Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned many bikes throughout the years. I have ripped apart and rebuilt many too. I have seen good designs and dumb designs.
An example of a dumb idea... a 2000 Honda Valkyrie that you have to remove the motor to change the starter. Luckily... Honda starters seem to last forever. Actually, everything on the Valkyrie lasts forever.
The dumbest design I have seen to date besides mounting a heat sensitive voltage regulator directly over the exhaust on the VN750 is having to remove the motor in order to change the stator on the VN750 especially considering the stator is a potential weak spot (the entire charging system is actually).
You would think that since Kawasaki made the bike from around 1987 to 2007 they would have changed the design of the motor case so that you could remove and replace the stator without removing the engine.
There are so much great engineering involved on the bike.. they really dropped the ball for 20 years on that one.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
There are so much great engineering involved on the bike.. they really dropped the ball for 20 years on that one.
Not if you own a Kaw dealership and repair shop. "Planned obsolescence." Makes 'em about $1000 per stator failure. :hitanykey

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
But now you can do the stator cover mod and it's no biggie!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
From other reading I have done, the stator/charging system is a weak point on most small and midsized motorcycles. However most of them do not require an engine pull to replace it.

The only reason such a big deal has been made of it on this board is because a stator replacement HAS required an engine pull/tilt on the vn750, until the recent development of TuxedoSeven`s $20 case mod.

If Ma Kaw had made the vn750 with a removable sub-frame on the left side, the same as on the right side, the stator replacement could be accomplished in just a couple of hours.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
but then what challenges would we have to keep us up late at night racking our brains for?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
but then what challenges would we have to keep us up late at night racking our brains for?
1. an easier, less expensive earshave
2. a single carb to feed both cylinders,
3. or an easier way to pull the carbs,
4. or change the jets with the carbs in place.
5. How to create the perfect Kouchasaki seat.
6. How to double the power output of the charging system.
7. How to lube the splines with a gease zerk
8. Probably half a dozen more if I think long enough

See, still lots of stuff to think about. :smiley_th

1 - 7 of 7 Posts