Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you all have a windshield on your bike? Obviously, if you have one, I assume you like riding better with it than without it? So what brand do most of you have? I'm trying to decide if I want to get one or not. I think I like the look of the SpitFire one that's available on Ebay, but not sure if I will like how it looks on the bike. One of the things I've always liked about the Vulcan is that it looks very good in a stock configuration. Just can't decide whether to get one or not.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
I had a Plexifairing III from National Cycle. It fits well, and does a great job of blocking the wind to your hands and legs as well. For colder temps it's a must. It's also very easy to remove if you want to take it of in warmer temps.

My wife's first bike was a Honda Shadow VLX600 Deluxe with a Spitfire type windshield. Might as well not have anything with that one. It didn't even keep bugs off me. We got her a PFIII for that bike as well.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Here's another vote for the Plexy III. But I don't use it all the time. Mostly for longer rides or colder/wet weather rides.

·
Registered
796 Posts
The smaller sized windshield I got for my bike several years ago, looks like the Memphis shades with the chrome but I can't remember the name. I also can't seem to find it on ebay either. It can be removed very easily with an allen wrench. Anyways I use mine in the spring because of sand and bugs, then remove it during the summer and then back on in the fall when the temps get below 50. You should get one. At first I was like you and didn't like the look but the comfort gets rid of that thought on the first ride.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I do not know what make mine is, but it is a *tombstone* shape similar to the one on LULU in the picture in Lurch Chaos`s sigline.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3542

Mine is 24" tall overall, 17 inches above the headlight cutout.
18.5-19" wide in the area between the headlight and the horizontal chrome strap.
11" of shield above the horizontal strap.
Headlight cutout is 7" high by ~9" wide near the bottom.

I took a Honda 750 w/o a windshield for a test ride 3 years ago when shopping for a bike.
I hated the wind buffeting.
I like this big one of mine on the vn even in nice weather. I also like the old school style of it.

If I had to replace it, I would probably go with the PL3 and the increased hand protection from wind blast, as we have a lot more cooler riding days than many other areas.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In the summer, it's the Slipstreamer HD-3 TOMBSTONE. Just enough to brake some of the wind on my 20+ mile ride to work each day. But when the winter starts to bite, like last night, it's time for the $25 craigslist Slipstreamer S-08 SPORTS SHIELD. Ugly, but effective. Just wish my mitts would get delivered.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
I see you live in California. My thinking here is something like the Plexifairing 3 might be more than you really need.

If you see very little cold weather, a midsize to small shield is the way to go. I had a Memphis shades "Hellcat" and although small, it looked good on the bike and did help.( It was offered with a black gradiant tint, which looked good on my black and grey '02)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/1489997599/in/set-72157602271287132/

I then put on a National Cycle Plexistar 2, which is simular to the PF3 , but lacks the "lowers" ...and I cut it down about 4 inches.

Side by side photo here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/1490861142/in/set-72157602271287132/

I really did like the larger one, and today I would have to say I will not own a bike that does not have a decent sized windscreen. This of course can be a matter of preference, but if you plan on going more than 100 miles on your bike, a good windscreen is gold.

KM

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts

kinda can see it in this pick

dont know the brand or what not its great for me i can feel just a little wind on the top of my head . great since it has been getting colder out (30's or lower).

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
I have a Plexifairing III. I use it year round. A windscreen makes for a less fatiguing ride.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a Maier smoked windshield. I would trade it for the world. I ride everyday, adn I wear a Half Helmet. I dont think I will ever go without one again. Evertime I see a bug squash on it or a rock hit it, I just laugh.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have a Maier smoked windshield. I would trade it for the world. I ride everyday, adn I wear a Half Helmet. I dont think I will ever go without one again. Evertime I see a bug squash on it or a rock hit it, I just laugh.
I'm with you on that one. In the spring the sand from the winter months feels like being sandblasted in the face and there are millions of bugs until it gets into the warmer summer months. I could take a 10 mile ride and would have to stop and clean the windshield because the dead bugs are covering it. Usually after June the windshield comes off because the sand is gone from the roads and the bugs have died down especially June bugs. Those things hurt!

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Even though I have a windshield on my VN1600, I have gone to wearing goggles that fit over my glasses. I've gone too many days where trucks have kicked up sand and tiny pebbles into my face. I've gotten some in my eyes more than once. The goggles have eliminated that. Of course, my windshield is about 3" lower than I would like it to be. I prefer to look through the windshield rather than over it. That's what I loved about the PFIII. I could wear a baseball cap with the visor in front, and not lose it while riding. And the hand protection was amazing. I know some people have said they didn't get that much hand protection from theirs, but I certainly did with mine.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
. I could wear a baseball cap with the visor in front, and not lose it while riding. .
Am hoping you are wearing at least some kind of helmet there however....

Watched an episode of the Mythbusters yesterday where they showed how much force a bug hitting you can have at speed. The idea of a bug or even a tossed up stone from a truck hitting the top of my head is not a pleasent one. (much less hitting me in the eye)

Wear you baseball hat under your helmet , alright ?

KM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts