Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Plexistar 2 and installed it on my new 750 a couple months ago. I've been riding a little bit with it being colder. Today it was near 80 degrees and I ran a test. I went out for an hour WITH the windscreen and then an hour WITHOUT it. What a difference.

With it on: Can see over the top just fine, but when going up or down hills I have to look through the screen. Very little wind on my hands, chest and face (opened up my visor to see), but a good deal of wind noise that comes and goes around my head, sometimes whooshing very loudly. Can't always hear the engine. Tried different positions of the screen - not much difference.

With it off: Even, constant wind over my body, LESS noise (huh??), certainly a cooler ride, better viewing field of vision - more open feeling is, well, very nice! Over 55-60 MPH the wind noise gets pretty strong (although consistent) and I notice it seems a bit less comfortable - like I have to hang on. I do hear the engine better.

My less than professional take on all this: for a commute - skip the screen? For a longer trip with higher speeds, clamp it on?

Your thoughts?

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I think I feel the same way, for the most part I like the openess but for the long commute it would be nice to not have the wind beating on you as much.

·
Registered
411 Posts
No desire to ride without the screen. I didn't care for the air pressure on my torso while riding without it. I'll put up with the other stuff to not have that air pressure since it can get very tiring, very quickly.

--FA

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I installed a Memphis Fats last fall which I cut down a few inches so I could see over it. I was thinking I would use only for cold days, but just got back from about an hour and a half cruise and having the windshield was nice! It was close to 75 here today - so just about perfect riding weather. So now I have the same dilema - not sure how often I will take it off!

·
2,527 Posts
I wouldn't give mine up, especially with all the fields and wooded areas around here, we get alot of bugs. I would rather clean the windscreen than my visor.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Windscreen, Highway Pegs, Drivers Backrest and a mountain road!!! :rockon:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I bought '03 with the Plexistar 2 on it. I always wondered so at one point I took it off to see what the difference was.....I'll never do that again! The first thing I noticed was the HUGE wind difference against me. My leather jacket became a sail and it was difficult to hang on to the bike. After a 30 minute ride, I actually had arm pump. At 50 mph the wind also kept trying to lift up my full face helmet. Took the fun right out of ridin' it! Now I know how much I like my windshield.

·
Registered
96 Posts
x2 on the wind beating you up! I rode about 130-140 miles today, a lot of that over 50 mph and the wind completely wore me out....i was tired of hangin on by the time i got home! I'll be getting a windshield as soon as funds allow...

·
Registered
363 Posts
i have rode with and without a windscreen. no contest, with is better. when i was younger and into going fast (over 120mph) i think a windscreen would have made a big diffrence, but now that i am older and (wiser ??) lol. i like to cruise and enjoy the open road with out the wind trying to rip things off of me. and on a long ride it cant be beat. i hope to never ride with out a wind screen

ride long and ride safe

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
When I got my bike it had no windscreen which is how I rode it for the first 8 months. In January I bought a NC Plexifaring from Cindy and while I could see a big difference especially in the cold weather I wasn't sure if I'd still want it on once the weather warmed up. Well we've had ourselves a little spring thaw this weekend and today I got out for an hour and a half and I think it makes a huge difference on a longer ride. I don't feel like I've been beat up at the end of a ride. Now I will admit that I'm not crazy about the look of that big faring (I think the VN 750 has great lines and looks great naked) but for comfort on a longer ride I can't see doing without it.

A couple of things I've noticed that others have mentioned in this thread...
  • Sound: I can hear the bike better. The nuances of the engine that used to dissapate around me are now funneled back up toward my ears
  • Buffeting: Don't get your helmet in the wrong spot or the buffeting can be quite severe
  • Light reflection: I think someone else mentioned this on another thread but as it starts to get dark the reflection of the turn signals and the guages can be a bit distracting
  • Open face riding: I found I can ride with the face shield open on my full face helmet and I don't feel like my skin is being torn from my skull.
I may buy a smaller screen for the warm weather (like a NC street shield) but I don't think I'll ride without one anymore.

Just one man's opinion,
R

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I have both a large and a small screen PF3 for spring and fall and a spitfire for the rest of the time (both bought used). Each has its merits and I wount ride bare again.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
I'd have to go with the crowd here...once you have one you don't want to not have one.

I too had a PS2. Mine however was cut down some, and it did take me awhile to set it up so I got no more wind buffeting, which sounds like the OP's problem. When set up right the windscreen should be a "cone of silence" (as in quiet as hell) and make engine sounds easier to hear.

To achieve this takes alot of trial and error, but after having 3-4 inches cut off the top of mine, trying different angles of rake, I finally achieved success by lowering the headlight an inch.
see side by side photo here:
http://tinyurl.com/desakt

This allowed a bit more air to come up behind the windscreen and ended the helmet buffeting problem for me.

I never had a problem looking throught the windscreen, and that is wha I did most of the time...although if needed I could just sit up real straight and look over it.

If you are getting more noise with your screen than without it, it is either not set up right, or is the wrong screen for you.

If you are 6 foot 2 you will likely need it set up differently than someone 5 foot 9 (like me) ALSO, what helmet you wear can make a big difference in the amount of noise you encounter. My well loved AF S2 with the dragon motief worked great on my Vulcan but was annoying loud on my FJR. My KBC was fairly quiet on the yamaha but more noisey on the Vulcan...so a switch in helmets sometimes does the trick with wind noise.

But yeah, I'll never own a bike without some kind of windscreen, and the bigger the better , as I also have to consider my passenger.

KM

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
No windscreen is nice in perfect conditions at lower speeds. How often is that? Pretty darn rare. I've had a Memphis Fats for about a year and I'd never go without again. Makes all the rides enjoyable.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I think I feel the same way, for the most part I like the openess but for the long commute it would be nice to not have the wind beating on you as much.
amen... that's my argument for needing 2 bikes.. one for cruisin'/ round town and one for tourin'/ long trips!

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you are getting more noise with your screen than without it, it is either not set up right, or is the wrong screen for you.

If you are 6 foot 2 you will likely need it set up differently than someone 5 foot 9 (like me) ALSO, what helmet you wear can make a big difference in the amount of noise you encounter. My well loved AF S2 with the dragon motief worked great on my Vulcan but was annoying loud on my FJR. My KBC was fairly quiet on the yamaha but more noisey on the Vulcan...so a switch in helmets sometimes does the trick with wind noise.
Hmmm... yes there is more noise with it. I removed the Plexi2 and put on a NC Street Shield. It's smaller and keeps the wind off my face and chest pretty well, but the rushing of wind at my ears is really unfortunate and annoying. Helmet is HJC CL-SP, and a lot quieter without a shield.

I will try to modify the rake of the shield the next chance I get. I don't know what you mean by "the right shield for me". I don't exactly have free money to toss around on experimenting with different screens or helmets. I'm 6'1" and tall in the saddle. I know this about me... If it's a hassle to ride, I won't.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
I have a PF3 with 1.5" cut off the top. Makes all the difference in the world. I once took it off for a few days. I liked the "look" but I didn't like the "ride"!

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
okay - here's an update. I got home from work today and decided to run another experiment. First off, I found the Street Shield was raked back too far to that was adjusted forward. It is now more in line with the forks and is higher as a result. Secondly, I inserted a pair of ear plugs - the ones I use when cutting the lawn. They block about 32 dB, or at least that's what the package said.

Rode for 20 minutes with the plugs in. The airflow around me was very good and all I could really hear was the low, warm rumble of my engine, the far off whisps of the wind above my head, a soft whoosh as cars or trucks passed by and of course, my horn when I pressed the button. (There were no other horns or sirens since the Fire Department and EMS people decided not to participate) What I didn't like was the vibration of the plugs in my ears, but that was still better than the irritating and even deafening wind gusts.

Then I pulled over and removed the ear plugs for the 20 minute return trip. Naturally I could hear everything much more clearly now. Since raising the rake of the shield I noticed an immediate improvement in the loudness of the wind without the ear plugs as I picked up speed. In fact, if I tipped my head downward it got even quieter, although I ended up looking through the shield instead of over it as I prefer. Tells me I have some low/mid frequency rumble coming from the bottom of the helmet. That said, I think the position of the windscreen is optimal for my size and it will likely remain. Finally, I will look into some ear plugs that don't reduce the sound quite so much. The feeling of isolation was indeed peaceful, but I am concerned I may not hear what I really need to when the time comes.

That's it. I'll be on my way now. Thanks for listening and happy riding!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts