Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy help me out here,just got a 1995 vulcan 750 and was going to put on a windshield but I have heard conflicting opinions about how it affects the handling.Could you guys weigh in from experience.Thank much

·
Registered
802 Posts
The Honda I had before my Vulcan didn't have a windshield. Ok for riding around town, but on the highway, I'll take the windshield. In the 3 weeks I've had the bike, I've got 3 new spider cracks in it. While that kinda sucks, I figure if those rocks hit hard enough to do that, how would have that felt without it?

My parents had a few Goldwings that they rode all over North America. They got more chips while riding in Texas than any of the other places combined.

If you get a flat windshield, they tend to feel the wind from the side (gusts, truck passing) than the curved ones.

·
Registered
802 Posts
And welcome to the forums dman. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ride with either a half or no helmut, so a windshield is a must for me. i have noticed no affects to teh handeling but have noticced less bugs and what not on my shirt. its a prefernce thing, they do take a little timeto get used to when you haven't had one before or in a while.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
I have a small windshield that covers my chest, and when it rains I can duck behind it to keep the rain off my face. I wouldn't mind a larger windshield that protects my face while riding normally upright, but I love the feel of the wind on my face. My windshield hasn't pulled or dragged me even when passing large trucks or going up on windy overpasses. It does seem to make highway driving smoother as I don't feel the full rush of the wind on my chest.

Also, check out this thread for more input.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

Thanks, I was leaning toward one of the curved windshields.Thanks for the replys

·
Super Moderator
11,972 Posts
Anything you add to your bike can "effect handling"..the key is adapting to it. Riding with a passenger effects handling much more than a windscreen. If they were such bad things they would not be selling so many of them. Gold wings have huge fairings , bags , and tall shields, but seem to ride just fine....

I will never own a bike without a windscreen of some sort...

KM

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
In my experience, windshields affect handling in a positive way. By deflecting wind from my chest I don't feel like I'm holding on to the handlebars just to keep from getting blown off.

At the same time I don't care for high windshields. I don't want to be looking through it like a car windshield, I want one that goes about chest high as a deflector, where I look over the top but can tuck down behind it if there's a draft. Ideally, the top of the shield comes up to just under my chin. Looking through a rain-streaked plexiglass shield is no fun, especially when it has no wipers; and even more true for night riding if it's at all tinted.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I like my National cycle street shield EX.. if you are shorter that 5'11", go for a shorter shield though... I m 5'11" and it's just about right... still a tad too small unless I sit up real straight...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also just got a National Cycle Street Shield EX, switched over from a V Force shield put on by PO. The V Force was okay with a full face helmet, but I like to wear my half helmet and the wind would hit my helmet just right and rattle my head making it hard to see at interstate speeds no matter what position I put it so I went with the taller natioanl cycle shield and so far like it. Bought it from CruiserCustomizing.com.

http://cruisercustomizing.com/detai..._______in__Handlebars_for_Kawasaki_Vulcan_750

·
Registered
73 Posts
I also just got a National Cycle Street Shield EX, switched over from a V Force shield put on by PO. The V Force was okay with a full face helmet, but I like to wear my half helmet and the wind would hit my helmet just right and rattle my head making it hard to see at interstate speeds no matter what position I put it so I went with the taller natioanl cycle shield and so far like it. Bought it from CruiserCustomizing.com.
I just put a v-force on my bike yesterday and can already tell that my half helmet won't work with it. So the street shield ex did the trick? The retailer lists it as 18H and 19W... is the 18, 18" above the headlight or 18 top to bottom edge? I can see that the 19 width is greater than the v-force, but if it's 18 overall, that seems to match my v-force height.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The retailer lists it as 18H and 19W... is the 18, 18" above the headlight or 18 top to bottom edge?
Just answered my own question... from the FAQ on National Cycle "All the windshields in our catalogue and on our web site list the mounted height (distance from the headlight cutout to the top of the screen) and the width."

That means the street shield EX would add about 3" to the height I currently have in the v-force. That would be great if it lets me use my half helmet again.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a Plexifairing III. I wouldn't go anywhere without it. At high speeds, from 60 to 85 or so, the bike is rock solid when on a road without other vehicles.
When I get on I-5 and there's lots of traffic all around me, which is the norm for I-5 in this neck of the woods, the bike tends to wiggle more than I prefer.
The disrupted airflow caused by 18-wheelers and such can play a small bit of havoc when you have a "sail" on the front. But the bike might also do that wiggle anyway since the weight of the bike plus me is only around 730 pounds or so.
There's no doubt in my mind is that life with a windshield is better than life without one.
Fatigue will get to the strongest biker ever born eventually. Let the windshield fight the wind and bugs.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I went from a 18" windshield to a PF III and it makes the world of difference. No more wind beating you and I think handling is improved because you can concentrate on the road. I bought mine on Ebay just to try, figuring it would resell. This is the first bike I've ever had a WS on but I can guarantee it won't be the last!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey, Scooter
What brand of windshield do you have? It looks about the height I would think I would need, but sometimes pix play tricks... LOL!

I used to have a Silhouette Fairing (fancy word for long windshield) on a Honda CX-500 I used to ride and NO wind got past that thing! Would almost burn ya up to ride it very far in the summer! I don't feel like I need QUITE that much shield. I'm enjoying the wind a bit now to just cruise up and down the boulevard, but on the interstate, it's almost enough to tear ya out of the saddle, especially when a big truck goes whizzing by!

So, you like yours ok?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I like the National Cycle shield because it gives good protection, more then V-force did yet not as big as the PF III as I do like some wind, but also like to have some protection on the highways. Fits the bill perfectly and won't break the bank, relatively cheap compared to most windshields.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had a Plexi II on there and could not get it adjusted to a comfortable position and hated looking through it at night. Replaced it with a v-force and suddenly found out just how much air the plexi was blocking. I really like the look of the v-force, especially with the etched Vulcan symbol, but I think I need something in between.

Just ordered the 18" Street Shield EX through JC Whitney... $99.99 with free shipping today and no sales tax! Hopefully that will do the trick and if so, I will be offering up a barely used v-force for sale next week.

·
Super Moderator
11,972 Posts
I had a Plexi II on there and could not get it adjusted to a comfortable position and hated looking through it at night. .

You do know that many cut their shields down so they can see over them don't you?
I had a Plexistar II that was cut down 3-4 inches...worked out great.

KM

·
Registered
73 Posts
You do know that many cut their shields down so they can see over them don't you?
I had a Plexistar II that was cut down 3-4 inches...worked out great.

KM
I do know that and it's a great suggestion. I should have mentioned that the Plexi II was installed by the PO and he managed to put some big unattractive scratches on it (not in the field of view fortunately). The scratches put it on my "to be replaced" list even if I had liked the setup.

I didn't want to step up to the larger Plexi III, and there are very few sellers with Plexi II's, so I've been searching for something new that won't need to be cut down right away.

I managed to lower and tilt the Plexi II enough that I could look over it (I'm just over 6' tall) but with reflection/glare I lost nighttime visibility on the closest section of the road... leading to some spine jarring manhole cover encounters.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts