·
Registered
483 Posts
Yea that was crazy...

wow.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I made a 720p slow motion vid of this, but my free hosting site converts to lower quality. If anyone wants the HQ clip, PM me with your email.
I noticed in the slowmo that the car just behind the oncoming truck got involved too. The box truck sideswiped it and sent it sideways. Possibly a good thing. I also think Im seeing one of the involved (truck driver I think) jumping from truck and sliding with the debris.

http://www.xanga.com/media/xangavideoembedplayer.swf?i=1201038&m=2af1a

...hope this works....

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
You can see the people throw out of the car in the Slow Mo, crazy.......

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
2 vidcaps...in the first, is the driver of the SUV...he got tossed.....second pic is the passenger (not the truck driver as I had thought), and it seems like the car's gonna hit him, but it didnt because he slid past its path....by inches.

..and Peter, got yer PM, but need yer email to send.

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Wow, should have locked up the brakes- if that's even possible these days. It might have kept him on the downhill side of the crown.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Im just wonderin, but this looks like springtime in Canada (I drove on similar roads in NYs Adirondacks, same period). In the Dacks, we had a lotta frost heaves crossing spruce bogs that could creep up on ya (couldnt see em with snow on the road). I got sent for 5 360's at 90mph once while racing a State Trooper. Luckily the snowbanks on the sides were 12 feet tall.
I wonder if this guy caught one, or his cellphone rang. I saw nothing provoking his fishtail until his front tire drifted into the centerline slush. Musta been a tourist.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Looks to me like the SUV wandered onto the center line that appears to have slush from the plowed road. It's left side hydroplanes ...he over corrects, veers right into the box truck, which pushes his front end off as he wrongly turns away from the truck, sending him off far left into the path of the oncoming semi.

The SUV likely was rear wheel drive. The driver turned away from the slide instead of into it...which you are supposed to do.

I had the same thing happen to me in my Miata whe trying to change lanes. Lucky I didn't panic and turned into the spin instead of away from it and avoided ramming the center guard rail.

When it's wet or the roads have been just partly plowed of snow I still see fools in full size pick ups simply going to fast. Apparently they think because their in a "4X4" or SUV that they can drive through anything.

Odd that all the vehicles I see off the road do to spinouts are big Trucks and SUVs. Idiots.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I don't know about you guys but I get a slight panic feeling when I'm slightly over the speed I should be doing - rain, snow, or sunshine. Snow like this, even on the highway, I might be doing 35 in the Jeep. I know when I hit the unsafe speed because I start to feel a little nervous. Whenever I do, I slow down immediately - Jeep, bike, or helicopter. And sometimes it can be good. Like in a controlled environment, good conditions, etc. Then it's that adrenalin rush I crave. Most of the time though, it's more of a "Spidey sense" to be heeded. Do you guys ever get that feeling?

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Do you guys ever get that feeling?
...mostly after I hit the age of 50....

Teens : dropped some acid (the good stuff) and ended up in Big Sur at a commune...stayed 2 months...

20's : Drag raced and did aerobatic flying

30's : Had a '69 911 Porsche. Played a game called "double the yellow curve speeds".

40's : Tornament bass fishing in a boat that went 90mph...NOT Hudson River friendly.

50's : kids gone, got another bike after 27 yrs, I began to enjoy "the putting around"....I'd love to have an old WW2 45c.i. Harley and never do over 45 with it ! The Vulcan's gonna get me in trouble, lol. But the one time I opened her up to 110, said "thats nuff" (saw my daughter standing over my coffin) Bike is 27, she's 29....back to cruising oldfart style....:smiley_th:beerchug:

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
my voice usually says "HEY STUPID":doh:

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
Wolfie i agree on the 45:smiley_thi am trying to piece together a 78 shovel right now,but finances...

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...cool !....I had a pre-AMF engineered early 72 shovel (SuperGlide, customed by me)...'53 wide glide front end stripped, spoked/spool front wheel with Avon tire, and a REAL bobbed rear fender off the '53 dresser (removed the hinged part, cut the middle out then rewelded...was "bobber length" but with the traditional "whoop tail" at the back and a tombstone taillight)...wish I hadnt have sold it, but had to pay the bills for my daughter's birth (no real regrets, at 29, she's still an angel !).

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
...cool !....I had a pre-AMF engineered early 72 shovel (SuperGlide, customed by me)...'53 wide glide front end stripped, spoked/spool front wheel with Avon tire, and a REAL bobbed rear fender off the '53 dresser (removed the hinged part, cut the middle out then rewelded...was "bobber length" but with the traditional "whoop tail" at the back and a tombstone taillight)...wish I hadnt have sold it, but had to pay the bills for my daughter's birth (no real regrets, at 29, she's still an angel !).
I hear ya there brother.family first.i am looking into a 93'[email protected] motor as right now i am almost to a roller state.:smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Understood...my Vulcan is my only transport, so all my attention is into it. Kids both grown and gone...wife, "meh" (wish was gone)...so now I got the "V"...fun to work on em again after so many years like I did on my other bikes. Just too damned modern for me.
And I know Norwich well, btw. My friend has a farm in Sidney (where I hunted/snowmobiled/drank)...and I used to race motocross in Unadilla. All a long time ago though sadly (70's). Nice country, and just at the edge of flatlands, lol.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
Understood...my Vulcan is my only transport, so all my attention is into it. Kids both grown and gone...wife, "meh" (wish was gone)...so now I got the "V"...fun to work on em again after so many years like I did on my other bikes. Just too damned modern for me.
And I know Norwich well, btw. My friend has a farm in Sidney (where I hunted/snowmobiled/drank)...and I used to race motocross in Unadilla. All a long time ago though sadly (70's). Nice country, and just at the edge of flatlands, lol.
used to live in sidney.still have a few friends over there.have a few friends here in norwich that used to race unadilla.cool track.my attention is my bikes too,no kids just neices and nephews,so i understand.right now my car is down,so my bike is my only wheels too.none of my other bikes are running right now either,so i have no backup.luckily i only live 2 miles from the restaurant i work at.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts