Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about a windshield for the VN750. I see many to choose from, both OEM and aftermarket but can't really tell which will work best. Looking to reduce the feeling that I am being pulled off the bike at highway speeds. Any first hand experience would be welcome. Thanks.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
I have been thinking about a windshield for the VN750. I see many to choose from, both OEM andaftermarket but can't really tell which will work best. Looking to reduce the feeling that I am being pulled off the bike at highway speeds. Any first hand experience would be welcome. Thanks.

IMO the Plexistar 2 or the Plexifairing 3 is the way to go. No wind from your helmet down and you don't need a safety harness to keep you on the scoot. Plus they have built in hand guards for those cool rides.:smiley_th

LINK plexifairing 3

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/nresults2.html?search_model=ka-046

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
I have been thinking about a windshield for the VN750. I see many to choose from, both OEM and aftermarket but can't really tell which will work best. Looking to reduce the feeling that I am being pulled off the bike at highway speeds. Any first hand experience would be welcome. Thanks.
Here is a great deal on a plexistar 2. The Plexistar is the same as the plexifairing 3 but without the lower shield. :beerchug:

Plexistar 2
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?Category_ID=37&manufacturer_ID=48&product_ID=5006&model_ID=44

Plexistar on my VN700

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I would recommend staying away from some of the smaller shields, like the Slipstream Spitfire, unless you are short or don't mind helmet buffeting. I haven't gotten one yet, but will probably get the plexifairing 3 since it is high enough to push most, if not all of the wind over your helmet and also keeps some wind off the legs and hands.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great deal indeed. Does it include all mounting hardware? Also, do you look over it or through it? I am 5'10".

·
Registered
721 Posts
if you want one you can put on for long rides, and take off for short rides try the national cycle street shield EX... I like it a lot for the highway, but will take it off for many rides that are warm and <60mph

·
Registered
881 Posts
i like this style best as far as looks go. anyone have one simular?

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have the Plexistar 2 on mine. One day I decided to take it off, and get the "wind in my hair" feeling. (still wore a helmet)

Decided maybe it's too much wind, and not enough hair, so I put it back on.

BTW, I'm 5'10" and the shield is perfect for me.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Great deal indeed. Does it include all mounting hardware? Also, do you look over it or through it? I am 5'10".
It includes all hardware, I am 5'7' I look through you will probably look over. Don't forget that price ends today! :smiley_th

·
Registered
802 Posts
The lower deflectors are really nice when it's cold outside too.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the Street Shield EX and it was easy to install and is good for directing the wind off your body. I am 6' and it could be another 2-3 inches taller and I would still be looking over it when sitting up straight.

If I ever buy another, I would choose the one noted above -plexifairing 3 as it covers more - hands and legs.

It really depends on what your needs are. If you find your hands are getting cold or numb, get a larger one. If hands and legs are not a problem and you just want to keep bugs off, then the smaller ones are fine. You also want to consider if looks or function is more important to you (hopefully you find one that meets both) and if you plan to keep it on year round. It gets hot here, so I plan to take mine off at least for the summer.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Be cautious of ones you get off ebay. I bought one & I'm pretty happy with it. The plastic is alittle thinner than more expensive ones & it seems to bounce alot. I remidied the bounce by making a small bracket to secure the bottom. You don't even see'em.
This pic is of the one I bought but clear.

This is my bike.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Be cautious of ones you get off ebay. I bought one & I'm pretty happy with it. The plastic is alittle thinner than more expensive ones & it seems to bounce alot. I remidied the bounce by making a small bracket to secure the bottom. You don't even see'em.
This pic is of the one I bought but clear.

This is my bike.

I almost bought that one but I found a great used Plexistar 2 local pickup for $40.00. Where are the new lowers you were mankin or is that an old pic?

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I almost bought that one but I found a great used Plexistar 2 local pickup for $40.00. Where are the new lowers you were mankin or is that an old pic?
Yup, that's an old pic.

nice shield kanuck. hows it on the road? i have been debating getting one.
It's fine on the road as long as you secure the bottom or it will bounce off your headlight, very anoying. $2 worth of metal, paint & time vs. $100 savings on a better windshield. Eh, I'm cheep. But it still looks good. Only real complaint is the hardware is not stainless. So drt it after the rain! :)

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Don't know if you have one near you, but I've found lots of good stuff (stainless, aluminum, etc.) for my projects at my local scrap metal dealer. Since I recycle (donate) a lot of stuff there, they know me. If what I want is a small quantity, they usually let me have it for free. Otherwise, they don't charge me much, and I don't have to buy more than I need. For instance, if I went to a pipe yard, they usually don't sell less than one 20' length of pipe-lots more than I need.

Plus, I'm cheap.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Don't know if you have one near you, but I've found lots of good stuff (stainless, aluminum, etc.) for my projects at my local scrap metal dealer. Since I recycle (donate) a lot of stuff there, they know me. If what I want is a small quantity, they usually let me have it for free. Otherwise, they don't charge me much, and I don't have to buy more than I need. For instance, if I went to a pipe yard, they usually don't sell less than one 20' length of pipe-lots more than I need.

Plus, I'm cheap.
I believe kanuck is refering to all the hardware that came with the windshield, and not his modification. :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Thought he was referring to the mod he made to keep it from bouncing off the headlight. Must have misunderstood.

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
I have a Memphis Fats. Nice, classy looking. Doesn't cover the hands though like the P3. Had to relocate the turn signals. Looks pretty much like kanuck's but fatter at the top.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts