Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new Plexistar 2 on my '92, and am considering trimming the top an inch or so.
I'm going to wait until I ride more with it until deciding on a trim; so far only 1 ride with it.
If I sit tall on the seat, I can see the ground 50' feet in front of the bike, but when riding I seem to always be looking through the top of the windshield.
How difficult is it to trim a windshield? It is made of High Impact Acrylic.
I'm 6'1", 34" inseam.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, not sure why my searching didn't find the above thread. It looks fairly simple as long as I take my time.
Measure twice, cut once!

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
My search didn't find it. I remembered slimvulcanrider was the author of the post I remembered and pulled up all his posts. Was about page 18 before I found it.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I did my windshield as above ,but I made a template out of cardboard of the top curve and moved it down to where I wanted,to keep close to the original contour and marked the cut on masking tape already applied to the windshield with a sharpie .I used a very fine metal blade in a jig saw to make the initial cut and finished it with the file and sanding blocks.

The finished edge from the factory is rougher than the part that was cut.It is fairly simple and worth your time.I would recommend covering the entire bike with an old bedsheet before you start, it makes cleanup a bunch easier.:smiley_th

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was amazingly simple, thanks to all the great advice.

I put masking tape on the front and back, marked 1.5" down from the top, using a template of the original shape.
Then with a fine tooth blade on a jigsaw, cut the windshield. The bike was on the center stand with someone sitting on it, holding the windshield steady.
A little bit of 120 grit sandpaper on a sanding block smoothed the rough edges.
I covered most of the bike with a sheet for easy cleanup.
Hopefully tomorrow I'll ride it and see if I want to remove more.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I would reccomend removing the sheild from the bike instead...:smiley_th
I gave that some thought but came to the conclusion that I could easily scratch the windshield . By leaving it on the bike I had both hands free and didn't have to try to hold it steady since it was bolted to the bike. I did it outdoors and only had to remove the sheet and blow the bike off with an electric leaf blower when finished.

I am glad you are not a barber ;)

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Good advice is something you remember, slim!

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
thanks for the reference.. and glad to see that people are still remembering my advice from time to time...lol
we ain't forgot you ,we just don't hear from you as often.How you been?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The trimming was easy.
Now I'm pondering what to do about the additional noise from the wind. If I crouch down just a little bit the noise almost completely disappears. As I slowly raise my head the noise slowly increases.
Will trimming a little bit more, an inch at a time, lessen the noise by allowing more wind to flow by naturally, rather than concentrating at my helmet?
I do like the windshield height; sitting normal allows me to see over it, to a distance of 50'.

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
The trimming was easy.
Now I'm pondering what to do about the additional noise from the wind. If I crouch down just a little bit the noise almost completely disappears. As I slowly raise my head the noise slowly increases.
Will trimming a little bit more, an inch at a time, lessen the noise by allowing more wind to flow by naturally, rather than concentrating at my helmet?
I do like the windshield height; sitting normal allows me to see over it, to a distance of 50'.
Depends on your helmet.Some helmets are louder with windscreens than others.

Take the windscreen off and go ride and see how loud it is without it. This will likely show how loud it will be if you cut more off.

Many get used to the quiet afforded by a windshield and forget how noisy it was without one. On my bike I can raise or lower the screen with a push of a button ... Lower it goes the louder the wind noise, raise it up so I'm looking through it ... It's pretty quiet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts