Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
GreatDays
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 4 turn signals on the card wife found out and laid down the law

Probably better off selling it anyway if it comes between the relationship.
Dagnabbit the compromises of marriage. What should I sell this one for, I have the new turn signals coming so with that cosmetically its in great shape

I was 'selling' it to my buddy but she nixed that immediately so I have to actually really sell it. Has 25k miles 1993 Vulcan 750 cosmetically its an 8 on a 1-10 scale.

I took the bike after doing a big sheetrock job from a guy so I have no idea what they're worth but my sheetrock job was 1 week long, hang tape and texture I did 2 sessions of mud then texture 40 hours I would like to think I can get $1250 from a sale as a rock bottom price but list it for $1500 let them talk me down

Is it reasonable?

Meanwhile I haint gave up yet am trying to get her on the passenger seat and maybe she'll take a likin to the bike! I doubt it :(

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Check with kelly blue book for your area. IMO the bike is well worth $1500 - $1800 if running smooth and cosmetically clean.

If I were closer I'd tell you I'll be right over and attempt to sway her opinion. Silly how they like to take our toys away and make us grow up? If you do get her on the back, take a nice easy ride somewhere and stop and offer her the keys for the way back, crazier things have worked.

Good luck!! Would be a shame to get rid of her after all the work (either one)

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
If you do get her on the back,
I thought you said get her on her back,and I thought "where is this going?"

A little advice to the OP, if she gets that bent out of shape over some signal lights and is that demanding,weigh your options carefully.I sold a bike once in the interest of marital bliss ,I loved them both and now they are both gone.But I have had several bikes since then,no more wives though.Just saying.
Well ,I have had other wives....... but I gave them back ;)

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,718 Posts
with my wife, she would keep the VN750 and tell me to get out! lol

as for the asking price on your bike? put it up for $2000, and let them talk you down. your bike is worth $1500-$1800 easy!

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
my wife has a whole different outlook on the bike after taking her for a couple long country rides, last time she came home got on the net and started looking at riding gear! good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
If you are in serious financial difficulty, and you wife just plain doesn't like motorcycles, getting rid of it might be the right thing to do. But. If you are a long time "committed" rider, and owned a motorcycle when you got married, and are not losing the house, I would keep it. If riding is a serious part of your life, you simply just give it up. But OTOH, if so, did she know that? Things are not always as simple as they seem.

I got married 22 years ago, to someone who knew riding was an important part of my life, and knew that I would not be giving up my motorcycle. All seemed well, until a few months later, when she brought up getting rid of the motorcycle again. I refused to even discuss it. We had discussed it BEFORE getting married. She knew the deal. Then we had two daughters, and she started up on it again. Used every dirty trick in the book, even to the point of saying, "what happens if you get killed in a motorcycle accident and the kids have no father". I was even in the doghouse for 2 days for buying a motorcycle magazine Less than 2 years later we were divorced. Yes, there were other things involved other than a motorcycle, quite a few incompatibility issues.

Shortly after the divorce is when I bought my first Vulcan 750, a '93. I also bought a dirt bike. And as soon as the kids were old enough, I bought them dirt bikes too, and started teaching them to ride, and they loved it. Their mother didn't, and of course got very upset, but since they loved it so much, she didn't forbid it (she had custody, as is customary in my state) They both became accomplished dirt riders, and one got her endorsement at 18, after taking the MSF course. I got her a Rebel 250, in the hopes we would be able to ride together, but it didn't last very long, she wound up getting married, and the younger one so far hasn''t shown an interest in street riding, and I have not pushed her, because I know how dangerous it is if you don't take it VERY seriously. So I still have the Rebel, which sits around a lot, along with several other bikes. I just sold the Ninja 500 yesterday, because I could no longer ride it without severe pain, and knew it wasn't going to get any better.

This is just my opinion, having failed at marriage myself I am no expert, but I don't feel that anyone has a right to give their husband or wife an ultimatum about anything reasonable, and there is nothing unreasonable about owning a motorcycle. I fully understand the value of a "good" marriage, but any marriage is supposed to be a partnership, with compromises, and very few absolutes. You may already have problems that getting rid of a motorcycle won't solve, at least more than temporarily. I would be, and was, very resentful at her demands that I give up my motorcycle, and that resentment would have remained even if I had gotten rid of it.

I won't go any farther, it sounds like you have already decided to give it up, and that is your choice. I have no way of knowing what the situation is, but I do advise thinking about it and talking to her about it some more if you really want to keep it. If not, then list it on Craigslist at high bluebook value, so you have wiggle room, relist it every few days, and drop the price occasionally. The longer it takes to sell, the longer you have to ride it, unless she has forbidden that too, in which case I know what I would do.

·
2,519 Posts
You'll probably be able to sell it for more in the spring when everyone is having riding fever. Talk her into waiting till then and maybe she'll forgive and forget when the time comes.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
A divorce will cost more than the turnsignals and bike, but might make you happier in the long run. ;)

Many marriages end over arguments about money. I'd never marry a woman that had issues about me owning a bike or spending money for it, as long as that spending was reasonable with our income.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
A divorce will cost more than the turnsignals and bike, but might make you happier in the long run.
^Reminds me of the old joke,"Why does a divorce cost so much?..Because sometimes it's worth it":)

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
Makes it tough since you weren't a rider when you got married. I can understand her added concern over your new risky hobby as it pertains to the future of her children having a daddy in one piece. That's the mindset of non-riders, even though it seems nonsensical to me. Let's see ... I'll get rid of you now, so I don't have to do all that worrying. ok .. right.
Exposing yourself to street riding is serious business, and should be considered as such.
Some of us can not imagine not riding. I assume it is for the endorfin rush we are now hooked on. I was a rider before I was a husband, made it a little easier for me to assimilate her in to my world. I was lucky. If not for that, I would of course trade in the bike for a happy marriage with a great woman. There are other things in life to get your "hit", but very few great compatible life partners.

I agree that $2000 is a good starting price to work from. But I also think I would try to get her to go for a nice, safe ride. Do your maintenence, if you get stranded with her, that would likely be the clincher.

Have a good one.

~~C8>

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I dated a woman a while ago that told me I can't have the bike AND fly helicopters. Her arguement was that I was engaged in too many activities where it's easy to get hurt or worse. I ignored her for a while, never getting rid of the bike and not quitting flight school. She didn't know enough about either one to make that call. It might be counterintuitive to say helicopters are safe but that doesn't make it less true. So I ignored her. Finally at dinner she said, "I know you've been ignoring me over this but I'm done being ignored. Get rid of the bike by the end of next week. I'm not kidding." I said, "You'd never ask to get rid of it if you had any idea how much I truly enjoy it. The fact is: my life is exponentially better because that machine is in it. Taking that away from me for any reason is wrong. If you really cared about me, you'd never let me get rid of it. I'm never selling it and that's all I'll say about it." After that, she huffed and puffed every time I rode it but she never brought it up again. If it's financial I understand. If its not, help her see it from your side.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
If it's financial I understand. If its not, help her see it from your side.
I agree, just give her a hug, and tell her how you will miss her...lol...
It's not me, but after 52 yrs. I can say that and get by with it...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
GreatDays
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its the art of the compromise these relationships isnt it, however if I took up skeet shooting she would not have a problem with it even though the guns make it dangerous when the relationship happens you have to do a give and take I reckon

with the divorce rate at 50% all this gives you something as silver lining 'well if the marriage blows up I can start hitting on all these hot ladies again and ride again and go to Vegas for 3 day weekends again' it has its tradeoffs but theres no end in sight on this one -- yet

The bike is great fun though sometimes the wifes out there just like to have a control on you and boss you around a bit keep you in line

just like Moms I reckon probably instinctive

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Yes, relationships require compromise. Does she know that? She could bend a little too here and there. Sounds like you're aight though. You don't seem heartbroken over selling the bike as I know some peeps here would be. In fact, most...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think I am going to try something... I am going to tell Dawn to get rid of her bike and see how far that goes. Sounds like a good way to get into an argument, and make up afterwards. ;)

She rode before we met. And I never said a word (and never would) when she would go for rides. Instead, I took the MSF course and decided to join her. She did go along with me on a couple of off road trail rides and decided it really wasn't what she enjoyed. But she does accept that fact that I enjoy it and says go ahead.

Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Ive found out that after ya marry #3 things get a widdle better! ( Wisdom has a way with their heads after a while, so it seems)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Ok, first off, I really don't get what the deal is lol I mean, it seems she was upset about you buying the turn signals, not specifically about the riding? so, it's a financial thing? but then again turn signals are quite a necessity, so it's not some unnecessary expense like buying chrome stuff just to make it look shiny... I bet if turn signals went out in her car, it'd be ok to buy them... maybe it's cause the bike's an extra and not your main transportation? then sell the car and keep the bike! lol

I dunno, I just don't get what it's about lol but anyway...

When I got together with my gf... I made one thing clear. I'm very flexible in most things, I will meet you halfway and compromise about almost everything... but there are just a few things I LOVE and will never give up, which are cars, bikes (even though I just got my first one about a year ago) music/guitar and computers.

It was easy for her to understand the music part because she's a singer herself and loves music. Cars and bikes she can relate as she likes "cute" ones lol or good looking trucks... although she still doesn't fully get what I like about cars and bikes. Now computers, I'm sure she really doesn't understand at all what I like about them lol. But still, I laid it out for her to decide if she wanted to be with me or with someone that doesn't like these things. She made her choice and here are... been living together for about 3 years now (I think lol).

There are some things I just can't understand about her too... like obsessing over shoes and makeup and stuff... but hell, if I can keep riding and stuff, she can keep liking those things lol.

I think it's definitely ok to get rid of the bike if you're not that much into it though. For some of us, it's way more than just a machine or a transport and it'd be hard to give it up. But it's understandable that it's not the case for everyone that owns a bike!

So whatever you do, for whatever reason, best of luck to ya, wish you the best possible outcome out of it.

·
GreatDays
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I put on my sulking hat after the job today and came home a bit miffed and she came around I had borrowed my buddy's wife's helmet and got her on the back

You know you have a long road ahead of you when your passenger makes sure she sits straight up anyway when the bike leans in for the corners

you tell her 'you have to lean in with the bike in the corners' and she sits straight up and leans forward

About 2 blocks from the house I pulled over and shut the motor off and took off the helmets and finally figured out how to say it "when we go into a corner your upper body must *exactly* like mine just wrap your arms around and dont sit up straight your upper body has to be in line with mine"

what a pain maybe I'll sell the dang thing after all...........:rolleyes:

she said she liked it 'sort of'

I took off my sulking hat for now...

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Make sure she's gives you a forwarding address.

Jon

1 - 20 of 26 Posts