Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how are they in the fog and rain, I ride in a lot of fog in the morning and have to wipe my ace shield constantly. how do you wipe a windshield? rain is way better than fog in my opinion tooas far as visibility!

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
No problem with mine, rain just rolls off.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Don't know if it would work with fog, but have read several write ups that waxing the shield helps it shed rain.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
how are they in the fog and rain, I ride in a lot of fog in the morning and have to wipe my ace shield constantly. how do you wipe a windshield? rain is way better than fog in my opinion tooas far as visibility!
I have noticed that my windshield is too tall and cuts down on visibility at night I haven't had to deal with heavy fog or rain yet.
there is an excellent thread on here about cutting down a windshield,Ol Hoss posted this link to an article http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/remove_windshield/index.html
this article is very good about determining the proper height and the reasons why shorter is better than too tall.
Here is a link to the entire thread it Should provide valuable info on cutting down yours and has some good pictures as well http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15494&highlight=windshield+cutting
I hope this helps, I am planning on cutting mine down some since i noticed I am having to stretch a little to see over mine and I have noticed the wind doesn't buffet me as much barely looking over it as it does when looking through it.:smiley_th

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Fog is never fun.

I get a lot of rain and fog in my commute too. Rain x works really well.

DT

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fog is never fun.

I get a lot of rain and fog in my commute too. Rain x works really well.

DT
I love rainx but didnt know about the plastic, I remember a discussion about using it on your face shield.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
When I was commuting in the 80s I used it (Rain-X) regularly on my face shield and liked it very much...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
796 Posts
Pledge and a microfiber rag. The pledge makes it slick but with no wax build up so the rain rolls off and the fog doesn't bother as bad. Fog is bad on any windshield. Course if you could rig up a wiper blade on it would be a GREAT mod! lol It also works great to clean and remove bugs.

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
From what I understand RainX is NOT reccomended for plastic. I do believe there is an alternative product but I can not find the link.

Fog , bascily a "mist", does stick to and make looking through a windscreen kinda impossible. This is the point of making sure the screen you have allows you to see over the top...if need be. ( I do not mind looking through a windscreen, so I position mine so I can see over the top if I sit bolt upright and stretch my back a tad)

I have tried waxes and polishes and many work well in rain, but a fine mist still tends to obscure forward view.

I remember long ago reading about a touring rider that installed not wipers, but a spray nozzle system to dump MORE water onto the windscreen when he got into heavy fog. The "extra" water would run down the screen, effectively washing the fine mist beads off.

Not really had a problem with fog sticking here, but guess it could be a problem in different regions.

KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I read an article last week suggesting wearing sunglasses when driving in rain, as it is easier to see.
I can`t recall the explanation or find the article again.
They obviously will not help with fog or mist on the windshield.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what I understand RainX is NOT reccomended for plastic. I do believe there is an alternative product but I can not find the link.

Fog , bascily a "mist", does stick to and make looking through a windscreen kinda impossible. This is the point of making sure the screen you have allows you to see over the top...if need be. ( I do not mind looking through a windscreen, so I position mine so I can see over the top if I sit bolt upright and stretch my back a tad)

I have tried waxes and polishes and many work well in rain, but a fine mist still tends to obscure forward view.

I remember long ago reading about a touring rider that installed not wipers, but a spray nozzle system to dump MORE water onto the windscreen when he got into heavy fog. The "extra" water would run down the screen, effectively washing the fine mist beads off.

Not really had a problem with fog sticking here, but guess it could be a problem in different regions.

KM
that would probably work and not drain our electrical system like a wiper would.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My Plexi-2 would totally fog up in the right cold weather conditions which pretty much blinded me and rain seemed to be a problem no matter what I used on it. Even in great conditions when the sun was in my face, the glare of every little spider web scratch became so prominant that it hindered my vision. So, after reading a windshield cut down thread, (Denny linked it in this thread) I decided to try it. Man I really like being able to see over the stupid thing! Now I don't even care about rain or it fogging up. I deal with more buffeting now, but taking it off is 10 times worse!... Personally, I feel much safer this way. I CAN SEE!

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
My Plexi-2 would totally fog up in the right cold weather conditions which pretty much blinded me and rain seemed to be a problem no matter what I used on it. Even in great conditions when the sun was in my face, the glare of every little spider web scratch became so prominant that it hindered my vision. So, after reading a windshield cut down thread, (Denny linked it in this thread) I decided to try it. Man I really like being able to see over the stupid thing! Now I don't even care about rain or it fogging up. I deal with more buffeting now, but taking it off is 10 times worse!... Personally, I feel much safer this way. I CAN SEE!
Sounds as if you just had a badly scratched/old windscreen. Mine is pretty much invisable in clear weather, even in bright sun in varied angles.
Those tiny scratches not only "hold" water droplets , but can cause bad glare. The fix is to polish the screen using the Novis cleaner system, or just replace the shield.

Some cleaners/waxes can actually cause those spider scratches, so make sure what you use is specificly for the type of plastic your windscreen is made from.

KM

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
For spider scratches you can fill them with turtle wax. It is very effective, and prevents more scratches. I look over my windscreen when it is wet or foggy. I have removed it for summer weather. When I start out for home after work the bike is usually covered with dew, so I have a chamois in the bag and use it to dry the seat and tank, If it is raining, or likely to begin raining, I keep the chamois stuffed up and hanging out of my left sleeve so I can wipe my helmet screen with it. I have toyed with the idea of having a hankerchief-sized chamois with a hole in one corner so it can stay on my thumb while I ride.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Anymore I try not to ride in the rain or fog... But I did pick up a bottle of polish at china-mart that really helped the dullness of my face shield, and I'll bet it would do good things for a windshield, it is a plastic polish by Mequires called "Plast-X" and comes in a white bottle, and is in the wax section... It even did some good for my 97 Merc. headlights...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
Also....

You should never wipe your windscreen side to side, you should always wipe it up and down. Scratches that develop horizontilly scatter light much worse here. The curve of most screens is side to side too, so light scratches that run up and down are fairly invisable and rarely cause glare at night...

And OHC.... wearing polarized sunglasses do make it easier to see when it is raining...durring the day.

Light reflecting off all the wet stuff, cars and roads, not to mention the droplets of rain themselves , cause glare. You can actually see farther down the road in a heavy rain if you have polarized glasses on.

(I wear them ALL the time durring the day....as I am a bit photophobic anyway...lol)

And jimkonst, they make gloves with the backs of the fingers covered in chamois specificly for wiping off helmet visors....like these:
http://www.bobscycle.com/browse.cfm/4,114592.html?AFF=690FGL

KM

·
Registered
164 Posts
All that may be....but all I'm saying is nothing compares to seeing over it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts