Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I just installed my PF III yesterday, and took my first ride with it today. I love it. I'm only 5'9, so I'll eventually need to crop it a few inches. But right now I'm learning to ride, just driving at low speeds around the neighborhoods.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just ordered the 18" Street Shield EX through JC Whitney... $99.99 with free shipping today and no sales tax! Hopefully that will do the trick and if so, I will be offering up a barely used v-force for sale next week.
Installed the Street Shield EX today (see my post "National Cycle Street Shield EX from JCW" about ordering/mounting in the equipment forum). I think it did the trick. Took a short test ride up to 45 mph with the half helmet and experienced very little wind whistling through the straps. I can easily see over the shield and received just the right amount of breeze to the helmet vent and body. Just need a night test ride to see if there's a glare issue. Shouldn't be since it sits above and slightly back of the headlight and turn signals.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Just need a night test ride to see if there's a glare issue. Shouldn't be since it sits above and slightly back of the headlight and turn signals.
You might still get some glare from the gauges and/or signal indicators.
I do with my Plexy III, but have gotten used to it.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
You do know that many cut their shields down so they can see over them don't you?
I had a Plexistar II that was cut down 3-4 inches...worked out great.

KM
I must be an odd-duck here. I prefer seeing through the windshield rather than over it. My whole purpose for the shield is to block the wind - that includes my entire head. I have no problems seeing through it at night, in the rain or whatever. I wash it down periodically with warm soapy water, then put a film of furniture polish on it afterwards. Works great!

My wife has a little 50cc scooter, and the first thing I did was to order a windshield for it. It does not come up as high on her, so she has to look over it. She would much prefer if it WAS 3-4 inches higher, but it was the only thing we could find.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
..I must be an odd-duck here. I prefer seeing through the windshield rather than over it....

Not odd at all..I looked through mine. What I meant was cutting it down so you COULD look over it...if you have to.

And even with a nice coat of polish on it, you can still have the shield obstruct your view in some circumstances. (Fog seems to be a good one around here...the shield mists up and looks like frosted glass) Rain at night can be a bitch too...

Mine was cut so that if I sat straight up and stretched my head up..I could see over the shield. 99.99 percent of the time I looked through it however.

So for safety's sake, your windscreen should allow you to peer over if needed.

KM

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
So what's the difference between the V-Shield and the National Cycle "Deflector Shield"? From the pics they look the same.

R

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Not odd at all..I looked through mine. What I meant was cutting it down so you COULD look over it...if you have to.

And even with a nice coat of polish on it, you can still have the shield obstruct your view in some circumstances. (Fog seems to be a good one around here...the shield mists up and looks like frosted glass) Rain at night can be a bitch too...

Mine was cut so that if I sat straight up and stretched my head up..I could see over the shield. 99.99 percent of the time I looked through it however.

So for safety's sake, your windscreen should allow you to peer over if needed.

KM
Well, if that's what you are talking about, then I can see over mine if I have to. I've never had a need to, but I'll see when it starts getting foggy here - which will be very soon in the mornings on my way to work.

·
Registered
73 Posts
So what's the difference between the V-Shield and the National Cycle "Deflector Shield"? From the pics they look the same.

R
They are similar in size. The V-Shield is a Kawasaki product made specifically for Vulcans. It has the etched winged-V symbol (actually a decal on the back face). The V-shield mounts to the handlebars AND to the headlight bolts on a vn750. Not sure if the NC Deflector has lower mounts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
customize cruising

I purchased a windshield from customize cruising but try to get status of your order online Good luck.Checking online it said could be on order could be back ordered or in a warehouse.Take your pick.Tried to call customer service but was on hold for 45 minutes and gave up.Ordered it a week ago and still no status avail on my order.Dont think ill be ordering from them again:mad:

21 - 29 of 29 Posts