Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of us ride in the winter. Today was a bit nippy, supposed to be 18 degrees in the morning, should i or should i not be doing this?:doh:

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
How many of us ride in the winter. Today was a bit nippy, supposed to be 18 degrees in the morning, should i or should i not be doing this?:doh:
Go for it! As long as you have appropiate gear you should be fine. :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
You may not miss the body parts that freeze and fall off! (But then again, you might!)

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts

Why would you want to ride in 18 degree weather?

That is the question you have to ask yourself. Did you not see the post about "Riding your own ride" ?

If you REALY are attracted to the idea of riding in winter...do it.
If it sounds stupid to to you....don't do it.

KM

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
No, where is the post ' riding your own ride'? At what tempature do you see fit?
My post here:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9689

"The important issue here is you should ride your own ride...don't let anyone tell you how fast or slow you should be going, you have to make that desicion yourself."

this is not just about speed, but everything else too.

I personaly do not like to ride unless the temps are above freezing (32F) beacause of the dangers of "black ice".

KM

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thankyou knife, that is very true, i agree even at 32 it's rough with all the gear on, gotta tough it out in the morning, car at shop, rode bike home, needed a challenge.
Thats what i like about you knife, straight to the point.

·
Registered
411 Posts
As someone else said, as long as you have the gear, there's no reason not to. Before I had surgery, I was riding to work every day when it was right around freezing when I left the house. Personally, I enjoy riding alongside the lake watching the steam come off of it as the sun is rising. That being said, I live in Texas where the danger of black ice isn't so great. KM has a very good point in that if you live somewhere where black ice is a significant threat, you may not want to ride. Normally, the black ice in this part of Texas occurs more from those people who leave their poorly-aimed sprinkler systems on overnight, coating the road in water before the temperature drops...

--FA

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I really love winter riding (I am a liar too)... I will ride most any cold day that is 60*F or over...:rockon:... (The devil made me do it)...:)...
But then I guess I am old and my blood is too thick and don't circulate like it does in you younger folks...
But, hey believe it or not, it got up to 72*F here in Winchester Tn. Tuesday and I did ride, light jacket & fingerless gloves, enjoyed...:)...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
The winter here in CA is not like it anywhere else. Yeah - we had a bad cold snap and a couple weeks of rain, but now it's getting up to the mid-70s again during the day, maybe low 50s at night. I don't ride if it's raining or if the morning temp gets below 50 ish. Kinda takes the fun out of it for me being cold.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Well, now that the ice storm has passed, and the temps are gonna be warm this weekend, I'll go for a ride.

Biggest danger now is all the sand on the roads.

·
Kawika
441 Posts
I really love winter riding (I am a liar too)... I will ride most any cold day that is 60*F or over...:rockon:... (The devil made me do it)...:)...
But then I guess I am old and my blood is too thick and don't circulate like it does in you younger folks...
But, hey believe it or not, it got up to 72*F here in Winchester Tn. Tuesday and I did ride, light jacket & fingerless gloves, enjoyed...:)...
Hey Old Dog,
what do you expect the "average" weather to be like near you at the end of March/beginning of April? I'm putting together a family trip to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park...but I'm draggin my bike behind the cage in hopes of hitting the Dragon on one of those days. :smiley_th The Blue Ridge Parkway looks nice,too!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Pretty sure the hair acts as it's own helmet. ;)

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Hey Old Dog,
what do you expect the "average" weather to be like near you at the end of March/beginning of April? I'm putting together a family trip to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park...but I'm draggin my bike behind the cage in hopes of hitting the Dragon on one of those days. :smiley_th The Blue Ridge Parkway looks nice,too!
Dave that is a hard one...As the saying goes around here in Tenn., if you don't like the weather just wait till tomorrow...lol...
I am hoping for some good riding weather myself about that time but I remember also getting about a foot of snow in I think 1960 in april...lol...
I will probably be going to East Tenn. along there sometime and maybe riding on into E.Ky., W.Va., & W.West Va., not sure yet...
The Blue Ridge parkway should be a nice and photogenic ride about then as well as in the fall... The parkway would probably be a better family oriented ride since the Dragon has gotten so popular... I remember when your worst fear was meeting a log truck in one of those turns, now it is an idiot crotch rocket rider that thinks no one should be coming the other way...lol...
If it wasn't a family thing I would also suggest another ride, The Devils Triangle or State Hwy 116 by Petros and Brushy mountain state prison...
Good luck on the vacation and ride...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts