Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking of my next bike and I really like the Harley fat boys but after looking at the total package, (cost, maintenance etc.....) I've decided I'd really like an older VN 1500 or 1600. Love them big fat bikes! I need new tires on my current ride (86 750 Vulcan) and will be riding it all this summer and maybe parts of the next summer but right now I've got my heart set on one of the 1500 or 1600. Any ohter suggestions since I've got about two more months of dreaming the way the weather is going?

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Been thinking of my next bike and I really like the Harley fat boys but after looking at the total package, (cost, maintenance etc.....) I've decided I'd really like an older VN 1500 or 1600. Love them big fat bikes! I need new tires on my current ride (86 750 Vulcan) and will be riding it all this summer and maybe parts of the next summer but right now I've got my heart set on one of the 1500 or 1600. Any ohter suggestions since I've got about two more months of dreaming the way the weather is going?
Either the 1500 or 1600 are great bikes. The Nomad is great, too. I'd look for a 1500 with fuel injection, though if you're going with the 1500. My 1600 has EFI, and I love it. It starts easily every time, even in 10 degree weather. The 1500 and 1600 aren't all that much different bikes (except for the early 1500's which were the big daddy of the VN750). The 1600 was a newly designed engine, and is actually 1552 cc, but it's over 1550 cc so they call it a 1600.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
What...??? Then you'll have to change your user name, NewBikeOlderRider ...lol...
What Ksmnet said, good bikes, a bit oversize for me but thats a personal thing...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I have a 1500 Classic now and love the bike as said before get a fuel injected one if you can and definitley get later than a 2000 model because before that they had a plastic gear on the oil pump,the later ones are steel.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yes, you can't go wrong. You can get two or three early 2000's 1500/1600's for the price of a Fat Boy. FI is nice, but my 1500 is carbed and it runs great. I even like the late 90's BUBF. Probably because they are really just larger 750s.

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Could you be more specific? Kawi makes 4 different 1500 models, the Drifter, the Nomad, the Classic, and the Mean Streak. What type of bike are you looking for? Tourer, muscle cruiser, classic?

I have an '02 Meanie and love it rotten - it's a 1500. Of course I love the looks, the power, the riding position, etc. but what I love far more than anything else is the performance handling. You push it to the limit and it smiles at you. Put it this way, I've ridden it to the apex of my riding skill and she had way more to give.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hmm whats wrong with the 1700's? I bought my 09 Nomad last year in March and love it. First untitled vehicle I ever bought and with it being a last year modle (when I bought it) the stealership was knocking 3k off them to make room for new models.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I like the style of the classic and the meanstreak. I guess you could say I am looking for a muscle cruiser. I like em fat which is why I do like the styling of the fat boy. From what I've heard I think FI is the way to go. Price obviously is a big factor. Why by a harley to have the maintenance headaches after paying three times the price. Plus I was never into having the image thing. Abercrombie and Fitch just doesn't get it (what I mean by that is I ain't buying something just for the name). Just can't figure it. I love my 750 and put 4k miles on it this past summer and plan on doing more this summer. I need new tires and hope to get that done as soon as it warms up a bit. It was -3 this morning and that just doesn't entice me to get in the garage just yet.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Judges Oil Gear- Replacement for Plastic Oil Gear

I have a 1500 Classic now and love the bike as said before get a fuel injected one if you can and definitley get later than a 2000 model because before that they had a plastic gear on the oil pump,the later ones are steel.
There used to be a replacement oil gear for the OEM Plastic Oil Gear (POG), that did not require spliting the engine case to install it. It was made by a guy named Judge over on the Kawasaki Vulcan Riders Forum, and was called Judges Oil Gear (JOG).

Here is a link to a thread I just started over there to see if the JOG is still available for the pre 2000 Vulcans, if you are interested in one of the old bikes.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/kawvulcan/messages/?msg=101203.1

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
There used to be a replacement oil gear for the OEM Plastic Oil Gear (POG), that did not require spliting the engine case to install it. It was made by a guy named Judge over on the Kawasaki Vulcan Riders Forum, and was called Judges Oil Gear (JOG).

Here is a link to a thread I just started over there to see if the JOG is still available for the pre 2000 Vulcans, if you are interested in one of the old bikes.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/kawvulcan/messages/?msg=101203.1
Yeah,there is a replacement steel gear,Gordon,I saw it on Gadget's fixit page.It was the Judges gear but it did require some welding.And as for carbed vs injected,I like the injected's easy starting and 5 gallon tank,but I don't like having to run premium fuel .Here is a link to Gadgets page it will give you a pretty complete rundown on what to look for and what to watch out for.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Hmm whats wrong with the 1700's?
Nothing wrong with the 1700's BJ. They're upgraded versions of the 1500/1600's, since they're not made any more. Heck, I'd love for my next bike to be a VN2K, ore maybe even a Vaquero, but those aren't in the budget just now.
Well, I like the style of the classic and the meanstreak. I guess you could say I am looking for a muscle cruiser. I like em fat which is why I do like the styling of the fat boy.
OBNR, if you like the looks of the Fat Boy, then a Classic is definitely more the style. And I'm thinking Joem might have meant you can get one for 1/2 the price of the Fat Boy. LP, nothing against the Meanie, because it's a great bike, but it's more a fast sport cruiser. Wouldn't you agree. The Classics are made for longer rides.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah,there is a replacement steel gear,Gordon,I saw it on Gadget's fixit page.It was the Judges gear but it did require some welding.And as for carbed vs injected,I like the injected's easy starting and 5 gallon tank,but I don't like having to run premium fuel .Here is a link to Gadgets page it will give you a pretty complete rundown on what to look for and what to watch out for.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm
Nice link.! This is great stuff! Still dreaming but it gives me something to look forward too! Thanks for the post and info!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts