Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadn't ridden my bike for several weeks, so I pulled off the cover and rode it to work yesterday. It was 39 degrees when I left, and 44 degrees when I returned. As it was a perfectly sunny day, it was very pleasant riding.

But I noticed one thing: my motorcycle skills had rusted just a little bit!

I found that I really had to pay a little extra attention to everything ~ technique, traffic, etc. Bundled up in warm clothes also made everything just a little bit more awkward (especially the dulled tactile sense through the thick gloves).

I'll tell you this: it felt so good to get out there, and I know my bike was glad to get out too. It took a few false starts to get it going (even though the battery had been on a tender), but when it fired up it purred like a contented cat.

Lots to think about in winter: black ice, loose road salt, cagers not expecting 2-wheelers... But it's worth it to keep the bike on the ready because there will be many dry days with the temperature over 40!

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
Yep I keep the bikes at ready all winter myself. Maybe I can get a ride in today if I can get my truck fixed quickly enough.

·
Registered
109 Posts
"Winter riding" in North Texas is a piece of cake. It's supposed to be in the low 70s today.

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
Yeh yeh. Rub it in.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Well, if it makes the rest of you feel better, it's gonna be cold, cool to some of you, down here for a few days. Even supposed to get below freezing a night.

But as usual, the cold don't last down here too long.

·
Registered
721 Posts
we have 1.5-2 feet of snow, and the roads are all covered in 1/2 inch of slush.. enjoy your riding!!

·
Registered
881 Posts
i will keep my bike ready to go for when mother nature permits, if im lucky there will be a few gaps to ride till' spring comes. i will tinker with the bike a bit & do some maintence

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
We had snow earlier in the week, but the roads were dry enough this morning that I half expected to see a bike or two out . No such luck tho. Lucky beggars in CA, TX and FL with 12 month riding weather.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
A picture of me at our annual "Chicagoland Toys for Tots Motorcycle Parade" this past Sunday. It was 4 degrees when I left the house in the morning and warmed up to a balmy 11 degrees by the time we took off.......I kept thinking to myself it was just 4 Months earlier I was in Sturgis, riding with Sunny skies and temps in the high Eighties!

Stevie D.
Chicago

Attachments

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
Here's one for all you year round nice weather pansies. My own personal mini-twisty - my driveway today. Thrilling ride... actually I'm not crazy, just jealous of my better climate compadres. :(

Attachments

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Here's one for all you year round nice weather pansies. My own personal mini-twisty - my driveway today. Thrilling ride... actually I'm not crazy, just jealous of my better climate compadres. :(
Looks kinda like mine .... save for the fact someone actually cleared yours! I've been down a few days sick and if I don't get out and do it .... nobody else needs to get anywhere. Fired mine up out of spite and only made it as far as the 20" drift 10 feet from the garage .... but it was fun!!!!

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
Looks kinda like mine .... save for the fact someone actually cleared yours! I've been down a few days sick and if I don't get out and do it .... nobody else needs to get anywhere. Fired mine up out of spite and only made it as far as the 20" drift 10 feet from the garage .... but it was fun!!!!
Yeah, I keep on it because a good snow/ice pack on the hill can be a pain in the butt with several months of this crap yet to go. The tractor blower just doesn't cut it for the free feeling tooling down the road on a VN750. Maybe if I started doing mods to the tractor... hmmmmm, anybody ever drilled out the baffles on a Simplicity Broadmoor? ;)

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Maybe if I started doing mods to the tractor... hmmmmm, anybody ever drilled out the baffles on a Simplicity Broadmoor? ;)
I have a 20" drag pipe on my 12hp massey ..... does that count?

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,723 Posts
right a round thanksgiving it started.....first rain then slush then snow then back to rain. it just got nice again yesterday. on the drive home yaeterday I saw a bike at the bar. the wife said she saw a few riders out. today we have snow again! but this weekend they say it's going to be around fouty! I will be out tomorrow and Sunday!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts