Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So being a novice on a bike i have noticed that with no windshield there is quite a bit of resistance on me and at highway speeds i really have to hold on tight. So who rides in the summer with winshields and is it unbearably hot?

Im looking at a pretty small windshield, a slipstream spitfire sport... Any feedback wouod be much appreciated

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
So being a novice on a bike i have noticed that with no windshield there is quite a bit of resistance on me and at highway speeds i really have to hold on tight. So who rides in the summer with winshields and is it unbearably hot?

Im looking at a pretty small windshield, a slipstream spitfire sport... Any feedback wouod be much appreciated
I ride with one on almost all the time.

I'm in "Hotlanta" (Atlanta). :) I prefer the bugs going splat on the windshield instead of me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I rode for about 3 months (Summer) a few years ago, and it is cooler, but if you are riding highway speeds or long distances it can really add to your fatigue, so I now ride year round with a shield. Even with the shield I am comfortable in the Summer as long as I am moving, and when you are stopped in traffic, it doesn't make any difference one way or the other. As someone else pointed out, the bugs, especially at night in farm country can be really bad, so the shield is the way I prefer over all.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I dont have a windshield on my bikes. If it's going to be a long highway trip I wear a full helmet. Otherwise I enjoy the bugs in my teeth!

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Have a shield for my bike but took it off the first week. I just like the looks without it. I have also acquired a taste for a nice juicy junebug.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input guys, prolly going to put a few more miles on the bike then make the decision

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I haven't taken mine off yet cause of the high bug volume we have here . I'm 10 mile from the Tennesee river and the bugs haven't let up yet. I bought the Kawasaki V-Force shield. It is short so your not looking through the shield, your looking over it and still getting air but it does reflect the bugs well at the same time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't taken mine off yet cause of the high bug volume we have here . I'm 10 mile from the Tennesee river and the bugs haven't let up yet. I bought the Kawasaki V-Force shield. It is short so your not looking through the shield, your looking over it and still getting air but it does reflect the bugs well at the same time.
u wouldnt know the dimensions of that would u

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have a National Cycle's (NC) Deflector (about 14" tall) and think that it is a good mix or protection without feeling like a true windshield, for riders 5'10" and under (see signature picture). However, I would recommend something bigger if you ride a lot highway miles (I don't). On the highway I feel can a good bit of buffeting along the top of the helmet, but there is little wind pressure on my body. Quite tolerable for short highway runs. On back roads it is short and small enough to almost feel invisible, while still provides some bug, debris and wind protection. NC windshields also remove in seconds. The deflector option is not best in class for any one area (highway, bugs, wind protection, etc.), but it provides just a enough protection and style (IMHO) for mixed riding.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
i use mine year round

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Pretty much stays on year round.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
I have the spitfire on mine for pretty much the same reason, getting blasted in the chest at highway speeds. I keep it tilted back and look over it, get the wind in the face but not hit in the chest with a board. Works well.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
And mayflies off lake erie @ 70 mph sting .....
.....a lot, so again the shield stays up year round

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I always had a sheld of some sort. realy helps on long rides with the exaution. That is 200 mile or longer trips can realy wear on you.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The V-Force is the factory shield for this bike. Measures 14 1/2 inches from top edge to top of headlight which it fits snuggly around and 15 3/4 wide at the widest width. The National is right at the same height. The V-force is a little more curved shape, I'm thinking. And it don't have quick release mounting so it want come off fast if you want to remove it for a day. But it sure looks good.:beerchug: I personally don't care for a large shield at any time on a bike. I get that enough riding in my jeep to work and back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts