Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Windshields for motorcycles are not glass (obviously). As such, do NOT use any type of glass cleaner. Most motorcycle windshields are made of either polycarbonate or Lexan. These are very soft materials and WILL be damaged if you use a regular glass cleaner on them. I didn't know that and my windshield became covered in fine scratches because I made the surface even softer by using glass cleaner. I tried several Lexan /plastic scratch removal products and the result was a barely marginal improvement. Prevention is the operative word here.

Best care: use only water and a clean, soft cotton t-shirt, wiping gently up and down. NOT side to side. Horizontal scratches will show up 10 fold at night in oncoming headlights.

Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.........

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've found over the years that the best protectorant for plastic windshields (polycarbonate or acrylic) is several good coats of quality car wax. I use MeGuiars Yellow wax (pure carnauba) but any good quality car wax should do the job. The wax protects the plastic from sleeks and minor scratches, and seems to prevent pitting from blowing sand, etc. The bugs are lot easier to get off, too. As you say, use only water and a little dish detergent to clean your windshield. Use a clean, well-washed cotton cloth and NEVER use paper towels - instant sleeks (very fine scratches).

If you haven't already, you might want to try waxing your 'shield. The wax will help fill in the sleeks and scratches, making them less noticeable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. After what I did to my first windshield, I'm leary of putting anything to my windshield other than a cotton T shirt rag and water. I may just try your suggestion though at some point.

·
Registered
134 Posts
"Honda Spray Polish and Cleaner"

I use "Honda Spray Polish and Cleaner" on the windshield and the every other part of the bike. The stuff is great and makes cleaning a snap and leaves a coat of UV protectant wax on my scoots!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Re: "Honda Spray Polish and Cleaner"

Yes, the UV protectant is a must - as I learned yesterday! My lucite windshield broke like a potato chip when I was adjusting the clamp. I had no idea that it would get brittle like that. I have no idea how long it was exposed to the open sun before I bought T'Pol, but man, what a pain. You can bet that the new one will have plenty of UV protectant on it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.