Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Most people seem to agree that it's to get a better combustion of the gas.
If I remember correctly, for each cylinder, one plug fires very quickly after the other. Not both at once.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not a engineer but I've thought the same thing.

My opinion
In the combustion chamber, the location, number of and size of valves is less than ideal for a single plug, so they tend to compensate a incomplete burn by adding a plug. I believe that in all U.S. cars since the late 70's or so, there is a EGR valve to burn, unburned gases instead of two plugs but for pollution reasons.

There is a tendency in the past 30 plus years for more and larger valves, for better air flow which means more power and or efficient.

·
Registered
28 Posts
some people also ask "why DOHC?" or "Why does it rev so high?"

The answer is that this bike was introduced with such a high tech V-Twin package at the time that it lasted another 20 years in the market virtually unchanged and could still smoke all the other stock V-twin 750's released!

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
I agree with Hyper on this one. The bike has very good acceleration for a 750cc and it looks like the two plugs per cylinder are the reason.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Old Aircraft mechanic

With two plugs there is better combustion in the cylinders. Better burning of the gas vapers. The way the old piston planes worked they both fired at the same time, this causes the gas to burn evenly in the cylinder and more complete. Old Air Force Dude.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Had a Nissan pickup with a Nap-Z engine that had two plugs per cylinder and one was for combustion and the other plug was for pre exhaust, but I think
on our bike both plugs are for combustion.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I to thought the 2nd set of plugs were for emissions mostly. Either way it does smoke all of the true V-twins out there. Even outran a 1100 Vstar... twice.

·
Now what
400 Posts
i have a 86' vulcan vn750. My manual says I have twin cylinders. So why do I have 4 spark plugs?
There's no room on top of the cylinder for a spark plug so a spark plug is put on the side. That gives a funky asymmetrical burn so a second plug is put on the other side to give two flame fronts that meet in the center. A good thing for an engine that has to cruise at over 4500 rpm on the freeway.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The two plug design has to do also with the speed the flame front spreads inside the combustion chamber. All things been the same the leaner the mixture the slower the flame front spreads so having 2 instead of just one is very good for high speed burning of the fuel.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ahem....just to set the record straight; my stock Suzuki 800 Intruder will run circles around my stock VN750.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Your right Dan, my bad. I should have put it all 750 V-twins. The 800 is about .3 10ths faster in the quarter mile.

·
Registered
198 Posts
That's OK, Woody, I just had to get my two bits in. HOWEVER, my VN750 is better in so many ways: corners better, more comfortable, holds the road better, no valve adjustments to do. Valve adjustment (every 4000 miles) on my Intruder is an all day knuckle buster for me. Can't stand it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
in alfisti circles its called a "twin spark" engine, used in alfa and toyota race cars in the old days- pretty fun, they cascade the spark so they do not fire at the same time-- but give a controlled burn across the whole stroke-(these are twin overhead cam - hemispherical )

for the same reason we dont want to use high octane gas, we want a sudden explosion and release, not a slow burn, so ours go at the same time i suspect-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts