Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just tried starting the bike for the first time in 10 weeks and it will only run on choke. it tries to start but i can only get it started on choke and then it will die like it should if left on choke and if i let the choke off even a hair it will die.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
I'd drain the carbs, fill them with Sea Foam, and let sit 24-48 hours. If you're in a hurry, remove the drain screws and insert a straw on a can of carb spray and let 'er rip.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
10 weeks with gas in the carbs? No wonder it won't run. The jets are plugged up. The reason it will run on choke is that the Vulcan 750 doesn't actually have a choke, it has an enrichening circuit, which bypasses both the main and pilot jets. When you turn the "choke" off, it no longer gets gas. I agree with draining the carbs and filling them with Seafoam and letting them soak. Try to start it with the carbs full of nothing but Seafoam. It will fire, but probably won't run. The idea is to actually suck Seafoam into the jets. I don't recommend any kind of automotive carb cleaner, it is keytone based, and will damage the rubber and plastic parts in the carb. If the Seafoam doesn't work the first time, try it a couple more times before pulling the carbs to clean them.

I strongly recommend that if a bike is going to sit that long, that you drain the carbs, fill them with WD-40, then drain that. It wil protect the inside of the empty carbs from corrosion. And yes, I know a lot of the time people do not PLAN on it sitting that long, myself included. I have done the same thing you did, and I paid the price. Now I try to watch it.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Jerry, my bike sat for the best part of a year after my accident with a half full fuel tank and gas in the carbs. It started without any problems the next summer. And that was before I knew anything about Seafoam.

It has sat through the winters of 2009 and 2010 with Seafoamed gas and started well the next summers too. For example after the winter storage last spring I cranked it over for about 15 seconds, then let the starter cool for 30 seconds, then cranked again for 10 seconds when it caught and ran.

I did run the carbs dry this fall before leaving it sit for another winter. I expect it will start right up after a few seconds cranking again.

Your Arizona temps are hotter than ours, so the fuel may evaporate quicker than mine does. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
The same here,as OlHoss said !. I been leaving mine with fuel in tank and never drained the carbs in the 9 years iv'e had it !. It stands outside under a canvas sheet throughout the 4-5 months of the hard british winters. All i do is charge the battery,crank it a few times (like OlHoss) and vroooom,off it goes !!. Ps,,hope im not pushing my luck posting this on here !,,cos its going to be another 2 months before it gets started for the roads here in the uk,,far too much ice about yet. ROLL ON THE SUMMER :smiley_th

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
So how do I run the carbs dry? Turn off the fuel while it is running?
You got it. Just turn the petcock/fuel valve off while the engine is running and let it go til it quits. :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
You may be able to get a little more out by utilizing the carb drain screws.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts