Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who are in colder climates at this time of year, I was hoping you could share your experience with riding gear. I'll be riding back and forth to work approx an hour away and while I have the necessary gear for safe riding from the waist up plus boots I don't have anything for warmth for the ride. My hope is there's a coverall I can throw on which solves the problem but you may have a better solution. All of you know too well an almost solution can drive you crazy on a cold day.

I dread arriving at work and having to change out of thermal underwear since I work indoors. Thanks:smiley_th

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I wear Carhart insulated bib overalls under a pair of wind proof pants. For feet, just a pair of wool socks and a pair of Gor-Tex Boots keeps my feet quite toasty.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I tend to use layers...but it also depends on if you have a good windshield the deflect the wind. I have the Plexistar II so it also shields my hands from wind.

The key for me is keeping my face, neck, hands, and feet from getting too cold. Your core should be able to circulate the warmth to the extremities.

If it is damp or rainy/snowing, I have a rain suit I throw on over all my layers to act as a windbreak and keep you dry.

As far as what type and brand...totally subjective as we all have different tastes and needs. I recommend using good gloves, neck bib, and layers that allow air pocket close to your core to trap warmth....with an outer layer as a wind break and dry shield.
I personally use ski pants on the really cold days to keep the legs and ankles warm...along with a roper style boot that is waterproof.

·
100% Black & White
136 Posts
I used to have a pair of electrically heated inner gloves for the winter. I found that if my hands were warm, the rest of me felt warmer too.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You cannot beat wool socks!
:lockd:

I wear Carhart insulated bib overalls under a pair of wind proof pants. For feet, just a pair of wool socks and a pair of Gor-Tex Boots keeps my feet quite toasty.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I use layers (shirt->hoodie->heavy leather jacket) and a good scarf. Full face helmet and thinsulate gloves. Legs never get cold so just jeans. Thats what works for me.

·
Frey
105 Posts
I use chaps, gloves, head wrap, and regular boots. However I am in AR so cold here is ever only 32 to 35 in the winter.

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
There's been several threads on this. Here's one I started awhile back:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16286&highlight=Cold+weather+riding

When is real cold the hardest parts to keep warm are the face,hands and feet.

Heated gloves, and even heated socks help a lot. A large windscreen is the way to go also. A full face helmet that seals well with something like the Pinlock visor to avoid fogging can help a lot too.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
My hope is there's a coverall I can throw on which solves the problem
I have a pair of insulated Carhart coveralls....they ain cheap, but warm, easy to remove, and water resistant...I have a detachable hood for em too (when not riding).

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=32199&langId=-1

I team that with a pair of camo Thinsulate hunting boots, Thinsulate gloves, Thinsulate half mask with neck piece, fleece lined helmet liner for my halfshell, and my usual "gomer goggles"....

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
i think my helmet is gonna kill me this winter it is fogging on cool nights already and today when i took my girl to work at 1:30pm there was a definite chill in the air

if the weather here is any indication of the winter to come i do feel sorry for y'all guys in the north east

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...easy....internal antifreeze....lol... ;)

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
...easy....internal antifreeze....lol... ;)
now wolfie you aint refering to that old white lightning cause as much as it will warm your core it does have a tendency to make your vision go a bit swirly

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
Well having the right gear can make a cold weather ride go from being miserable to delightfull. Last year at this time I rode the 45 miles to work and saw the temp was 36 degrees that morning. I was never "cold".... But my cheeks were abit cool to the touch when I got there but that's about it. My feet felt a little chilled but were not uncomfortable.

I would think if I had to ride another 45 minutes things might have begun to feel colder. Some folks handle the cold differently too...I know just adding a wool scarf around my neck made a huge diffrence.

To answer the question, they do make insulated over-suits that are motorcycle specfic. I think Firstgear or Fieldsheer makes a one piece suit that's simular to those snowmobile suits but cut for bike riders.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Well having the right gear can make a cold weather ride go from being miserable to delightfull. Last year at this time I rode the 45 miles to work and saw the temp was 36 degrees that morning. I was never "cold".... But my cheeks were abit cool to the touch when I got there but that's about it. My feet felt a little chilled but were not uncomfortable.

I would think if I had to ride another 45 minutes things might have begun to feel colder. Some folks handle the cold differently too...I know just adding a wool scarf around my neck made a huge diffrence.

To answer the question, they do make insulated over-suits that are motorcycle specfic. I think Firstgear or Fieldsheer makes a one piece suit that's simular to those snowmobile suits but cut for bike riders.
how much you figure one of those run?

·
2,521 Posts
Well I took the twin out for a 40 mile ride today and it was a bit cold out. The thing I notice the most was the wind hitting my chest due to not having a windscreen on it. My tourmaster jacket really keeps the wind and cold out, you might want to invest in heated gloves.

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
how much you figure one of those run?
Looks like about $170.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001A3CS0G

This ones $90

http://m.motorcycle-superstore.com/ItemPage.aspx?DivisionGroupId=14&DivisionId=67&DepartmentId=910&ItemStyleId=21302

Same one for 70:
http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/nelsonrigg-arctic-1piece-insulated-suit

Shop around .....

(You should still wear your armor under these as they do not fair well in a crash)

But....if you want the best:

http://www.aerostich.com/roadcrafter-one-piece-suit.html

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
thanks man :beerchug: i usually wear my vest over my rain suit to keep it from flopping in the wind as much plus the rain suit has no pockets

·
Registered
56 Posts
Carthart Arctic lined (black ones) coveralls. Now, you can get wet if rain happens, so wear this only on non rainy days. For boots Sidi.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
To semi-waterproof a canvas-like fabric (like Carharts), all ya need is a can of spray starch...give it 3 LIGHT coats (dry in between), so it gets a chance to permeate. After a season ya gotta hit it again (or use the $$$ Scotchgard)...

now wolfie you aint refering to that old white lightning cause as much as it will warm your core it does have a tendency to make your vision go a bit swirly
Of course not...nope (besides, alcohol dehydrates, and will cause you eventually to feel colder), I mean a thermos of hot camomile and rose hip tea...my old hunting buddy used to bring spearmint tea, with hot pepper oil in it...believe it or not, once you sugar the tea, you can barely taste the hotsauce until it hits inside...

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
For those of you who are in colder climates at this time of year, I was hoping you could share your experience with riding gear. I'll be riding back and forth to work approx an hour away and while I have the necessary gear for safe riding from the waist up plus boots I don't have anything for warmth for the ride. My hope is there's a coverall I can throw on which solves the problem but you may have a better solution. All of you know too well an almost solution can drive you crazy on a cold day.

I dread arriving at work and having to change out of thermal underwear since I work indoors. Thanks:smiley_th
Why? Just curious because I do it every day I ride to work in Fall or Winter. There's a men's room at your work right?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts