocked I guess, lol...
Only the jugs and head changed from the 700 (major changes that is)...

PS...the displacement is stamped right on the engine too....top of crancase, left side...mine says 699cc....

·
4,508 Posts
And if ya wanna get REAL picky, my 85 was made in Oct 84, lolol....thats why I suggested he check the date of mfg sticker...if its a Canadian/Euro model though, its def a 750...but ya, both the 85/86 has the black engine and wheels...overstocked I guess, lol...

PS...the displacement is stamped right on the engine too....top of crancase, left side...mine says 699cc....

I have an 86 (A2), Silver Engine, Silver/Black wheels.
EDIT: Fenders/Tank = Crimson Red w/two color 10" decals on each side of the tank. Manufactured: 11/1985

·
Super Moderator
12,094 Posts

I was under the impression that only the 700cc model had he black motor and wheels. Perhaps Wolf got part of this wrong too...;)

I know there was some cross overs out there but at this point it's hard to be sure what's stock anymore as many older bikes have been altered...

·
4,508 Posts
I was under the impression that only the 700cc model had he black motor and wheels. Perhaps Wolf got part of this wrong too...;)

I know there was some cross overs out there but at this point it's hard to be sure what's stock anymore as many older bikes have been altered...
x2

(it must be the muscle relaxers)

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I got yer "x2"....lol

Its possible that latter 86's were silver (I have been known to be wrong) but have seen black 86's....it was a changeover year...if you check the date of mfg, you'll know for sure...early 86's had black tanks with a yellow and red decal too (red and sumpin, anyway)....
Its like with a 72 Harley FX I had....early 72's were more traditional, where the later 72's had an ugly AMF fiberglass tailpiece and a red white and blue paintjob...

·
4,508 Posts
EDIT: Fenders/Tank = Crimson Red w/two color 12" decals on each side of the tank. Manufactured: 11/1985

bump

more muscle relaxers please !

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...the decals are right....but see, 11/85....had it been 9/85 and prior, bet wouldda been black...couldda been too, that the few 86's I saw had 85 motors...or yer 86 has an 87 motor, lolol....*poke poke*.... ;)

Here is an early 1986....note too, the chrome front fender.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

Wolfie are you 100% sure the heads are different between the 700 and 750 cc engines?
I am almost positive that Ron/lance328 said one time that they were interchangeable.
Of course it is just a week short of two years since Ron's passing, so my "rememberer" may be wrong due to that length of time. :doh:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
...the decals are right....but see, 11/85....had it been 9/85 and prior, bet wouldda been black...couldda been too, that the few 86's I saw had 85 motors...or yer 86 has an 87 motor, lolol....*poke poke*.... ;)

Here is an early 1986....note too, the chrome front fender.

I believe the chrome fenders were standard issue on bikes sold in Australia and other islands in the Pacific "Oceania" region.
Maybe only on the earlier models, I'm not sure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts