Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Winter Layup

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  OleDirtyDoc 
#1 ·
Hello I am located In Pa. I have two vn750 1989 and a 1995. I have been watching and reading all the forums for several years.

I have a question about a winter lay up. I was going to remove all 4 spark plug And squirt some deep creep into the cylinders and then crank engine If I do this am I in any danger of loosening any carbon into the cylinders that could cause me any issues. I always use sea foam in the tank. In the past I have not done this that is why I am asking.

Thank you

#2 ·
If you run regular grade gas and treat with seafoam, there may not be much carbon in there. The deep creep shouldn't hurt, loose carbon gets blown out fairly easy and the valve springs are stout enough to crunch up bits if they get stuck there, that oil should help loosen any stubborn deposits if they exist. Not a bad plan, much like fogging a boat motor.

V-twin lawnmower engines are a different story, those valve springs are very weak.

#3 ·
Winter layup

Thank you for your answer. Much appreciated:smile2:

#6 ·
You're welcome.

Ethanol just plain sucks as fuel.

Have had to strip the carb on my chain saw and wipe the goo off the diaphragm every time I use it.

Stabil works to prevent goo, but I never seem to have it in the saw. I'm thinking seafoam does the same. People have claimed 2-stroke oil works the same as Stabil, but I'm doubting that theory. My boat motor, 2-stroke, always needed the carbs cleaned if I didn't have Stabil in the fuel for winter storage.

That carb looks like it's full of cottage cheese!

#4 ·
If you have ethanol gas where you live, I highly recommend completely draining the tank and coating it with oil. Flush out the petcock with Seafoam, and drain the carbs and fill them up with Seafoam. My carbs worked perfectly after sitting for almost a year. I kept them filled with Seafoam. I have seen carbs that looked like this after sitting for a few months with ethanol in them.

#5 ·
Stabul fuel additive works well if your not storing more than a year.marine grade,the blue not the red

#7 ·
Interesting that "Buddy" has been a member since November of 2007 and yet only had six postings of which two were under this recent thread. "Buddy" has had at least two VN 750's in that eight year period of time and now has a concern about winter storage? Not trying to sound nasty but I say continue doing what you have been doing unless you have had problems that you haven't told us about in the past. Good luck.

#10 · (Edited)
Fair question I have been a member of the vn750 forums as well as vroc . There were many changes on the vn750 forum and not many people are posting there. I generally ride during the winter enough to keep bikes running. I am now 70 years old and riding in the winter is no longer an option for me. As I said I have always used seafoam in every tank when I fill up. I regularly change oil and filter and clean air filters every year of 2000 miles which ever come first. I know our bikes are fussy when it comes to carbs but since I have maintained them for all these years never had a reason to lay up for winter. In some past years when I did not ride say from December to March. Bikes always started . I maintain batteries on tenders. I do look at the forums and when I can contribute I will do so. I did introduce myself when I first posed this thread and I do appreciate all of the answers. I have enclosed two pics of my rides. I have the bikes stored in a heated garage and to be honest I really never have had any real issues. I have done all of the recommended mods relocate regulator I use shorai batteries in both [ iron phosphate ] I have done all the spline lubes differential fluid change brake flush and brake pads and tires when needed. I have a lot of accessories on both bikes including back up camera with monitor on windshield [ the camera and monitors are on all the time and I use it as well as my mirrors when ever I ride. I have hard saddle bags from ebay quite nice for the price 69.00 a set I pretty much have same equipment on both bikes. I have gone over all of the wire harness and used dielectric grease through out including getting rid of the butt connectors for the 3 yellow stator wires. I have
iridium plugs and I am always looking for any wear and tare on any of my bikes systems.

Buddy

Attachments

#11 ·
test to see if i can post now

#12 ·
posting to thread as advised by moderators

#13 ·
posting again per moderator instructions

#14 ·
posting again per moderators instructions today

#18 ·
I have been unable to post on any thread and I asked moderator to check my account . There were issues with permissions each time they corrected something they asked e to post in a thread , All of the post never appeared untill they corrected numerious issues . That is why there were these posts. Its strightened out now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.